“fabulous hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 96 Hotels in Sorrento
alexandria,scotland
“fabulous hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2013

we stayed here for our honeymoon and it was fabulous. the room was lovely, spacious and very clean. the staff were all very friendly. the reception staff were helpful with any questions we had and the restaurant staff were amazing. the view from our balcony was stunning over the bay of sorrento. a beautiful hotel and we loved staying here.

Room Tip: we chose a junior suite and it was lovely
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (172)
Dallas, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

We stayed at Hotel Belair for 3 nights of our May honeymoon, and we couldn't have chosen a better way to end our trip to Italy. As every review states, the view is breathtaking. I would wake up in the middle of the night just look off our balcony. The breakfast was nice and served overlooking the sea, but we didn't have any other meals at the hotel so I can't review that. The only thing that is a disadvantage is that the walk into town can be a bit scary as it's on the side of the road where bikes and cars are zooming by. However, its location is what gives it the spectacular views. I can't wait to visit again!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Southampton
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We stayed here for 2 nights in October . The views are the best in Sorrento and the rooms although old have character and are very clean . The food is ok , nothing special unfortunately and this was italy so we expected more, having said that the breakfast was very good . Evening meal bland but service excellent , nice selection of wine at a good price . Very friendly staff and nice pool , would be lovely in the summer bit cold in october . Ask for a room with a large terrace above the pool as these come with sun loungers . Would visit again but would nt eat in there , not that you need to sorrento has so many decent restaurants .

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

The location of this hotel must be one of few places to have such a stunning view of Sorrento. We stayed here during our honeymoon and spent most evenings on the balcony with a bottle of champagne, watching the sun go down and the lights coming on over the water. And that's what you're paying for - this hotel is expensive, the decor is tired and old fashioned and the food for the evening meals was terrible (tried it once). But if you can put up with that, in my opinion, it's worth staying for the view! It's also worth noting - and I really hope nobody is offended by this comment - that the clientele are very much in the 'older generation'. We were pleasantly surprised to find one other couple who were also on their FIRST honeymoon!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

There really is no better view in Sorrento but "The Belair". The hotels in town look directly out on the "Bay of Naples". However the "Belair" is built on the side of a cliff, giving their guests a panoramic view of the Sorrento Coast, The Sorrento Harbor, The Bay of Naples, Mt. Vesuvius and the lights of Naples at Night. We stayed 4 days at the "Belair". Every morning we were greeted by that wonderful view. Every morning at least one or more cruise ship were tendering in the harbor. After touring, Pompeii one day and driving the Amalfi Coast another day it was wonderful to just relax and enjoy that spectacular view. Every night we would watch it get dark and admire all the lights beginning to glow from Sorrento all around the bay to Naples. We had a car, but every evening we strolled down the lane to town. It is only 10 minutes and a beautiful walk. You pass hotels built on the other side of the road that also offer that spectacular view, however from their balconies you hear and see the street. The "Belair" is quiet with no street view or noise. The "Belair" is furnished in an old "Italian" style. The furnishing in our room were older but the room was very clean. We commented to ourselves, "That if they updated these rooms they could charge a lot more money". The value is that this is a clean, wonderful hotel with a "Million Dollar View"

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
New York CIty
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

After spending a lot of time finding the right place, we began our honeymoon at Hotel Belair. It was absolutely everything we were wanting and expecting and more.

Room : We stayed in the superior double, on the 3rd floor with the largest hotel terrace I have ever seen!!! The room was huge, bed large and comfortable, bathroom large, but the terrace with the breathtaking view would have been enough for us! We had breakfast out there, drank champagne, and just awed at the beauty the view had to offer. Though it's not modern, you absolutely have the feeling that you are in Sorrento, Italy; and there, you don't need anything near modern.
Location : Couldn't have been any better! It is just a few short minutes walking to the center of town, but along the way, you continue to overlook the beautiful sea and hills! It was amazing to explore the town, eat a ton of food, and enjoy a casual, short stroll back to the hotel.

Food : We ate breakfast there every morning, just picked up some things and took it back to our room to hang out on the terrace. The food was your basic Italian spread, with eggs to order, cereal, yogurts, etc. Everything, especially the cappuccinos, was delicious and the waitstaff was extremely nice and friendly.

Trains were going on strike when we were leaving and the front desk was extremely helpful in getting us to the next destination!!

Overall, for the price, I wasn't thinking we would have the amazing experience that we did, and I would return and recommend this anyone and everyone going to Sorrento. You get the Italian feel, have every sense of being on vacation, all so close to the center of town. You simply cannot beat it. Stop searching for somewhere to stay and go here.

Room Tip: 3rd Floor was great!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Ascot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

My wife and myself went here for our honeymoon, and it was just perfect. Firstly, Sorrento is beautiful. People may say "It's so touristy. I want the REAL Italian experience". Trust me, you don't. We took the train to Herculaneum to get a shuttle up Vesuvius, accidentally missed our stop (Ercalano Scavi) and ended up having to get off at the next stop (Ercalano) and wait for 30 mins to get a train back in the opposite direction, in which time we managed to soak up the "authentic" local area, and I can tell you, it's a ghetto; decaying high-rise apartment blocks as far as the eye can see, police sirens, graffiti and cigarette butts everywhere. It looked like we were in West Philadelphia. In the context of the quaint town of Sorrento, the paint flaking off the ageing buildings gives a charming rustic character, but everyhere else between Sorrento and Naples it just looks sad and run-down. Do go up Vesuvius though, and definitely visit Pompeii; it will blow your mind. On that note, pay no attention to the brochures charging €80 per person to get to Pompeii or Vesuvius or wherever you want to go, just get the local train for €2 and soak up the culture! The bands that get on the train and busk are very entertaining too, although I'm sure the locals get annoyed by them. Also, if you ask at the train station, they'll give you a train map with all the tourist info on, which is super useful.

Now that we've got that out of the way, on to the Hotel itself.

Hotel Belair was, in short, FANTASTIC. I would recommend it to anyone. Some may comment that the decor is "outdated", but I'd call it 'classic', and undeniably Italian. It's extremely charming. Anyway, look at the pictures and see for yourself. The rooms were always clean, the staff were beyond helpful, courteous and friendly. Whenever I asked them where anything was, they always had a map and a timetable, and I never felt like they were getting irritated with my asking. Also, they speak SUCH GOOD ENGLISH! It's something I, as a lazy English person, could easily take for granted. I went armed with my Italian phrasebook in hand, but I hardly needed it (although it's always much politer if you speak to them in Italian, rather than imposing on them to speak English. We are in their country, after all, and can sometimes come across as a little presumptuous. Having said that, EVERYONE in Sorrento speaks English. Not like in "authentic" Ercalano, where nobody speaks a word of it...)

Back to the hotel, the pool is lovely (just don't look down off the edge!), they have gym facilities and lots of random "lounge rooms" to explore. Our room was perfect; understated and unassuming, but quaint and very cool (temperature-wise), which is important in southern Italy in the height of summer! the air-conditioning was ROCKING, like being breathed-on by Jack Frost himself, and the door to the balcony kept out all the noise. The bed was MA-HOOSIVE! Honestly, it was two double-beds pushed together, which made it bigger than a super-king, and it was SOOOO comfy. I slept like a baby. The showers are pretty big too, actually. The balcony is just a lovely place to sit out in the evenings and soak up the warm breeze while overlooking possibly the most beautiful view you'll ever see in your life, which brings me on to my next point...

LOCATION! If you need just one reason to stay at Hotel Belair, this would be it. It's maybe a 10 minute walk from the town, but there's a few little local shops dotted along the way where you can grab something quickly if you need it. It's close enough to the town that you have just a short scenic stroll, but far enough away that you don't get the noise. I honestly wouldn't have wanted to be any closer, but because of the way the cliff bends, we wouldn't have got the same view if we were any further away. It's literally in the "Goldilocks-zone" - not too close, not too far, but just right. It's also set into the cliff face (as you can see from the pictures), but BENEATH the street, so you get NO road noise. Also, if you're the sort that likes to have a little paddle on the beach, the only stretch of beach for miles and miles is just below the hotel (Maria Grande Harbour). Granted, it's often busy (especially if the local kids are on break from school; every kid from town seems to come to this stretch of beach), but it's the only beach around! It also has Ristorante Bagni Delfino, the top-rated hotel in Sorrento, which I'd highly suggest you check out, if not just for the experience of eating at a restaurant combined with a pier.

Also, although my wife and I only ate at the Hotel Belair restaurant once in our trip, on our last night (frankly, because we didn't know what to expect, and there are so many nice restaurants in Sorrento), I can say the food far surpassed our expectations. It was easily as good as anything else we'd eaten anywhere else in town. We had breakfast there every morning though, and it was very good. There's something about eating cake for breakfast that makes me feel a bit naughty, but it was definitely a nice change. They have lots of variety at breakfast, I'm just a cake man. My wife ate all of the many varieties of dried and cured meats and sausages. The waiting staff (I think that's what you'd call them) are absolutely lovely, some of the friendliest of any of the restaurants we ate at. And on Sundays, they have an opera singer, and he is AMAZING! Not a cheesy wannabe opera singer, I mean a genuinely really good opera singer, doing all the classics from Pavarotti, Andrea Bocelli and the like. Definitely worth hanging around for on sunday. On the other hand, if you don't want to hear opera, you'd better make sure you're not in your room on sunday evening, because the guy is LOUD, and you will be able to hear him even through your soundproof balcony doors!

Hotel Belair was flawless, honestly. I don't know why it doesn't have a higher rating than it does on this site. Just take my word that you will not be disappointed.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Belair? Share your experiences!