There's nothing that gets my back up in a hotel more than if they try to palm me off with the worst room and this is exactly what happened here. Unfortunately, it has left a bitter taste in what could otherwise been a very pleasant stay. We booked a classics room which is described as having a balcony but at the rear of the hotel. I was quite happy to accept a room without a sea view but we were at first sent to the only room on the fifth floor which is next to the lift and in the stairwell. It was just big enough to walk round the bed and the balcony looked onto a cliff wall. On complaining we were told the hotel was full and this was the room we had booked. We dug our heels in and were showns "the only other free room", which at least was in a corridor but was a floor lower and was even closer to the cliff face. Again we insisted on a further option and the third room was back on the fifth floor with a tad more room between the balcony and the cliff, but still it gets no real daylight at all. The room itself is a good size and freshly decorated it it is nothing short of dishonest not to warn guests that this is what they are booking. The hotel describes all its rooms as bright, but we need the electric light on at all times and the balcony is all but useless. There is also a considerable sound d problem because of ceramic tiled floors and poor sound insulation, but this could have been overlooked if we were not buried in a hole.
Otherwise, the hotel is very pleasant, with lovely terraces, good restaurants and public spaces. It also enjoys a very convenient location and commands great views of the bay.
I just wish I had been more forceful because I'm sure they know that even the room we were allocated is one that very few people would accept.
- Also Known As:
- Grand Hotel Sorrento
- Hotel Capodimonte
- Sorrento Capodimonte
- Hotel Capodimonte Sorrento
- Capodimonte Hotel Sorrento
- Grand Hotel Capodimonte Sorrento
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A prestigious 4 Star Superior Rating Hotel built on the lines of the typical Mediterranean architecture, positioned on the rocky mountain dominating the town of Sorrento and the enchanting Gulf of Naples. A striking and imposing hall, wonderfully designed into the rock cavern ambiance, is connected with the fifth floor of the Hotel, thanks to two fast elevators. Guests will be welcomed by a selected and highly professional staff. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Priceline, Travelocity, Expedia, Venere, Hotels.com, Tingo, Otel and Orbitz so you can book your Grand Hotel Capodimonte reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.