“So glad I booked this lovely hotel!” 5 of 5 stars

4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Capo 10, 80067 Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #12 of 96 Hotels in Sorrento
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sarajevo Canton, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“So glad I booked this lovely hotel!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

My friend was coming to visit me in Rome, where I currently live and work. I decided to treat us both to a 3-night get-away in Sorrento and, after comparing a number of hotels in the area, I decided to book the Bristol Hotel, primarily for the sea views that so many others raved about. I also opted to go all-out and reserve a junior suite, as I wanted us to have a nice terrace for morning coffee, evening glasses of wine, and daytime sunbathing. Wow! I could not have been more pleased! From the moment we walked in to the suite and first saw what was in store for us on the terrace, we were absolutely in love with this hotel. We were in room # 914, which was actually an upgrade from what I had booked, as this one included the jacuzzi on the terrace. I'm not a jacuzzi lover, so it was never used...but a nice upgrade, nonetheless. The sleeping area, sitting area, and bathroom were all huge by European standards and the terrace was incredible. Though we never ate dinner in the hotel, we enjoyed breakfast every morning in the pretty dining room, had a light snack at the pool bar one afternoon, and went to the lounge on our final night for a couple of glasses of wine on the patio, overlooking the lights of the town below. If you go there, be sure to look at the lovely tile floors in the restaurant and lounge.
I also want to particularly mention Salvatore, one of the front desk staffers. In fact, all were extremely helpful, but Salvatore just went out of his way to accommodate our needs. I wanted to change our train reservations back to Rome and was having a lot of difficulties trying to do it myself, either online or on the phone. When I asked the gentlemen at the front desk if they could help us, they took over and didn't quit until it was done...which took at least 30 minutes or more. They offered to let us go on about our day and they said they would handle it for us, which I'm sure they would have done, but I stayed with them so that I could give my credit card info for our changed reservations. I can't thank them all enough (they tag-teamed it!) for taking care of this for us and for not giving up. Finally, on our last day, we checked out before noon, spent time poolside while we waited for our ride back to Naples, and Salvatore came to find us by the pool to tell us they would have a room for us to shower and change in when we were ready. We didn't ask for that; we were prepared to just change in a bathroom in the hotel. But they offered it to us and we gratefully accepted.
I have found my spot for long weekend getaways from the hustle and bustle of Rome. Without a doubt, I will be back to the Bristol Hotel!

Room Tip: I'm going to suggest that everyone chooses a basic room without a terrace....so when I book my n...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (534)
Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Bristol hotel is fantastic! My family- 6 of us (my parents, husband, 2 children (ages 8 & 10) and I) just returned from our European vacation last week. We went to London, Amsterdam, Paris, Sorrento & Rome and out of all the hotels we stayed at during our 18 day trip (they were all nice hotels), we stayed six night stay at Bristol hotel and it was by far the best experience. We stayed in the sea view rooms with the balcony (rooms 708 & 709). We honestly could have just had 1 room with the 6 of us and would have still had plenty of room. The rooms are huge! We were greeted by really nice men at the front desk (one of the guys looks just like Tony Bennett) they are very helpful in answering any questions we had! When we got to the rooms their were 2 very large chocolate Easter eggs with a toy inside that were wrapped in beautiful floral wrap (we arrived the night before Easter)...knowing we had children with us they surprised us with those...just going way above and beyond! The girls think the Easter bunny delivered them to the hotel!! We did not opt for the half board, which allows you to choose 1 meal per day (lunch or dinner) but wish we had as my kids didn't want to leave the hotel to eat! Mateo is outstanding! My girls especially loved him, he greated us with a big smile and was sweet to all of us! He always tried to seat us by the window when possible. The sea & town view from the restaraunt is spectacular! The food was wonderful! My kids can be picky eaters at times and Matteo offered them items that were not even on the menu. They decided on margarita pizza one night and it was wonderful! Everything on the menu was really good. Breakfast was included each day and it was a huge spread of breads, pastries, eggs, bacon, juices, coffee, fruit, etc. Just a beautiful way to start the day- greeted with smiling faces, a big breakfast, pretty restaraunt and breathtaking views! The eggs and bacon are made to order so you just let them know how you like it and it's to you in just minutes...tip-bacon in Europe I found most places to not be crispy, if you like it crispy, you have to tell them you want it that way!! Their Cappuccino was very good too...highly recommend! Bristol hotel is just a short 5-10 minute walk to town and about 15-20 walk to train station or boat dock. Perfectly located so you have the beautiful views and quiet surroundings but is close enough to town that you don't need a taxi/car to go anywhere. It was just PERFECT! I will definately stay at this hotel again when I go back to Sorrento and highly recommend it to anyone traveling with family, kids, business, romantic getaway-whatever the case may be. It doesn't get better than this hotel!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
cleveland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013

We stayed for one week 5th to 12th April for my son's weddding (reception elsewhere) the rooms are well maintained and well presented we had a junior sweet room 913 with an unobstructed view of Versuvious and the Bay of Naples, the view may be equalled but never bettered, Evening turn down service rare nowadays as well as full waiter service in the resaurant and bar. The resaurant food was very good we were half board and had a choice of lunch or dinner. Service was organised by the Matre'd Mateo who's attention to detail was exceptional along again with great panoramic views over Sorrento. The hotel is an easy 15 min walk to and from Tasso Square center of Sorrento the restaurants and bars are much closer the first probably 5 min.away. WE WIIL RETURN VERY SOON

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

We got married in sorrento-August 2012. We stayed at the bristol along with about 14 other members of our wedding party. Rooms were lovely we were upgraded upgraded to a junior suite with a lovely terrace after 2 nights which was amazing. Food was superb, pool area and amenities were great. The location is brilliant for the views and only a short walk downhill into the town. Sorrento is a wonderful place and the bristol hotel made our stay all the more magical!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I have just returned from Sorrento where I got married. We had a party of 27 consisting of friends and family and 18 of us stayed at Hotel Bristol. We were upgraded to a junior suite as was my best man and another couple, my parents and daughter were also upgraded to better rooms. The rooms were all fantastic and the views excellent. The food during our stay was top notch and all the staff we came into contact with were so helpful and happy that it enhanced our entire experience. The hotel was also only a short walk into the main square whereas others need a shuttle.
I would recommend this Hotel to anyone travelling to Sorrento.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
High Wycombe, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

We were overwhelmed by the friendly and helpful staff and our 6th floor with sea view and balcony room was just perfect. Loads of space, more like a suite. Big comfy bed, great shower and a view of Sorrento, the Bay of Naples and Vesuvius to die for!
Our half board deal was perfect, the breakfasts were a little frugal but that was because we thought that we would have to pay extra for the eggs plus bacon offered each morning. We did not realise they were included until the last day! Poached or fried eggs were delicious with the bacon, followed by cereal, pastries and or toast. Plus the orange juice was delicious.
Evening meals were splendid, with a wide choice of starters and main course. Highlights included whole grilled squid, garlic prawns, spaghetti with tomato sauce and Palma ham and melon. All served by cheerful, friendly staff who were happy to help in English or Italian.
A great stay. We used the hotel as a great base for exploring the area, including the well visited attractions of Pompeii, Herculaneum and Capri, plus the wonderful Amalfi coast by bus.

Room Tip: Sea view with balcony rooms on the 7th floor was perfect.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Shrewsbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 10, 2013

(Apologies in advance for a somewhat overdue review – we holidayed here in September 2012)

Location:
On the SS145 coastal road on the Western edge of Sorrento. There's a few pros and cons here though so my advice is to reckon up carefully as to what your priorities are. Because of its position, the hotel has sublime views sideways across the bay of Sorrento. The downside is that the hotel is located right on the busy SS145 coastal road. Our room was on one of the upper floors and the traffic noise was clearly audible while sat out on the balcony. More importantly though, we were not disturbed by traffic noise when the balcony door was closed, and the outer shutter was dropped. The latter is a floor to ceiling window shutter which is electrically operated. When closed, we found it quietened the traffic noise to a point where it was not disturbing at all – and I'm a light sleeper. A short walk (probably 500m) has you in the centre of Sorrento.

Condition:
Immaculate. There was no obvious wear on any of the soft furnishings. And nothing needed redecoration inside or outside of the hotel. Ditto all around the roof terrace area too, which has comfortable seating (with shade), the pool area and the cafe. In short – a superbly kept and maintained property.

Sunbeds and shader umbrellas:
There were plenty of sunbeds available but amazingly, no shader umbrellas. Given the knowledge and awareness these days concerning skin cancer we found the lack of shader umbrellas an unforgivable omission – there is simply no excuse for this. For this alone I am deducting one “tripadvisor award blob”. There is an area of the roof terrace which comes into shade part way through the day due to a wall shadow, but this is a very limited area and is not good enough. It is unacceptable. And I would not accept a defence plea of "it can get breezy on the roof" because there are few places breezier than Fuerteventura and yet the hotels there are littered with sunbed shaders. This really should be addressed - the hotel has a duty of care to its guests to do so. It is a silly weakness in an otherwise excellent hotel.

Staff:
Very efficient and warm and friendly service indeed. Nothing was any trouble for the staff. And the charm of the waiters during dinner service was superb – a perfect balance of humour and helpful advice (e.g. concerning wine choices, especially their superb local wines).

Management:
As per the service staff, we found the hotel management to be professional, helpful and charming too. Why can't all hotels be like this? Maybe this partly (with the views, roof terrace, good food) explains the unusually high number of returning guests that we came across.

Room:
Our room was located on the third floor (ground, 1, 2, 3). The room was a touch compact, but very clean and with a nice bathroom – no black/mouldy shower/bath sealant or tile grouting. The bed was perfectly comfortable too. (Ref earlier comments about traffic noise, we both thought that the lower rooms would expose guests to a lot more traffic noise, and we would advise guests to specifically request (insist) upon high floors at the time of booking.)

Room tip:
There are some rooms off of the roof terrace area which had large patio balconies, large enough for loungers and tables etc. These rooms have the same majestic views and traffic noise will be totally inaudible. I think some day we'll go back to the Bristol, to enjoy the sightseeing we missed due to a freakishly hot mid September heat wave, and when we do, we'll book one of those rooms.

Lobby/Lounge:
Quite a compact lobby, but very nicely laid out and decorated and perfectly fine for the process of checking in and checking out. In some hotels, the lobby doubles as a lounge but not in this case – there is a separate indoor lounge on an upper floor (two lounges if you count the bar lounge) and also there is a lovely, shaded roof terrace seating area.

Bar/Lounge:
The hotel bar and lounge was located one floor below the roof terrace. There was a nicely furnished and arranged indoor area and also a long outside balcony which ran the full length of the lounge. Every night we enjoyed listening to very good entertainment while sat out in beautiful warmth on the outside balcony. A waiter drinks service operated inside the lounge and also out on the balcony too. Sitting out after dinner in short sleeves, perched up high on the bar/lounge balcony, enjoying panoramic views over a darkened, twinkling Sorrento with an after-dinner drink to hand was one of the highlights of our holiday – superb.

Cafe:
The hotel cafe was located on the roof terrace and was a great place to enjoy a drink any time of day, beit tea/coffee or something more alcoholic. It was well shaded too. We loved having mid morning and mid-afternoon coffee there, taking in the lovely view of the bay of Sorrento.

Dining:
Breakfast was a mix of self service, for continental breakfast fare, and waiter service, which operated for the various cooked breakfast options which involved eggs. There was a good selection of juices, fruit, cereals, cold cuts, plus the usual assortment of cooked options too. Breakfast was served in the main restaurant – the one used for evening dinner. Without exception, we always enjoyed breakfast.
All through our holiday, we took lunch from the hotel bistro located at the opposite end of the roof terrace to the cafe. The bistro itself was a nicely shaded al fresco layout – perfect. As per breakfast and dinner, we never tired for one second of the majestic views over Sorrento and across out to Naples and Vesuvius – it helped to make our lunchtimes superbly enjoyable. We were staying half board but opted to eat lunch every single day up on the hotel roof for the combination of good food, good service and that majestic view. Also, being on the top floor of the hotel – the rooftop terrace, the bistro enjoyed a nice cooling breeze each day, which was most welcome. Lunch times, without exception, were a highlight of the holiday.
Half board guests, such as ourselves, dined in the same restaurant used for breakfast. For dinner, the dining room looked resplendent, as did the maître d' and the waiters. On arriving to take dinner, guests waited momentarily by the entrance door to be seated by the maître d'. It must be said that the maître d' service was exquisite – it made us feel special. As you might expect, early diners were automatically shown to the tables with the best views. These tables were all next to the floor-to-ceiling windows which ran the full length of the dining room. From these tables (especially) guests enjoy fabulous sunset views over Sorrento bay. Our initial impression of the dinner menu (on our very first night only) was that it seemed a bit limited, but we shouldn't have worried because it changed nightly and we found the evening dinner food to be very good indeed, more so when washed down with some of the superb Italian wines on offer. In fact, it was of the best dining experiences I can remember.

Activities and Entertainment:
Lovely high quality singing or instrumental entertainment every night – even more enjoyable to listen to it when sat out in short sleeves on the bar/lounge balcony, enjoying an elevated and panoramic view of Sorrento at dusk/dark. We loved this part of the day.

Trips:
Alas (nobody's fault), we stayed in the middle of an unusually hot September heat wave and we felt it was just too uncomfortable for the usual sightseeing day trips. That said, we very much enjoyed strolling around the many interesting nooks and crannies that Sorrento has to offer. On the plus side, not doing the trips to Capri/Pompeii/Herculaneum gives us the perfect excuse to go back at some time in the future. ;-) One of our favourites hang-outs after exploring old parts of Sorrento was a cafe located right on the Sorrento waterfront cliff, with shaded open-air seating, which looked directly out at Naples and Vesuvius. Sublime view.

Overall:
A superb holiday in every respect and good value for money too. Our advice would be just to appreciate that the centre of Sorrento itself is busy, as is the coastal road. As long as you are aware of that and you're ok with it (and book a high room) – then we would say “highly recommended”.

Room Tip: There are some rooms off of the roof terrace area which had large patio balconies, large enough for...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bristol? Share your experiences!