“One of the Best Ever!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #24 of 96 Hotels in Sorrento
Santa Monica, CA
“One of the Best Ever!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2009

Stayed at the Grand Royal during the off-season, so I have to admit it’s quite possible we were among very few guests at the time – I don’t recall even seeing anyone else staying at the hotel! But having the place to ourselves only added to the charm of a hotel that I imagine is alive and brilliant in the summertime with the beautiful pool (too cold to use when we were there) and Jacuzzi. As it was, for us, we got an immaculate room with inlaid wood furnishings and a bathroom with a spacious Roman tub, and a peaceful private balcony. After spending nearly 24 hours in flights and trains, etc, to get there, this was the perfect place to finally rest our weary selves. The included great breakfast was brought directly to our rooms at no extra charge (I think in the high season there is a breakfast room). They also had absolutely delicious room service meals which that first exhausted night we took advantage of and actually considered it one of our best meals in Italy. Try the Carbonara. Location was ideal for exploring Sorrento and was just steps away from the Circumvesuviana train station (a somewhat icky, but very functional train ride through graffiti covered suburbs from Naples that really doesn’t start to look pretty until a stop or two before Sorrento, the end of the line). The customer service was good and everyone made us feel welcome. The only problem we experienced here was the fact that the first night we left our breakfast order on the door as instructed only to realize in the morning that no one had picked it up. But when we called and let them know the situation was quickly rectified and they brought our breakfast very shortly thereafter. Overall, this is one of the best hotels of its type that I’ve stayed at. Highly recommended.

• Liked — beautiful rooms, location, food, lovely bath
  • Disliked — forgot to pick up breakfast request... but they promptly corrected this!
  • Stayed December 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Turkish first
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

We've recently returned from a 3 week trip to Europe ending with 5 days in Sorrento. And what a wonderful way to end the trip - 5 days of glorious sunshine after two weeks of rain and cold in France.
Maybe this influenced our opinions of The Grand Royal as we just loved the whole experience.
We'd splurged out on a room (5th floor) with sea views and were so glad we did. To wake up in the morning to those views, and the boats was a lovely way to start the day. The room was fantastic as well.
The hotel was full of middle aged English people which I suppose is to be expected given the price of the rooms and the fact that Thompson’s push this area. So it wasn't really jumping. However some nights there was entertainment in one of the lounge rooms and there is so much space in the gardens that you can do your thing without seeing anyone else.
We loved Sorrento and found everything to be so handy to the hotel. Our only mistake was to allow a very expensive taxi driver to convince us that we shouldn’t walk to the hotel from the railway station when we arrived, and charge us a disgusting price for a long journey which turned out to be less than 5 mins walk.
Breakfast is included in the room rate and that was the only meal we had at the hotel. We visited Pompeii ( hot and dusty and uncomfortable after an hour) Amalfi and Positano - the latter on the tourist bus from the Station. Great value 24 hour tickets (Euro 8) for unlimited travel on the coast on these buses. We also found that the best way to get to Sorrento was the bus directly from the Naples airport.
Didn’t use any of the ferries to Capri or Naples etc as we found them very expensive, as our dollar devalued whilst we were in Italy but we didn’t feel that we had short changed ourselves. All in all it was a great stay.

• Liked — The beautiful rooms and the views from the balcony
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2008

We spent 3 nights at the Grand Hotel Royal (booking through Venere), and our experience was incredible. Location is wonderful, our full sea view room was heavenly, and the overall facilities were extremely top rate. There was a mix of young and old when we were there, but this is not a jet set type of place . . . more as the name implies: a grand royal hotel with a lot of class.

We took the train in from Rome/Naples, stopped at Pompeii, and then came on down to Sorrento. Although I had studied the map extensively, we had a little trouble figuring out exactly where to go to walk to the hotel. It is literally straight down the hill and across the little park which has shops on each side of a grassy area. It might be a 10 minute walk. There are cobblestones, and you do have to go down several steps with your luggage, but we found that Europe as a whole is generally not as handicap friendly as the US, probably due to the age of everything! All in all, though, it was an easy walk and definitely not worth getting a cab unless you are loaded down with luggage and it is pouring rain.

We were checked in quickly and went to our room on the 5th floor which was exquisite (see photos). I would highly advise splurging a bit if this is your first visit and get one of the full seaview rooms up high over the palms . . . it literally took our breath away. Our spacious room which was spotless had lovely inlaid furniture, marble everywhere, and the bath was gorgeous with more of those wonderful Italian linens. The little balcony was delightful, and I had chosen this hotel knowing that I have a little problem with heights. We saw that our balcony would be hanging over the lovely grounds and beautiful pool rather than a cliff which I think would have freaked me out. There was a wedding party down below when we arrived which made for a festive atmosphere. The sea melted into the horizon which is stunning, and Vesuvius mysteriously appeared from the fog the last day . . . hauntingly remindful of its power. Some had complained about the noise from the boats . . . we found it infrequent and very less congested than we imagined (no loud motor boats or jet skis like at home!) Most of the boats are moored elsewhere, so there was only an occasional honk from one of the cruise ships.

We only ate breakfast at the hotel as we wanted to try the restaurants, and thought the buffet was elegant, plentiful, and the coffee was especially good. Some earlier reviewers complain about limp bacon in Italy, but the Royal's tasted divine! The dining room is beautiful as well as the other public areas. We did not use the pool, but were amused at the folks out sunbathing early. I understand the pool is not heated which is too bad for those coming south and wanting to swim. Our Florence friends who were in Capri said the ocean was warm and perfect for a swim.

Nice flat screen TV, and internet was provided for a charge, but I had brought a laptop which I wanted to use on my own. The only complaint we had was concerning the internet. We had to use the laptop in the lobby and Italy seems to be very strict about public use of wireless. As I had a Macintosh laptop, there was no little window that popped up telling me how much time I had used or that I could shut down my time block I had purchased. The young man at the front desk tried to be helpful, insisting that a window would pop up. When it did not, I wasted 20 minutes of my purchased time trying to figure out how to "shut down" the connection - could only turn off my wireless card. Finally I politely suggested that they might credit me some extra time since their system did not jive with my mac, and the night manager came out and basically said "Too bad - not our fault." While I understood, I thought his manner was cold and ungracious. My husband also told the front desk when we checked out that he had had a beer from the mini fridge the night before which they did not charge him for. As we walked out the door an hour later to meet our bus to the airport, the same front desk man practically knocked us down to inform us that we owed for a beer! My husband was furious, telling him that he had told him that one hour earlier . . . maybe a language problem?

All in all, still have to give this hotel an excellent rating for its facilities, decor, location, dining, and overall atmosphere.

• Liked — Room with beautiful view
  • Disliked — Front desk staff and internet service
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Glasgow, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2008

Booked our holiday through Citalia. We had arranged to be married at the Cloisters and had booked the Royal HB for a week. My parents and other family friends also stayed at the Royal. As a younger couple we were out numbered, but not in a bad way I think we woke the place up a bit with all our friends and family. We went to a hotel called Relais Blu for the wedding reception which was out of this world, and arrived back at the Royal around 8ish for the entertainment in one of the rooms of the reception which worked out perfect to end our day. Our room was gorgeous 504 partial sea view which I think I prefer over a complete sea view as you could see up through the park and along the road and also the sea.

Food is amazing.........................

Sorrento is like stepping back in time as is the Royal but in all the right ways... Loved it can wait to return.

Staff are also exceptional..........

• Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2008

I agree with most of the praise offered by most other reviewers here, so just a few remarks:

- If you come by train you just cross the park opposite the train station. No need to hire an expensive taxi to drive you around town if you are able to walk.
- Pool was not heated on our October stay, a hotel of this class should offer that, I think
- Beware of some of the rooms of the 1st floor as they are tucked away in some sort of prolongation of the building - implying long, windling corridors with several staircases. We got room 116 upon arrival, which was dark and far away, and the sea view from the balcony was disturbed by some sort of steam outlet from the kitchen boiling room. Instead of moving us to another room, the front desk instead provided lenghty descriptions on the quality of the steam...

• Stayed October 2008
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

A true luxury Italian hotel, in grand classic style and impeccable service - not a single thing to winge about. Sea view is a must. A haven from the most raucous of our US cousins!
Not cheap - especially the extras (safe, web, videos, radio, wine, etc.) but still good value. We booked 8 days hb and planned to eat out. However the restaurant was so good we found town options disappointing. Perfectly located for town, railway & buses.
Hint - Italy is very expensive so use public transport for everything - bus from/to Naples airport stops 4 minutes away, and all tourist sites are accessible without tours. Don’t even think of a car!

• Liked — style
  • Disliked — could only afford a side sea view - false economy
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
Barton - on - Sea
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2008

My daughter (in her mid 30's) and I spent a very relaxing week in early October at the Grand Hotel Royal which sits high on the cliffs above the marina. Although the journey from the airport by taxi takes over an hour there are plenty of fabulous views to take in. Getting around the town is easy if you like walking but there are plenty of steps, especially if you want to get down to the marina! There is a local bus which is a cheap option! We felt very safe and were welcomed everywhere we went. We found the shops and the shopkeepers very good, especially the takeaway pizza and cake shop called Cafe Rita!! If you walk through the park opposite the hotel then through the piazza, turn right and it's on the left near the supermarket. Much cheaper to buy food there than to eat lunch at the hotel!! The food at the hotel was generally very good and there was an interesting selection every evening. The soup was the only thing we wouldn't recommend as it was rather gloopy!! Our room, 110, was quite large and had both a full size bath and a large walk in shower, however it was on the road side so there was noise a couple of mornings from the bin men!! As the hotel faces North we were lucky to have sun on our balcony for most of the day, unlike the sea views!
There is a red tourist bus from the piazza opposite the hotel which charges 15 euros return to Positano and takes about 30 minutes. If you leave about 10.00 you can return at 3.30 which gives you plenty of time to walk down to the village. It is a steep walk and takes a good half hour but allow double for the return hike!! There is a local bus or taxis if you need them. There are a couple of interesting galleries if you're into art but the shops and restaurants are very expensive! It is a beautiful place though!
The other trip we did was to Pompeii. We opted for a guided half day tour and our guide had a radio mike so that you could hear her commentary even if you couldn't keep up with her. It was hot when we were there so we needed a good supply of water to keep hydrated during the three hour walk. What an amazing place though and well worth the effort. Best to wear sturdy shoes! By the way if you're a pensioner take some form of identification, passpost photocopy will do, as you can get a reduction. We didn't bother with the walk up Vesuvius as we had a great view of it from the hotel terrace and couldn't see the point of wasting precious time when we'd rather be by the pool!! The pool only has metal steps to get you in and it was very cold!! The sea was a few degrees warmer but you have to go down by lift and walk along a damp passage then up some more steps along a terrace and then down a final set of steps to the boardwalk before climbing down some slippery metal steps into the sea!! Good for working of the excesses of the previous evening's dinner!!
Sorrento can be as relaxing or as energetic as you want it to be!

Been to Grand Hotel Royal? Share your experiences!