“Stunning Location” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #19 of 96 Hotels in Sorrento
N Ireland
“Stunning Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013 via mobile

Superb views. Excellent staff, food, pool and spa. Room and balcony disappointing but compensated for by wonderful views.
Very relaxing oasis to get away from it all whilst being able to watch the world go by. Sitting above the town of Sorrento, you almost feel you could touch it! Dinner on the veranda is an amazing experience, watching the town light up in the evening and the moon appear over the mountain tops whilst the charming, attentive staff serve up food 'fit for a king!'

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (253)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

My Husband and I were invited to a friends wedding in Sorrento so we decided to make it a fortnights holiday since we have never been to Italy before. We were not disappointed as this was without a doubt the best holiday we have had so far. Staying at the Grand President Hotel from 20th September to 4th October was a wonderful part of our experience and there was no way you could have found any kind of fault here at all unless you are really grumpy and very hard to please!
We arrived at around 10.30 at night and after booking in at reception, quickly and easily, we found a tray of food waiting for us in our room which was a good start as we were really hungry!
The hotel is immaculately clean, well presented and beautifully decorated. It is situated high above Sorrento on the hill and has stunning views from all the public areas.
The location is the only slight downside as it is a good 20-30 minute walk downhill to the town and that's the shortcut as the traffic has to take a longer route (but gets there quicker) we did walk there and back but only a couple of times! - The hotel provides a regular shuttle bus service which starts from the hotel at 8.30am down to the town and the last run up to the hotel at night is 11.15pm. It has one fairly central and easy to find pick up and drop off point so no need to worry about where to catch the bus.
The shuttle bus driver is a lovely man called Tony who cannot do enough to help you with your holiday sightseeing. He always has brochures and leaflets for various local events and attractions on hand and is full of helpful information. The bus was a 22 seater when we were there which, on the odd occasion was slightly too small for the amount of people using it but if you were left behind then Tony would drop everyone off and come straight back for you rather than waiting until his next scheduled run - so nobody can fault that service!
All of the restaurant staff are genuinely lovely people who are totally focused on making your dining experience terrific. You will be seated personally at each mealtime, mostly by Luigi the restaurant manager - you can then help yourself to breakfast but evening dinner will be served to you by one of the waiters.
Breakfast was buffet style with all the usual continental things, meats and cheeses, fruits, breads, cakes, cereals, full English options and an egg station where you can choose your own omelette contents and have it freshly cooked while you wait. There is a tea and coffee machine for instant self-service but if you want to order a pot of either then you can.
The evening meals were available from a 3 course menu presented to you every night and there is also a copy on view outside the restaurant if you want to look during the day to see what is on the menu that night. There is a salad buffet that you can help yourself to at dinnertime in addition to whatever you choose from the menu. Drinks may be ordered from the wine waiter and will be charged to your room.
The food is amazing, the Cannelloni and Lasagne especially are to die for! I am not a huge pasta fan but was truly won over! Lovely soups, beautiful fish dishes, lovely chicken dishes, and the desserts are just, well, again - amazing! The Lemoncello cake - another one to die for! Enjoy a fabulous gourmet experience no matter what you choose!
3 or 4 nice waiters also man the bar, pool and terrace areas, polite, funny, chatty and service with a smile from all of them.
Previous reviews have recommended you have a room with a sea view. We weren't able to get one but although its nice to wake up to a sea view it didn't really matter to us as we didn't spend much time in our room anyway. At the end of our corridor there was a table that guests left magazines and books they had finished with so that others could swap and read.
This year I was brave and ventured out without my travel hairdryer - I'm usually too scared to go without it in case the hotel doesn't provide them but there is a perfectly decent hairdryer in the bathroom so save yourself from trailing yours as its fine!
Electricity - slightly awkward to use - my adapter would not fit in any of the sockets in the walls (or strangely anywhere else in the hotel or out in other places) but there was a sort of small adapter socket thingy on the table that took it so I was able to charge my iphone. but if you wanted to charge a second phone or plug something else in at the same time then your only other socket is the shaver point in the bathroom. - Note - If you leave a phone on charge in the shaver point while you are out of the room it wont charge but the other one will in the adapter socket thingy!
There is a spa and beauty salon but I didn't use them as such. I wanted my hair done for the wedding so the girl in the beauty salon booked their contracted hairdresser to come in and do it for me. She only does certain days and times but she was very nice and my hair turned out lovely.
Also handy to know - the hotel provides pool towels for you, there was 2 in our room so I could have saved trailing my 4 with me if I'd known. It says to please not ask to change them every day but to be honest I think they would if you really needed them changed that much. The rooms were cleaned every day and you could have fresh towels every day if you wanted and the beds were changed every 2 or 3 days. Very competent maids, the place is spotless.
Sorrento town is lovely, vibrant and full of character, the Amalfi coast is well worth a visit as is Capri. Pompeii is very interesting to see but I'd advise you definitely get a guidebook or handheld audio to listen to as otherwise it all just looks like the same thing and there are loads of stories about different parts of it.
We went to Naples on the train (to the centre of the city itself) which was full of graffiti, rubbish, dog poo and dubious looking characters selling goods on the streets - it was a bit nerve-racking and I didn't feel safe - but found out afterwards that there is a nicer area to visit if you go there by boat and stick to the other side - ask Luigi, he'll tell you where to go.
We wanted to go to Vesuvius and Herculanium but simply ran out of time so plan to re-visit in a couple of years and go then but anyone we spoke to who did go said it was worthwhile.
I hope this review is helpful to anyone who reads it, I tried to put in bits that I didn't know myself before going and that I would have found handy.
I cant think of anything else I might have missed but would just like to re-iterate that this was truly a fantastic hotel to stay in and I wouldn't hesitate to come back.

Leicester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

My mother and I have just come back from staying 7 nights at the President.... We are both absolutley over the moon at the amazing time we spent there. Everything was EXCELLENT... We managed to get a sea view over the whole bay of naples which we will never forget and is so worth getting... It was like a movie set!!!! We keep looking back at the pics totally bewtiched by the scenary. The food/ breakfast was superb, the service and cleaniless impeccable, the location the very best, the management were the creme de la creme and will help you sort out all your itinery's if your planning day trips to anywhere like Pompeii and Versuvius, like we did... we can't rave on enough about this hotel. We beyond highly recommend it to anyone, whether your a couple, single or a family. The hotel free shuttle bus to and from the hotel to Sorrento town goes very frequently and is so easy and takes around 5 minutes... Everything is to hand and so convenient and easy to access.

We will never forget this mind blowing experience and will most definitely be returning... If your going to Sorrento, stay here... You won't get any better views anywhere else!!!! You will be gobsmacked : )

Room Tip: It's so worth getting a room with a sea view ..... WoW : )
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Larkhall, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I am just back from my first two week holiday in Italy and it was for friends' wedding in Sorrento.
My wife and I had the most amazing holiday and felt that time quite literally stood still.
I chose the hotel based on reviews here on trip advisor and I was not disappointed.
We had a room without sea view (booked via holiday agent who said they couldn't access a superior sea view room in their system and we could request upgrade with hotel - hotel didn't have any available although we had requested a few months before departure)
However as we are not ones to sit on our balcony then the sea view was not important from the room as all public areas had amazing views of Vesuvius - Naples and Sorrento bay as well as the town itself.
Food was first class as were all the very attentive staff - many have made particular comment about Tony the hotel 'shuttle bus' driver and Tony is a definite diamond in the staff - he is so pleasant and will go that extra mile to ensure you have information and are totally happy.

If you haven't been before you must take time out to go to Amalfi Coast and Capri - consider personal boat tour of Capri and also personal tour of Amalfi Coast.

South West, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

We recently returned from a 8 night stay at the President.

I would start by saying my review is no doubt helped by the excellent weather we experienced, which (for me) was perfect - 25-27 and sunny so warm but not so hot that you couldnt walk around much - considering we stayed 20th 28th September we considered ourselves very lucky!

Firstly, the staff-

The staff at the president were some of the happiest, most helpful staff I have come across in any hotel - they are a genuine asset to the hotel and made you feel like nothing was a problem.

Every day we asked for balcony seats for breakfast and evening meal and this was always met with a smile and there utmost efforts to obtain this for us - it was not always possible, but they tried.

The maid did a fabulous job of keeping our rooms clean and tidy with towel changes on a regular basis and all tea/coffee/topiloetries being topped up as and when required.

The Room -

We paid extra for a sea view room and I cannot impress on you enough how important it is to do this, why come to a hotel in such a fabulous position if you arent going to take advantage of the amazing view of Naples bay as much as possible?

The alternative, as shown by several reviews on here, is to take the chance on a standard room and risk having no view at all or a view of the car park - you will regret this!

We were in one of the older style rooms, but personally I fel the furniture in it suited the hotel and area far more than some of the "neon green" modern style superior rooms?

Our room was on the 3rd floor of the main building, with the dining room immediately above us - this did present a problem as breakfast started at 7am so due to the ceramic tiled floors there was a fair amount of noise from chairs moving and trolleys being moved and we were woken at most mornings around 0645 - 0700 - though this did not spoil the holiday, I think in future we would pay more to get a superior rooms with a sea view but beside the garden rather than the pool area as this is likely to almost guarantee a good lie in (though the whiole hotel has ceramic tiling, so there is still the risk of other guests arriving/leaving late and early making noise with thheir suitcases - this issue was the ONLY negative we found - hence "Near perfection".

The TV in room could have done with more English language channels, you are limited to the usual suspects of BBC world and CCN etc, whereas there did seem to many more German and French channels - but do you really go to Italy to watch TV?

The view from our room was just superb, across the bay of Naples to Vesuvius and below to Sorrento town itself - for the most part there is practically no noise from the surrounding area due to the hotels hillside location.

Position -

As above, the hotel is on a hillside up above Sorrento town, but there is a regular bus laid on by the hotel (with a very cheerful driver - Hi Tony!) and we found the timings to be ample, though the gap from 12.15 to 1515 for collections in the afternoon maens there are quite often large Q's so you may have to wait for the bus to come back (it doesnt help that some people lack the decency to respect the Q's!).

Food -

Breakfast is a buffet with a great selection of "full english" style, yoghurts, pastries, fruit, cereals, cold meats, cheeses and even freshly cooked omelettes should you require this.

The evening meal is usually 1 cold salad course plus 3 courses of pasta/soup, main meal and desert trolley - we found the quality of the food to be excellent (even for a 4 star) with the chef showing pride and imagination, and all with full table service and the addition of seperate wine waiters.

I really cannot recommend this hotel enough, and if you are heavy sleeper the only negative I had (noisy floor tiles) wont even bother you - enjoy!

Room Tip: Sea view is a must - worth paying the extra for
Denbigh, Wales, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

This hotel was quite a disappointment for its rating. We paid £500 extra for a sea view room, which to be fair we could see the sea from our balcony - but only when we stood up. If we sat down on the chairs all we could see was an old wooden fence fitted with a broken wire fencing which was overgrown with weeds - Room 430 avoid if you expect £500s worth of sea view. We did not have any children with us, but if we did we would certainly not have let them go in the children's swimming pool. All the paint was peeling off the bottom - must be a real serious health problem waiting to happen there.
The rooms need updating, especially the bathroom - when you turned the taps on it sounded as if someone was doing a clog dance, there was so much air in the system. Taps were old and had lost their sheen, shower cubicle was old - in fact the bathroom needed gutting.
However we must say the public areas were spotlessly clean, food was excellent. And as everybody else says the views from the public areas were spectacular.
Overall though a disappointed holiday maker that would never return.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Orange, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013 via mobile

Not only did we find the hotel a lovely place to stay,but the staff was very friendly and accommodating. The view from our room looked out to the city of Sorrento and the sea! If you stay there go to happy hour overlooking the sea, you will be glad you did.

Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Grand Hotel President? Share your experiences!