“The Excelsior Vittoria is THE hotel in Sorrento” 5 of 5 stars

Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Tasso, 34, 80067 Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #8 of 96 Hotels in Sorrento
Southlake, TX
“The Excelsior Vittoria is THE hotel in Sorrento”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

It is hard to capture the beauty of the Excelsior Vittorio in a few words. It sits on 5 acres of beautiful and secluded grounds. While it is right in the heart of downtown, a long gated promenade separates the town (and noise) from the actual hotel entrance. The entry gate contains a barrier and a guard so that only guests and invitees (and select vehicles) can enter. The walk down the promenade is beautiful; full of flowers and benches in case you want to sit and enjoy the beautiful garden before or after a stroll downtown. The hotel itself sits on a beautiful cliff line at the edge of the sea. The rooms on the sea are well worth the extra price. We had a premium sea view room with a very large private terrace. The view of the sea and Mt. Vesuvius in the distance was gorgeous. Our room was very charming and I loved the antique desk and chest of drawers. Besides a king size bed, we had a great sitting area with 2 chairs, couch and table. In contrast with the antique furniture pieces, we had a new flat screen TV (although I must admit was little used due to the beauty of one's surroundings). The shower took a little getting used to, but, to me, was part of the charm of the hotel. The swimming pool area is also magnificent. This area is a very short walk from the hotel entrance and besides a great pool, there is a bar and separate cooking and outside eating area. All of this is nestled in an area full of orange and lemon trees (that were full of fruit when we were there last month). Adjacent to the pool area is a full service spa. While I did not go there, my wife reported that her facial and massage were excellent. Inside the main hotel, the public areas are all first class and spotless. There is a large and ornate banquet room (where a daily breakfast buffet is served), sitting rooms, beautiful outside terrace, downstairs dining areas, etc. many of which contain beautifully kept period furniture. Besides the beautiful physical features of the hotel and the grounds upon which it sits, I found the hotel staff to be one of the best I have ever encountered. I have had the privilege of staying in many fine hotels, (e.g., George V in Paris and others), so my expectations can run a little high. The tone and expectations at this hotel are clearly set at the top by the Hotel Mgr., Nicolino Grigio. The hotel is impeccably clean and the friendliness, courtesy and sincerity of all the staff, from top to bottom, was quite impressive. Besides Mr. Grigio, the Head Concierge Galano and his staff, Marco at the Front Desk, Danielle in Reservations, a seasoned waiter Salvatore, a housekeeper, Tina are some that I remember. However, that is not meant to take away from all the great service we had from others. With regard to food, there is a large breakfast buffet in the grand banquet room that has most anything you would want. While I usually avoid dinners in hotels, my wife and I had dinner one night in the lower dining area. The bottom line is that the food was excellent. We had already been to restaurants identified as the best in Sorrento and I was still favorably impressed. In the end, the ultimate compliment is whether or not you would return. Admittedly, at my age I am working hard on my personal "bucket list" of places to see and things to do. Yet, after 7 nights in Sorrento and at the Excelsior Vittorio, my wife and I feel a warm and strong connection with the area. I may be wrong, but I am almost sure that we will return to Sorrento and the Amalfi coast. One thing is for sure....if we do, you will find us at the Excelsior Vittorio and seeing the many friends we left behind there.

Room Tip: Stay on sea view side....worth the $.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Guido2011, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, responded to this review, June 14, 2012
Dear Sir,

thank you very much for having taken the time to share your recent experience at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria - Sorrento with Tripadvisor. It is with great pride that we read your feedback about the hotel and the entire team.

We are happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and truly appreciated our service.
We are flattered and honored by your kind and positive feedback regarding our staff and especially about our team and with pleasure I will extend to them.

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back soon!

Guido Fiorentino

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (137)
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Absolutely loved this hotel, it was a real highlight of our honeymoon

From the moment we arrived in the room - to find complimentary champagne on ice, boquet of flowers, fruit, chocolates, and a hand-written note from the manager thanking us for choosing his hotel for our special occasion - to the moment we left, nothing was too much for the staff

Management knew our names on sight. When we enquired where we could find a doctor, we were provided with one in our room within 20 minutes, free of charge. Oranges were free to pick from the tree in the orange grove. All drinks came with complimentary nibbles. You could even phone reception whilst sat on the bog :) - It's the little things

Restaurant was expensive, but they had to cover the staff costs - it was literally one-to-one service - and the food was fantastic. Two of my favourite-ever dishes were eaten in that restaurant, whilst sitting atop a cliff overlooking the Bay of Naples. 6 course menu (plus a complimentary taster dish with every meal) was 90 euros a head. Want to eat cheaper and get something you could cook at home? go right ahead, but you're missing something special. ** Get in first to get the window seats, they're worth it **

Breakfast fantastic. Eat as much as you want from a lovely display of dishes, all top quality and in another beautiful setting, with fresco ceilings, and a baby grand piano being played in the corner to give ambience

Overall a lovely setting, central yet peaceful, with everything you want if you can afford it

As for the area though - we wouldn't want to visit in August; too many people, too many crazy drivers and traffic problems, and that's just in April. If you want to do the Amalfi coast, I would suggest getting a moped. At least you won't be worrying about the width of the car all the time... not the relaxing days out we wanted...

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Guido2011, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, responded to this review, June 8, 2012
Dear Sir/Madam,

thank you for taking the time to complete the above very nice review.
It is with great pride that we read your feedback about the hotel and the entire team and we are very happy to be part of your memorable memory of your honeymoon.
We believe in our product and our location and most of all we believe in the strength of our team. Your comments have clearly given us the certainty of the success we can achieve.

Once again I would like to thank you for sharing your comments with us. It would be a pleasure to welcome you back again at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria very soon!
Yours sincerely,
President & CEO
Grande Albergo Excelsior Vittoria SpA
Wakefield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

Excellent hotel with fantastic views and first class amenties. Private lift to the harbour removed the strain of having to walk up to Piazza Tasso ! We were half board and the restaurant and food was outstanding. All the staff were friendly and couldn't do enough for us. The Pool and its restaurant were superb. Our room was great and of a high standard. I would certainly recommend this to those looking for a hotel with high class Italian style.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Madame,

thank you very much for having shared your comments after your stay with us.
I am very happy to read that you appreciated your stay with us and that you have enjoyed our restaurants too.
We really hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria soon!

Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

This was the third time we've been here and were not disappointed. This hotel really is first rate - one of the very best we've stayed in. Service is excellent. Rooms are beautiful and well appointed. Location is excellent. The restaurant is lovely with a good menu, with daily options and a good wine list. My only suggestion is for more varied vegetarian options. Once I'd asked if it was possible to have something different - the chef was marvellous and I had some lovely veggie meals. Im running out of positve descriptors, really good concierge, well trained and attentive wait staff, lovely gardens full of citrus fruits. Great piano bar in the evenings. Oh one small gripe, the lady pianist at breakfast wasn't so good, long delays between songs whilst she took her anadin, fetched a coffee, wrote down every song she played on a timesheet - hmmm. Other than that fabulous (but be warned - it's not cheap). cant say any more really.

Room Tip: Ask for sea view with a balcony - wow.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Guido2011, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear Madame,

thank you very much for your beautiful review.
We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and consider our staff a professional and quality one!
This is the best compliment that we can receive and I will be pleased to share it with our team.
Thank you for your suggestion for the vegetarian option I will forward it to our chef and we are already looking forward to welcoming you back soon!
Omaha, Nebraska
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

The hotel is in a fantastic location in Sorrento with wonderful views. The hotel is separated from the town by a large garden area and the patio areas are on a cliff over the port and the water. The pool area and casual dining area was very nice and the main restaurant, while expensive, was excellent. Internet in the historic building was spotty but they report that they are working to improve connections in the hotel.

If you have a chance....stay here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Jericho, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 13, 2012 via mobile

This Hotel was our first stop in a two week tour to Italy. We actually arrived a day early so we could get acclimated to the time change. We spent three nights here and we had a wonderful time. The hotel itself goes back over a hundred years and has an old world charm that can't be beat. It is located right on the Bay of Naples and the views, including sunsets are simply awesome. The rooms are quite nice and nicely appointed. if there was one negative I would say it was the WiFi. It is not available in the room and you have to go downstairs to a room off the lobby to get a signal. The grounds at the hotel are private and well maintained. Simply put, you will love the charm and service at this hotel.

Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Guido2011, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, responded to this review, May 17, 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your nice review . We are very happy that you enjoyed your stay with us and were satisfied with our services. The Wify is available in all public area, including the pool the terrace and will be extended to all the rooms within next month. Our aim here at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria has always been to make feel our guests at home!

We are already looking forward to welcoming you back soon at the EXVITT!!!

Presidente & Ceo
Grande Albergo Excelsior Vittoria SpA
Bainbridge Island WA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 26, 2012

We only had one night in Sorrento at GHEV and I wish we could have had more. The hotel is stunning and located in the very best location. If you are taking a ferry to Capri this is the place to stay because they have an elevator from the hotel to the boat. It couldn't be more convenient. Our room was stunning with incredible views. When we arrived the staff could not have been friendlier or more accommodating for our needs. The concierge was great and arranged for dinner, tickets for the hydrofoil to Capri and parking for our car while on Capri. They also called and had our arranged for our arrival with our hotel on Capri. The hotel hasa beautiful pool, an amazing and quiet citrus orchard, a playground for kids and a spa that I unfortunately did not get to try. The breakfast, which was included with our room, was a great buffet in a beautiful room overlooking the water. There is a great bar for evening cocktails witha spectacular view. When we come back to Italy we will definitely stay in Sorrento for a longer period of time at GHEV. Overall, it was wonderful!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Guido2011, Proprietario at Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria, responded to this review, May 2, 2012
Dear Guest,

thank you very much for your very nice comment
We are pleased to hear that you appreciated our hotel and in particularly our Staff, the service and the food and we are already looking forward to welcome you back soon at the Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria - Sorrento!

My warmest regards,
President
Grande Albergo Excelsior Vittoria
Sorrento

Been to Grand Hotel Excelsior Vittoria? Share your experiences!