“"A very good experience!"” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Central
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corso Italia 254, 80067 Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #65 of 97 Hotels in Sorrento
Kernersville, North Carolina
“"A very good experience!"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2014

My husband & I stayed here mid March while traveling with our tour group with Gate 1 travel. We were assigned Room 316 and it was a corner room with no balcony. The room was large, clean and comfortable. The bathroom had a small window that we kept open to get some fresh air. The windows in the bedroom faced the front of the hotel and since the heat was still on we had to keep the windows open to cool it down. With the windows open during the day and at night, there was a lot of street noise, traffic and sirens at times. The elevators up to the third floor are small and can only accommodate 2 people and several pieces of luggage. There is a roof top deck where you can take the steps up to that allows you wonderful views of the mountains of Sorrento and great views of the Bay of Naples.
The breakfast buffet was included with our tour and there were numerous selections of pastries, croissants, meats, cheeses, cereal, yogurts, fruits, juices, and coffee.
No "soft-cooked" eggs or bacon here to worry about!
It is about a 15-20 minute walk down to the main square (Piazza Tasso) along uneven and narrow walkways. At times you will have to cross the street and traffic is quite hectic when doing so. Be sure and take your camera for all photo opportunities...and there are many, plus wear comfortable shoes.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the front of the hotel and the busy streets would be quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2014

Mixed feelings about this hotel. Pros- great pool, large rooms, rooms with balconies, roof top deck with spectacular views of the Bay of Naples, Cons- long walk to the center of town and the hotel is located on a major road that serves as the areas highway. Crossing this road is dangerous.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2013

I stayed only 1 night but had a good experience. The other reviewer was correct as my room was in 5th floor and I had to climb the last steps from 4th floor. I don't mind, though. I slept with curtain opened because my window and balcony opened to the full mountain view, just too good to skip. Room was quite spacious in Italian standard. My room was just next to the terrace bar and it offered the open view to both the mountain side and the sea side. I had both dinner and breakfast in the onsite restaurant. Food is very good. There was this funny server, though, he just stopped everybody touching the espresso machine and he was very determined in being the one operating it.

Room Tip: Higher floors for glorious view.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
Lake Ridge, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2013

I stayed in a twin room for three nights at the end of a two-week tour of Italy. We were with a tour by Gate 1 Travel and there was another tour group there. We found this hotel comparatively nice. The room was the biggest we had in Italy; everything was clean and well-maintained. You do have to be careful not to flood the bathroom when you shower, but we ran into that elsewhere in Italy. The twin beds are pushed together, but that is the way it is in Italy. The walk to Piazza Tasso, the center, is at least 15 minutes along a busy road with narrow sidewalks, so keep that in mind. All in all, a nice place to stay in Sorrento.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013

My husband and I enjoyed our 3 night stay at Hotel Central and found it a good base for all we wanted to do. It is within about 10-15 mins walking distance from the train station and, although we didn't need to use it, there is a bus shuttle service between hotel and station. The bedroom was very clean and comfortable and we were not aware of any noise at night time. A kettle and some tea and coffee were the only things we missed! Regarding the view from our bedroom, although we were overlooking another building, we could see across the bay towards Naples which was nice. The rooftop terrace on the top floor was really lovely. I am coeliac and had informed the hotel ahead of our stay. I appreciated the special gluten free cereal and sweet bun I was served with promptly every morning. There were other foods I could eat from the general buffet too, which my husband also enjoyed. The only thing I missed was some GF bread. We did not have time to try out the fitness centre or pool as we had full days exploring Pompeii and the Isle of Capri. Sorrento is an excellent base for visiting both these places. If visiting Capri and you don't like either negotiating hundreds of steps or walking down a steep hill, take a bus or taxi to the port. The town of Sorrento is at quite a height above the port. For us, the steps just added to the adventure! Forgot to mention that, when making our online booking, we availed of a 'make an offer' Hotel Central deal and were delighted that our offer was accepted:)

Room Tip: The front of the hotel faces the street and buildings opposite. The back faces towards the bay. Lift...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Bryant Pond
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

We stayed for three nights at the end of a twelve day tour of Italy. The staff accommodated our request for a room change (2nd floor corner room had a balcony but no view) on the second day to move to room 404. Nice! Breakfast buffet was just average, but we took our coffee to the rooftop terrace each morning which is rated a ten out of ten! Convenient free shuttle to the center of sorrento four times each day kept the schedule flexible. We walked only twice. Hanging out on the pool deck, overlooking the bay of Naples and mt. Vesuvius was just outstanding. We found the hotel decor soothing. And although we did not use it, the 24 hour bar service made us smile. Like another reviewer, We also moved the furniture to suit our needs, liking it was not nailed down. Of course, we put it back in place before departing.

Room Tip: Fourth and fifth floors facing water. Some have balconys. Everyone can use rooftop terrace
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Bournemouth, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2013

I found the hotel disappointing in many respects. As soon as I checked in I was handed a slip of paper telling me when I was leaving . I had booked a twin room - their concept of which was 2 single beds pushed together, so we had to move some furniture around. Although we were the only people checking in (2 of us) we had to wait for the room and no refreshments were offered. No porter to help with luggage, even though my companion is elderly and has mobility problems. The room was small and the balcony overlooked a busy main road. the hotel is not central - the main square is a 10 - 15 minute walk away along a busy road with narrow pavements. There is a 3 euro charge to borrow a towel at the pool and I could not believe there was a charge for Wi-Fi! The breakfast was good and the hotel was clean I thought the menu for evening meal was rather strange and was thankful that I hadn't booked half board.

Room Tip: Rooms on 4th and 5th floors very small - don't know about other floors. Get a room at the back o...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends