“Nice Place” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Boston
“Nice Place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2007

Stayed in Sorrento at IL Nido for two nights in June and booked solely on the reviews from TripAdvisor. Overall, my stay was great and I would highly recommend this hotel for the many "pluses" it offers including those looking for terrific value. As expected, the view from Il Nido was a breathtaking panorama of the Bay of Naples with Vesuvius looming in the distance. That alone was worth the price. The breakfast was the finest I had in my 2 weeks in Italy. Also, free internet service is a huge bonus anywhere in Italy and they provided 2 computers to use. We were able to catch the local bus to Positano from right in front of the hotel and the use of their
shuttle into Sorrento is much needed. I found the actual room to be very basic, although clean and comfortable. I also found the hotel to be somewhat noisy, as our room was located underneath the restaurant and the sound traveled through to our room with little resistance. It wasn't a bother to me whatsoever, perhaps it was my room location, but we spent so much time away from the hotel discovering the region that we weren't there enough for it to matter.
The noise is evidence that business must be good, which is great news
for the wonderful family which run it and who seem to work tirelessly
in an often thankless business. Again, this hotel provides a great value for everything that you get in return.

• Liked — The view, breakfast
  • Disliked — Room decor
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (227)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Finnish first
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2007

I cannot say enough good things about Il Nido. We stayed there for 4 nights at the beginning of June. The staff is so hardworking and helpful.

Our room was large, clean and comfortable. We had a stunning view of Mt. Vesuvius. You can also enjoy this beautiful view from the dining room. Speaking of the dining room, the food is delicious and so reasonably priced. We didn't bother eating anywhere else because we knew that Il Nido's restaurant could not be outdone. They also have some lovely local wines on their menu.

The hourly shuttle works perfectly and is very convenient. If you're concerned about being away from the center of Sorrento, don't be. You will love Il Nido and will be very happy to be perched up in the hills away from the noise.

We did some lovely day trips to Amalfi and Positano. Staying in Sorrento makes a perfect and affordable base to visit the Amalfi Coast towns, Capri, Pompeii and Mt. Vesuvius. Sorrento itself is also a lovely town.

I highly recommend Il Nido. We definitely plan on staying there again!

• Stayed June 2007
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
bna
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2007

.... with breathtaking views overlooking the Bay of Naples and Mt. Vesuvius.

A small family run hotel, big on warmth and value for your Euro. At the end of the day we felt like we were returning home to the quiet of Il Nido from the noise and buzz of Sorrento.

Nice size clean rooms, some with balconies to enjoy the view over a glass of wine. Great breakfast buffet with good selections whatever your preferences, including scrambled eggs. The dining at Il Nido is first rate. Every meal we had was a winner. We entertained family one evening and they agreed that the meal was the best they experienced in Italy. Lovely seafood pasta, primo beef and veal and gnocchi to die for. A nice selection of contorni.

The shuttle was very dependable and easy to use. One afternoon we caught a local bus that dropped us off almost at the door. Dino was very helpful getting us transportation back to Rome.

And, an added bonus, was the very good internet service in the lobby.

We will return.....

• Liked — Quiet location, size of room, view and food.
  • Disliked — Nothing to dislike.
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled as a couple
Nagano
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

I stayed with my old parents. We all liked this hotel.

As I knew that Naples was not a suitable place to stay for old Japanese people, I chose Sorrento and found this hotel by internet. It was a BINGO.

Located wonderfully, we could enjoy sea view from our rooms and from the restaurant.

You don't have to go to the town for dinner. You can have the best here. My parents love seafoods and both are still talking..."They served really nice meals!!"

As I had to do some business there, I was helped so much by their internet service. I wasn't good at connecting, they helped me a lot.

Next time, I want to visit with my husband. I want to stay more than a week.

Stayed March 2007
Anstruther Fife Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2007

My brother & myself stayed at the Il Nido whilst in Sorrento to attend a family wedding,most of the other guests stayed in Sorrento itself, we were not disappointed the stunning views from the rooms and terrace restuarant were simply spectacular,overlooking the Bay of Naples & Mount Vesuvius.We felt that we had a wonderful view looking down on all the lemon groves,you could see the road winding down t the town.
Dino& Giovanni run this family owned hotel to perfection,it was spotlessly clean through out the hotel,the breakfast was quite substantial you helped yourself buffet style,with lots to choose from,coffee /tea etc was from a machine.
We ate in the restuarant a couple of nights,as we met up with the other wedding guests a few nights,the food was first class and definately good value with lots of choice,I can recommend the
Scialatielli alla Posillipo which was Pasta/Clams/& Mussels,wonderful.The champagne apertif & bruscetta served free gratis was a lovely touch.Wine & Beer was very reasonable in the hotel.
The hotel shuttle bus picked guests up from the station on there first night if required.Each morning the bus did 4 trips to town dropping of in the Piazzo Tasso & Railway station,return journeys in the afternoon started at 3.30 then each hour till 11.30.Faella the shuttle bus driver was very nice and friendly,punctual to the minute,she kept the bus imaculately clean.All in all this was a wonderful trip ,enhanced by the friendleness,& helpfulness of the staff.Dino was asked many questions and always able to answer.
Free Internet access was a bonus that we had not expected.
Well done to all the family & staff who work so hard to the good of the guests. Excellent Value for money. First Class.

• Liked — Cleanliness,Friendly Staff,lovely room with views
  • Disliked — Bed was a bit hard on the first night
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled on business
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2007

This hotel rates a perfect score on all counts. I am hard pressed to find a flaw. It's an outstanding place to call home for however long you can stay. The staff is hard-working, competent, and helpful. The in-house restuarant is perfection. In fact, it serves the best Limoncello in the region (we tried many different ones in our 3 week Italy visit)---from locally grown lemons, but don't look to buy a bottle --- sadly none is available. Our room was exceptionally clean---and the view----well, you just need to go visit because my words will not do the view of the Bay of Naples justice. We loved being above the city...it was cool and much more relaxing. I would not change one thing unless it was the length of our stay. Hats off to Il Nido! A++++++++++

Stayed May 2007
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2007

My niece and I stayed at Il Nido from 10-13 May. The best feature of the hotel is the stunning setting high above the lovely Bay of Naples. Most of the staff are exceptionally cordial and welcoming--reception here is far more cordial than in most Italian hotels.

The food in the terrace restaurant (spectacular view!) is excellent and a terrific value for money. Breakfast is much more substantial than at most Italian hotels--there were eggs/meat, though I enjoyed the cheese and delicious Sorrento oranges with toast. Breakfast coffee is from a machine; it's OK though not great. Dinner was made extra elegant by a champagne apertif and bruscetta (served gratis) and the smiling and friendly service.

Free internet access is provided from 8AM to around 10PM, a real convenience we hadn't expected.

The room was small but immaculate. The beds were as hard as a rock, though. I felt as if the model for these beds were the stone couches of the Etruscans. I slept well, though. A lazy rooster (who himself had slept in, crowing at around 8:30) woke us up one morning. The air is delightful high above the town, and this was so much quieter than a hotel in the town itself.
I would stay again in a heartbeat, and hope to return.

We experienced some bad moments with the shuttle. I report these not to downgrade an excellent experience overall but just to save some future travellers from the difficulty we had.

The shuttle picks up arriving guests at the train station (or at several other locations) their first night, and it leaves people either at the station or Piazza Tasso in the AM.

I hadn't really clocked in that the _only_ place for continuing (not new) guests where the shuttle picks up in the afternoon, called "the Meeting Point," is on the edge of the town.

We had been touring Herculaneum and Pompeii, and arrived quite tired in Sorrento late afternoon. My niece, who speaks Italian, called the hotel for directions to the Meeting Point, as we had left the map in the room. She received very curt directions ("Avanti!" Well, yes, but in which direction?)

Few streets in Sorrento are marked with names. After drifting around for an hour, we gave up and took a cab, and the fare was 27 Euros. Ouch!

So. . .bring your map of the town (which shows where the Meeting Point is) _whenever_ you go down into the town. Know where the Meeting Point is, and don't rely on the hotel to give directions.

I felt that the shuttle driver was snippy with us the final day. My niece is a rather shy teenager, who asked the driver if she would be stopping at Piazza Tasso after the station (we'd overheard that the piazza would be closed to traffic that day). The driver replied very curtly, "just give me a minute, will you?" as if we were demanding to be dropped off there that moment.

It didn't bother me, but my shy niece was upset. The poor girl was caught between the driver's irritation (I don't think she likes Americans--I didn't much like the ones on the shuttle bus, one of whom brought on two coffees in the restaurant's cups and then left them with the driver!) and my anxiety about getting lost again: I had directions for that day's touring only from Piazza Tasso, and I didn't know where it was.

Anyhow, be prepared for the shuttle. The hotel may well be just 3 meters out of town, but I think the town limits are pretty far from the town's center. It's a 15 minute or so ride. But the hotel is magical, clean, and very well-priced. And all these things have to do with its being away from the bustle and noise of the town, so I would deal with the shuttle again.

Definitely book through the hotel website--the rates are better, and lower still if you mention Rick Steeves's book, which recommends this hotel.

• Liked — Unforgettable view
  • Disliked — distance from town
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Il Nido Hotel Sorrento? Share your experiences!