Reasons to go - Parco dei Principi was a delightful discovery. Its design is as distinctive as it is historic. The first ‘Design Hotel’ in the world, Gio Ponti led work is like a step back in time to the sixties. Almost museum-like in the quality and authenticity of its retro decoration and architecture. And its location is probably the most stunning in Sorrento. The land side is graced by the one of the largest gardens you will find in the area. And the ocean side sits a top a tall cliff which startling views of of the coast and Vesuvius across the bay.
Reasons to avoid - People might find it a little stark and even cold at first (but maybe good for a hot Med day) with all of the tile and ceramic. This antiseptic ambience is at its worst in the dining room at night. Blindingly bright lights destroy any dining atmosphere as well as any ability to see any of the dramatic coastal night lights (the hotel should really replace the dining veranda flourescents with the soft blue lights of the bar and put candles on the table to turn a bland dining atmosphere to a romantic one). Compounding this problem is the hotel’s distance from Sorrento centre. A good kilometer with no hotel shuttle means that you are either stuck with their limited range, over priced dining offering or have to undertake a significant odyssey into town for some local eateries.
Pet Peeves -
• No postcards of the hotel especially when it is so iconic and filled with such sumptuous design.
• No Wifi in rooms (in this day and age, you can’t really call yourself a 5 star and not have this)
- Also Known As:
- Parco Dei Principi Hotel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The extraordinarily stunning views of the sea from the terraces of the rooms in the Parco dei Principi, which is practically suspended between sky and sea, make this, an idyllic and fairytale resort and the surroundings of the hotel are every bit as magical, from the elegant gardens with their tall palms and age-old trees, flowers and plants, to the sea and the private beach. The Hotel Parco dei Principi, was designed and built by the architect Gio Ponti and it is a masterpiece of contemporary art. Using exclusive lines, perfect plays of colours and meticulous attention to furnishings, Gio Ponti created the first "design hotel" of the Sixties. Each part of the property has been kept exactly as it was: all the interiors are original including the majolica tiles, the ceramics and the floors while outside the 27 hectares of historical gardens and the spectacular terrace allow to be closed to nature and sea. Created as a place of harmony, pleasure and relaxation, the hotel offers guests comforts which have been studied down to the smallest detail and is the essence of exquisite hospitality, well-being and relax. The private beach, the charming sea-water swimming pool set in the prestigious and elegant gardens, the Wellness Centre and the Fitness Centre provide guests with fascinating emotions and sensations. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Venere, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Splendia, Priceline, Tingo, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Otel so you can book your Hotel Parco dei Principi reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.