“A new hotel constructed with quality in every aspect.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Grand Hotel La Favorita

You added Grand Hotel La Favorita to your Saves list
Grand Hotel La Favorita
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Tasso Angolo | Piazza Vittorio Veneto, 80067 Sorrento, Italy   |
Ranked #8 of 97 Hotels in Sorrento
Monroe, New York
“A new hotel constructed with quality in every aspect.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

When you first arrive at this hotel the reaction is wow!!! Great view from rooftop pool and patio. Staff most accommodating., Quality complmentary buffet breaakfast. We had a standard room that was spacious and beautifully furnished. We have been to Sorrento many times and hope to go again. La Favorita will be our top choice on where to stay.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
favoritahtl, Direttore at Grand Hotel La Favorita, responded to this review, July 25, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We want to thank you for the great comments you shared with Trip Advisor about our hotel and we are really looking forward to your future visit to the Grand Hotel La Favorita

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (252)
ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

Like another poster in the last few days our experience of the Favorita was overall not a pleasant one.
I emailed a few days before our stay to reconfirm our room. Received an email back the day before our due arrival to say that they had suddenly found an ‘emergency’ in our room and they were booking us into a ‘sister’ hotel. To me a sister hotel is a hotel in the same group, same management, no this is not the case as we found out. After numerous emails back and forth with a very rude sales manager we were left with no option but to go to this other hotel. The sales manager noted ‘they had exceptionally got the same rate in this hotel that we were due to have in the La Favorita’ and expected us to be grateful for this!!!! We booked with them, never wanted a different hotel but we were to be grateful. When asked what the procedure was if we were unhappy that simply we would not be unhappy – asked the question again and was told they had already answered and that we would not be unhappy!!! We were unhappy with other hotel and sharing with lots of ants in our room but we were just too fed up at this stage to complain! It should also be noted that the use of BOLD and explanation marks in emails to customers is extremely rude, not sure if this is a cultural thing but it infuriated us.

On check out from first hotel to the Favorita we had numerous issues, wrong rate, items on bill we never bought including them having no idea of holding our bags until the Favorita picked them up while we were on a tour for the day. By the time we checked into Favorita that evening we had had enough – the fight was gone out of us! On check in we met the reservations/sales manager who apologised for the issues we had encountered that morning (i had sent an very rush annoyed email while on our tour i was so mad - with no response...) but never acknowledged this was all an issue they had caused in the first instance and no apology for all the upset caused by having to move hotel in the beginning especially with less than 12 hours notice which left us unable to book an alternative. The manager upgraded us to a suite but insisted on showing us price lists proving how expensive the room we were getting was compared to our original booking (our original booking was the one below the suite - so it was not cheap to begin with - over 200 a night) we had no interest in the price, we did not want this room we would have been perfectly happy with our deluxe room for the 5 days instead of all the issues, anger etc. The price of the new room was also noted by another member of staff on check in, trying to make us feel that we should bow down to say thanks for the geniorsity – i don’t think so! The rate was also different from what was advertised, i had understood that i booked directly through the hotel but apparently not – something which i will now follow up on. We were also like someone else made sign something saying that we were happy with the price which we were unhappy with but were so fed up at this stage we just signed.

The room itself was nice, not worth the price tag it comes with, but the hotel is okay, the shutters are great, very little street noise for its location. There was one very friendly manager on the front desk though it should be noted who even gave us his computer to print boarding passes.

For a 4 star luxury hotel you expect to be able to have a hot shower or bath as we had a whirlpool however on the last day we had no hot water so had cold showers, some issue that was fixed later that night. Fair enough everyone has problems but was the final straw for us.....

Would not recommend this hotel to anyone.
We did however love sorrento and will come back just not to either hotel we stayed in.........
Fab restaurants - Il Borgo is a must!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
favoritahtl, Direttore at Grand Hotel La Favorita, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We have received your comment on our hotel and we thank you!

We are deeply sorry to learn that our hotel did not meet your expectations as it always does with our coming guests.

Anyway our guests' comments, either positive or negative, are well accepted as they all represent for us a continuous way to improve.

Do not hesitate to give us another opportunity by coming and staying by us once again and in the meantime please accept our best regards.

N wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

We have just got back from a week at the La Favorita and had a really nice time. We got a good deal from E-bookers and booked a superior standard room (whatever that is !! ). When we arrived my husband asked for a room with a sea view but of course the rooms don't have a full sea view because of the Tramontana hotel in front of them but Antonino up-graded us to a room with a partial sea view and also the lovely gardens of the hotel and the church up the road on the left.
The hotel is very well situated and just a few minutes walk from all the major points in Sorrento but far enough away from all the really busy tourist walkways. The roof top pool is amazing with the best view in town of the bay and opposite coast line. The hotel is beautifully decorated with lovely furniture both inside and out but what waste of public rooms that nobody uses. We never saw anyone in the lovely lounge bar or using the outside areas and it was warm enough to sit out when we were there.
We ate out at some good restaraunts such as La Lanterna, the Fauno Bar ( which is a a little more expensive but worth it for the service and the "people watching position " !!! ) and the Foreigners Club. For lovely ice cream go to Primavera on the Corso Italia. For a Fawlty Towers experience go to the La Giardenillo on the Via Academia which apparently in the good guide books but we found it just average !! The Wine Bar next door run by the son is a different story all together, loads of atmosphere and you can get food there also a Happy Hour !
I can appreciate the comments from previous reviews about the views from the back rooms as you can see the crumbly buildings from the roof terrace but we just took it as a view of real Italian life !!! The hotel does cater though a great deal for the Tour of Italy clientele from America, I think we were two of the very few who stayed a full week.......but we enjoyed it .

Cork, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2010

Myself and my boyfriend stayed at this hotel from september 16th to 21st 2010. We were highly stressed when we arrived in Sorrento as himself had been pickpocketed in Rome Termini station on our way down. We really needed the hotel to be nice, so as to help cheer ourselves up. We got a taxi from the train station in Sorrento which was quite expensive at €18 for a 5 minute trip but I was very impressed with the hotel from the minute we arrived.

It looks lovely from the outside and the reception area is huge. There were no problems checking in and a voucher for two free welcome drinks at the Pool bar was a nice touch i thought. We stayed in room 207 and the room was gorgeous. Big double bed, large room and balcony with partial sea view, facing the hotel tramontano. The bathroom was fantastic, large walk in shower plus huge bathtub which was so nice to relax in after a long day sightseeing.

We only ate breakfast on one morning as we like our lie in's but we found it perfectly adequate with a good selection on offer.

The bar area is indeed beautiful but was always empty any time we passed through so we never lingered too long. The location of the hotel is superb, only 5 minutes walk from all the restaurants and bars and still only 5 minutes walk from the Port for the days we wanted to go on trips from there.

And of course, the pool. WOW. It is absolutely gorgeous up by this rooftop pool with plenty sun loungers to choose from and a view right over the Bay of Naples.

Overall, we had a fantastic stay at this hotel.

Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2010

I booked 4nights at The Grand Hotel La Favorita a couple of months in advance of our trip. It was the final stop on a two week trip around Italy and unfortunately our experience there has completely soured my image of the country. Upon arrival I showed the receptionist my print-out of my email confirmation and immediately he gave us the keys to our room. We were not made aware of any problem at this point, but over the coming days I was extremely upset by the aggressive and unpleasant treatment we received. Apologies for the long review but if you’re thinking of staying here I hope you’ll read this first.

Our first room was 309. It was a decent-sized room with tiled floors, a standard double bed and a balcony with a partial, distant view of the sea (through another hotel). The bathroom was clean and had a combined bath and shower. So far all fine. We thought a quiet night in would be nice and relaxing after all our travelling. The bathrobes and slippers, which the welcome booklet said are in every room, were missing. I phoned reception and asked to have some sent up. They never arrived. Our sleep was then disturbed by constant very loud scraping of chairs back and forth for hours on the floor above our room. We didn’t get much sleep and later discovered that there is a bar on the roof (above our room), open to the public until the early hours. The next morning I discovered ants on the floor and in the drawer with my underwear!

At breakfast the Maitre D’ came to our table to say that I had an urgent phone call. I was really worried that something was wrong at home as I followed him across the dining room. The call was from the booking manager Carmine, who said that we must come to see him immediately after our breakfast. The company we booked with had declared bankruptcy while we were in Italy and our booking had been cancelled. It was a well-known company and the news of its closure was headline news in the national media. Carmine told us that room 309 was a luxury room and that he would “do a special deal” and allow us to stay in it if we paid him an extra 330 Euro. The way he spoke to us it was like dealing with a very sleazy used car dealer (You pay me more you get nice room). He showed no sympathy for our unfortunate predicament. We considered his offer but decided that the room was very noisy and had ants and so was not worth paying extra for. We asked to move to a standard room at the price we had paid. We were told it would be basically the same but without the view.

Our second room was 124(?). It was slightly smaller than the first room but basically the same inside. I thought that the curtains were drawn because it was so dark. Then I stepped out onto the balcony and saw that there was a run-down building, a few metres from the balcony, blocking all the daylight. Our view was of a crumbling building, rows of laundry pegged on lines, broken windows and the inhabitants of the building. It was like an inner-city ghetto. I was shocked and presumed that they had given us the worst room in the hotel, but all of the rooms on this side of the hotel would have the same view and lack of light because the building is parallel to that side of the hotel. At this stage we didn’t want the hassle of moving again, as our sight-seeing itinerary was already greatly disrupted, so we stayed put. Very early the next morning we were awoken by more loud scraping (like furniture being dragged around) and the noise of gushing, pouring water. This noise went on for hours. Another awful night’s sleep! We tried to take a nap after breakfast but the noise continued. I went upstairs to see what was above us this time and saw a door ajar with large trolleys full of dirty sheets. It was some kind of housekeeping workroom. We went to reception and asked to speak to the hotel manager about moving....again!

The manager was quite friendly until he went to speak to Carmine, then he became pretty scary. He rudely cut across everything that my boyfriend and I tried to say (We were trying to politely express our concerns). They actually said that they’d never heard of the booking company we’d used and that they would never have had such a cheap offer. I had confirmed my booking with Carmine before we left for Italy and was told by the booking company that it was a new hotel and so had special offers to attract first-time customers! It was like they were accusing us of trying to rip them off. I tried in vain to say that it is normal to get good deals by booking and paying in advance and that no matter what price had been paid no guest should be given a room like that. If I had paid full price for a standard room (200 - 250 Euro per night), via the hotel's website, I would have got this standard of a room. The manager was really intimidating and aggressive and both my boyfriend and I were stunned and appalled by his attitude. He eventually agreed to give us a different room but said, rather menacingly “You’ll sign something that says we accommodated you and that you’re satisfied, because now it’s business!”

Our third room was 138. This room was allegedly cheaper than the luxury room but was much nicer. It's a "superior room". It had a view of the gardens and a bit of the sea and had a lovely big bathroom with a porthole window. It did unfortunately also have ants. However, if they had offered us this room in the beginning, even at a higher price, there would have been no problems. It was the first quiet room we’d stayed in at this hotel and we finally got some well-needed sleep.

I never usually ask to move rooms and I have no problem paying a lot for a luxury hotel, however this hotel is not what I consider to be luxury and the staff are quite simply unbelievably rude. I have stayed in many hotels around the world, from basic accommodation in developing countries to luxury five star hotels, and I HAVE NEVER HAD SUCH A BAD EXPERIENCE as I did at La Favorita. Avoid this place at all costs.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Dear Valued Guests,

We have received your comment on our hotel and we thank you!

We are deeply sorry to learn that our hotel did not meet your expactations as it always does with our coming guests.

Binghamton, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2010

Excellent location, walking distance to everything. Hotel is beautiful and we cannot describe the beautiful views from the rooftop terrace and pool area. Very clean.

Swansea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2010

Having been long term visitors to Sorrento,staying at a variety of hotels,most recently the excellent Grand Hotel De La Ville , we were expecting something wonderful here, based on the reviews and the fact that this is a new hotel (not refurbished as earlier review) It certainly has all the right ingredients from the chandeliers to "antiqued" furniture with a glitzy bar and a lounge stuffed with white leather Chesterfields.The rooftop terrace and pool is equally impressive and the romantic garden with seating area is a little gem,carefully tended every day.The location is good ,near all the bits of Sorrento you would wish to visit and lots of places to eat nearby.We were warmly welcomed at reception by the amiable Antonino and shown to our room.We had booked and paid for a superior room but not sure if that's what we got at first. We experienced some noise for two nights from the air conditioning ( which we apparently imagined ) and were given a change of room and a complimentary bottle of wine. At breakfast we were surprised to find we were not greeted by Roberto the maitre d' ,who popped in and out of his office, and we at first had some problems getting hot tea. (Remember this is 4 star !) Put in a complaint but were advised that we were not giving the hotel a chance. Fair enough, but thereafter we were well looked after by the tireless Carmine .who was excellent with all the guests and ever-smiling.The main problem with this hotel is it is B & B only and while we were there seemed to cater for American touring groups who stayed 2/3 nights spending very little time actually in the hotel,apart from sleeping. This meant that with no evening restaurant the hotel was generally like the" Marie Celeste"- no customers for the bar and no-one in the lounge ! The only time there was ever any life at all was the night of the private party on the roof ( no prior warning given to guests ) resulting in loud music till midnight and the scraping of rooftop furniture till 2.15 am, which particularly affected 3rd floor guests ( including us ) who were trying to sleep. We were told it was the owners son's 18 th birthday party- and were asked if we were ever 18, and anyway we'd only lost one night's sleep in 14. Not true in our case ! We were offered a meal for two at the owners restaurant in town, O'Parruchianos, which we declined as we'd gone in twice to try to get lunch but had been ignored. Fabulous building with some good staff but absolutely no atmosphere or anything like a warm welcome to recommend it. For atmosphere and bonhomie we will return to the De La Ville, the Favorita being too impersonal for our taste.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
favoritahtl, Direttore at Grand Hotel La Favorita, responded to this review, July 27, 2013
Dear Valued Guests,

We want to thank you for your review about our hotel and we are really looking forward to your future visit to our hotel.

Hotel Manager

Been to Grand Hotel La Favorita? Share your experiences!