“Not just any old hole!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #15 of 252 Restaurants in Sorrento
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Dartford, United Kingdom
“Not just any old hole!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

Il Buco (The Hole) has to be one of the best for location, service, food, everything. We had already eaten at one top Sorrento restaurant, but this took it all to another level. We sat downstairs 'in the hole'; a domed underground eating area that my poor description does no favours, sitting beneath a cobbled stone ceiling was a new experience in dining but the whole atmosphere of the place was stunning - it felt luxurious, and it was.
The layout and distance between tables was very good and gave you plenty of your own space that contributed to the intimacy of the place. The staff were very professional and friendly, and very knowledgeable about the food and drinks (the wine list is a story in itself, enormous scope and depth of wines to choose from; I had a sagrantino - difficult to get back home - it was superb) on offer.
An appetiser preceded the starters and it had a lovely intense flavour to go with the champagne aperitif. The starters were amazing; I had buffalo mozzarella in four ways (it tasted great), and my wife had a layered vegetable mousse (in the colours of the Italian flag) that she immensely enjoyed. The main meals of fish of the day, and lamb were truly amazing, once again the taste was superb; all of this was followed by desserts that continued in the same vein.
Il Buco is far from cheap, but worth every euro because we had a great night at a magnificent Sorrento restaurant - booked a table and enjoy a really memorable meal (you will bore friends and family for ages talking about this place).

Saint Louis, Missouri, United States
“One of the best dinners we had in Italy”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2013

This restaurant was strongly recommended by friends from home and we were not disappointed. As others have said, impeccable service and interesting, tasteful food. Interior in the cellar of a former monastery, is very attractive. After being seated and looking through the extensive menu, the Chef came to our table to help us with our order. We decided to go with the "Trust me" tasting menu with wine pairings and each dish seemed better than the last. Finished with the soufflé. Portions are small, but we much prefer that. Probably not the right place for someone looking for a huge chunk of steak, but if you enjoy well prepared food where every bite is a new taste, this is hard to beat.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Outstanding Dining Experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

My husband and I ate here during our honeymoon. We were overwhelmed by how outstanding the service and food were. We relied on our waiter to make recommendations and he did a wonderful job. My husband enjoyed the Chef's Selection and I enjoyed various courses, with one being more delicious than the last. The service was impeccable and was a completely enjoyable and memorable dining experience. Definitely perfect for a special or romantic occasion.

Visited September 2013
1 Thank Apkelly3
Shenfield, Essex
“Good Food, Great location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2013 via mobile

We were apprehensive about what to expect, whether Il Buco would live up to the hype, as we were extremely disappointed with our meal at the Excelsior Vittorio. We needn't have worried as the food was amazing and staff very courteous with a great ambience! Go here for a special occasion. We had the roast chicken for our main and it was beautifully cooked! The entire meal was truly special!

Annapolis, Maryland
“Great Dinner”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

My husband and I made reservations here before we even left the states. We spent two weeks in Italy for our honeymoon, and Il Buco was the one place I found during my trip research that I couldn't wait to try. We've had excellent meals all over the world, and our experience at Il Buco lived up to our expectations. We were immediately shown to our romantic outdoor table upon arrival, and we settled in for a relaxing evening of delicious food. We're big on tasting menus, feeling like it's the best way to see exactly what the chef can do; Il Buco has a few different tasting menu options, which we really liked. After a little debate (I really wanted the white truffle tasting menu...*sigh*) we decided to try the 8 course "trust me" menu with wine parings. The wines were superbly paired, and each course was delicious. We thoroughly enjoyed our meal at Il Buco.

1 Thank Stephanie S