“Great location, room, breakfast” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Convento San Michele

Hotel Convento San Michele
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Salerno
Hotel Convento San Michele
You added Hotel Convento San Michele to your Saves list
Via Bastioni, 8, 84125 Salerno, Italy   |
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Salerno
Atlanta, Georgia
“Great location, room, breakfast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 13, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for three days in late May. We found the room and hotel (B&B) to be a great location for our side trips, and we found that the old part of Salerno was suprisingly pleasant.

The room is clean and satisfactory, nothing special, but good value. Breakfast was a good buffet each morning. Most people at breakfast were professors (we believe) connected with the University. We did not see other obvious tourists. A little on the high side at 90 Euro per night, but we did not find any better/equivelant bargins. One negative they requuired cash, though all the major credit cards were advertised. They implied it was a temp problem.

If walking, the old town, duomo etc. are right down a set of long steps from the Convento. And ped Zone is an easy walk.

We had a car, and parking is available for 4-5 vehicles. We lucked out and got a space each night.

Day trips were easy to Amalifi (Ravello), Pompei and Pasteum.

Each evening we had a great meal along the pedestrian street (2 blocks above the water). We ate and watched the locals strolling each evening for a few hours. Excellent pasta e fagioli. But, promptly at 9pm it seemed all the shops closed and people disappeared. We walked after dark and felt very safe.

Lots of fun, depending on your disposition, was trying to find the Convento each day after a car trip. We had a GPS, which seems to get us more confused. Each time we ended up lost and driving around little old town streets. The GPS would say Arrived at Destination, and we would scratch our heads. It seems we may have VERTICALLY been below or above our location - but you couldn't get there without a vertical lift. This effort actually is a highlight memory of our trip. GET A SMALL CAR!

I don't recommend spending too much time in the main city of Salerno. See the old town, walk the ped zone, and make day trips - it is just a big city otherwise.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple

Families
BeanTown
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

My wife and I stayed her two nights in May 2010. It was interesting to say the least. We had a beautiful mural on the ceiling and it was extremely quite, and clean. Bathroom was small and rather noisy . Remember this was an old convent before being made into a hotel. It was about a 20 minute walk to the train station and ferry boat landing. Staff tried to be helpful, but unlike the rest of the Amalfi coast they struggled with English. The hotel is behind the Dumo, which is definitely worth a visit and very close to the “old Salerno”. We found to be very attractive for a large town, and it definitely is not touristy. Every thing is closed on Monday, so plan accordingly. We used his location to travel to Paestum for a day trip. This is must see! It was as good as Pompeii and the museum was considerable better than the Archaeological Museum in Naples. It was truly amazing! The hotel staff recommended “La Cantina del Feudo” and we would as well. We would recommend the hotel as a good place to stay in Salerno. Don’t miss Paestum!

Billy La, May 2010

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Llangollen, N. Wales
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2010

Stayed a couple on nights here on business. Basic but well maintained and spotless room with a comfortable bed and a good shower. The building has been sympathetically restored and has some fascinating original feature, including a view into Roman baths excavated below the basement lounge. Basic breakfast with excellent coffee. I'm not sure if the restaurant is open every day but we had three meals there and they were very good indeed.
The hotel is pretty much next to the Duomo in the old quarter of town and there's a train stop (for Pompeii/Naples) just 2 minutes walk away.
The only downside is that the vaulted ceilings in the rooms and hallways seem to act as sound boxes; consequently it was very noisy into the small hours, particularly from the reception desk area.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Riddlesden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2009

My girlfriend and I spent seven nights at this hotel: I was in town to do some work at the University but we extended the visit to incorporate a mini-holiday. We had a good stay and enjoyed the Convento San Michele, not least because its location was excellent. It's in Salerno's old town and you can easily walk to the main thoroughfares in a couple of minutes. The harbour area is a 5 min walk, while the train station can be easily reached in 10-15 mins on foot. This latter point is useful: train connections to Pompeii and Naples are regular and a visit to each is a must (especially Pompeii, which can be reached by train in 25 mins). There's a bus that goes to Amalfi which you can catch near the station too. So as well as being a great town in itself, Salerno is a great base to explore the local region. And we have never eaten food as consistently good as you will find in this part of Italy anywhere else in Europe -- no joke.

Our room was spacious and clean, and nicely functional. It had some little quirks, mind: the en suite bathroom was a kind of room-within-a-room and tardis-like (but totally fine!). There was no safe facility in the room, which I would have appreciated. The only issue I had was occasionally noise: the corridor outside led straight to the reception area and, due to the acoustics of the building, it could be noisy when people came in at night and chatted while they found their room. But the pros far outweighed the cons, and I'd go back to this hotel if I stay in Salerno again.

The building itself is rather wonderful, especially when you get downstairs to the restaurant area. The breakfasts were very nice and served with Italian charm in a fascinating part of the old convent. The lounge area by the bar has glass tiles on the floor and you can see through them down to the remains of the old baths which have been exvacated. While we were there, there was a modern art installation amidst the remains which looked amazing when illuminated at night. We didn't eat dinner n the restaurant but we heard good things about it.

The staff are friendly and helpful on the whole, and we had no problems communicating about basic needs in English. All in all, this was a pretty good place and well worth considering if you're stopping in Salerno.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Bergen, Norway
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2007

I had stayed in an old convent in the north of Italy on a previous occasion. That time I was a bit disappointed. Luckily, the Convento San Michele was nothing like my other convent experience! It was very charming and located in the wonderful old part of Salerno, with shopping, restaurants, bars and coffee places within close proximity. It was approximately a 10-15 minute walk from the train station. The room was clean and spacious, with a TV and part of the time also WiFi for my laptop. The only thing I missed was a phone in my room. Breakfast was nice; a selection of croissants, jams, bread, juices, water, etc., and coffee brewed to order. The staff was very helpful, smiling and friendly. The only problem was that very few of them spoke much English. Not a big problem though. The hotel has a restaurant in the basement that serves dinner, but unfortunately I never get around to try it during my three days in Salerno. I would recommend the hotel to anybody going to Salerno! I loved the convento and I loved the city!

• Liked — location, atmosphere
  • Disliked — no phone in my room
  • Stayed February 2007, traveled on business
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Convento San Michele? Share your experiences!