“A beautiful villa, but a big price to pay!” 4 of 5 stars

Villa Santa Maria
Via Cappella, 10, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #12 of 29 Amalfi B&B and Inns
n. ireland
“A beautiful villa, but a big price to pay!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2009

I have just returned from Villa Santa Maria on the Amalfi coast and I have to say it is the most luxurious and beautiful villa I have ever seen! The accomodation was second to none and I doubt if I will ever experience the likes of it again. My sister booked it for her wedding and it really was the dream location. I feel I do have to warn potential guests of a few drawbacks however! There are 150 steps down to the villa from the road, which becomes a major nightmare when you are struggling up them - especially in a bridesmaid dress or wedding dress! My parents are in their sixties and they found it very difficult. It is not a villa designed for the elderly, disabled or young children! Apart from that, everything went swimmingly until the final morning when Cristina, the owner, arrived and tried to fleece the newly married couple! Like they hadn't paid enough for the place in the first place! She wanted them to pay for the maintenance of her jacuzzi, despite no damage being done! As well as that, a child in the party accidentally broke a vase which said seven euro on the bottom. She wanted them to pay 145! It really ruined tha last day for everyone, especially the newly weds and really wasn't a pleasant experience. We are decent people who have respect for other peoples' property and we were treated like we had committed a cardinal sin! A word of warning to anyone who stays!

Stayed June 2009, traveled with family

32 people have reviewed this hotel

Solo
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2009

We booked the entire villa for the last week of May, 2009 for our son's wedding in Ravello. Words can't describe the spectacular views from the villa. We could actually see Sophia Loren's villa too, which is very close by. The owners and staff were very friendly and extremely helpful. The rooms are spacious and very clean. The entire grounds are immaculate and the many terraces allow for privacy if desired. It is as romantic as a place to be found. We had a chef and his staffcome to the villa to prepare the rehearsal dinner and it was delicious and charming. There are also great restaurants within walking distance and a couple others that will pick you up at the villa's private dock too. Amalfi, Positano, Ravello are just a few of the nearby towns to visit, shop and dine in. The locals along the coast were all very friendly. We promised to return to the villa someday and we will!

The Keegans

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with family
Tel Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2007

We have stayed six nights at the wonderful Santa Maria Villa near Amalfi. At the end of September 2007.
We came as a couple to celebrate our 20th anniversary. And the owners help me to surprise my wife with flowers, Champaign and chocolate.
Villa Santa Maria is a small villa (about 7 rooms) which has only been opened this year. It is sheer paradise – beautiful villa with fabulous view providing privacy and making you feel you're in a very special place.
The staffs at the villa and the owners are very sweet and aim to please. Breakfast was delicious and served outside on the balcony watching the astonishing view of the sea.
The villa decorate in a modern style and outside there are lovely places to sit and watch the view.
The place has a Jacuzzi, sauna, gym and privet beach.
Villa Santa Maria is a great place to stay - perfect for romantic couples.
We enjoyed so much our vacation that we are planning to come back . It was the way I always imagined a romantic vacation. I recommend this to everybody.

Israel Laban

• Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Dublin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2007

We have just returned from a short (too short!) stay in Villa Santa Maria in Amalfi. It is a first rate hotel. Everything is top notch. The hotel itself is new, the decor if chic and the views are breathtaking.

The owners and staff in this small hotel are very friendly and the breakfasts were very good (while I love Italy, breakfasts are not usually a strong point but here they were fab - full of fresh fruit, ham, tomatoes, cheese and pastries).

There is a private swim area which is well kitted out and they will arrange for a boat to bring you to the next beach for lunch (unless you want to canoe or swim there). There is a hot tub and even a small gym area in case you felt the need (I didn't).

The bedrooms were tastefully decorated and the air conditioning was good (an essential in my book).

All told we had a wonderful break. The temptation is to say nothing and hope that no one else finds it but that would be fair to this new well run hotel. My advice, go there and enjoy every minute of it.

• Liked — The views and the people
  • Disliked — It is down a number of steps and there are more steps to the sea - not their fault, Amalfi is mainly on a cliff so we knew before going.
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Villa Santa Maria? Share your experiences!