“Magical” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #10 of 36 Amalfi B&B and Inns
Bermuda
“Magical”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2013

My stay at Villa Rina's was absolutely magical. The fresh lemons and fresh produce from her garden that she would prepare the meals with was absolutely delicious. The Villa was perfect for my family. Amazing food, breathtaking views, and Rina is lovely. I would highly recommend staying at Villa Rina's.

Room Tip: There is hundreds of steps to get up to the Villa, so pack light. Also not ideal if anyone you are t...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

My wife and I recently visited the towns of the Amalfi Coast in October. Everyone who travels comes back home with fond memories. Ours was the town of Amalfi due in part to the time we spent at the Villa Rina. Yes, the walk up and down might seem long to some, but for us, it was a walk of beauty and the Villa Rina was worth it. It's hard to explain the beauty and the views afforded by the Villa Rina but we could have sat there all day and soaked in it's treasure. All the rooms were outstanding and all offered views of the sea and landscape. We were amazed at the property full of groves that offered fruit and vegetables that Rina included in her delicious meals. We fell in love with Rina whose warmth and charm only enhanced our stay. My wife and I are already talking about our return. We left feeling that Rina was a part of our family and our experience at the Villa Rina was our fondest memory.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

I want to preface this review by saying that I am 57 years old today. I stayed in Villa Rina on 20th of September 2013 for two days.

To get to Villa Rina, you have to climb 269 steps, and yes they are steep. It takes 15 to 20 mins depending on your level of fitness. If you want a hotel and have physical impediments, you probably should stay elsewhere. If you are a middle aged couple, with some lung capacity left, the steps are an excellent way to stay fit.

Once you get to the top, at the Villa, you have an amazing view. What you see is a view of the whole of the Amalfi coast from way up, above Amalfi, looking towards Ravello. Since this is a very old home, it is surrounded by lemon groves, and night the place just lights up. The home has been renovated to exceptional standards, I know as I have a similar home in an Umbrian hill town, and I know quality when I see it. All materials are authentic.

I do love authentic places, and Rina has done an amazing job restoring this house. The rooms were spotless, and we had a beautiful bathroom, so I did not have the experience of a hall bathroom. I have to say that the domed roof and bathroom of the room we stayed in were truly of exquisite taste. Please understand that EVERYTHING in this home had to be brought in on a man's or donkey's back. This is why the place is so beautiful. It has NO road.... But the view from the room and terrace where one eats are just beautiful.

Rina cooks fresh food from the garden. You might wish to tell her if you have any allergies, but in reality she is a brilliant cook, and although she has help, she supervises every detail. Our meals were excellent. Fresh fish, which of course she picks up each morning in the market, and vegetables from her own garden. All cooked simply to perfection.

In short this is perhaps the highlight of our stay in Amalfi. Please note that Amalfi and teh whole coast are best reached by boat and public transport. You cannot use a car, as the road is chock a block with traffic. All the places you may want to visit can be reached in foot, and by public transport.

Summary: This is NOT A CRUISE SHIP holiday, it is the opposite. Thank the lord places like this exist, thanks to the hard work of Rina.

's back, so the

Room Tip: Rooms facing the valley have a balcony and a view to die for,
Santa Fe, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2013

After reading many glowing reviews I had looked forward to four days at Villa Rina. This was my 3rd trip to the Amalfi Coast and so was expecting the BEST..as the reviews state. It was a busy Saturday when we arrived and there were NO parking spaces or places to stop to park or drop off our bags. We called Rina and within 5 minutes she sent a young man to carry our bags. We managed to climb the 400 steps but started to realize there were few hand rails, and if planning to go out for dinner and have to return after dark, this would be a tricky situation because lighting was minimal at best. Rina was at the top and greeted us warmly. She then proceeded to show us our room..the economy double room with PRIVATE External Bathroom. STOP here. The bathroom was not just external BUT was on the floor below AND we would be sharing the bathroom with the family of 3 that had the room across the hall from us. Rina intimated that we had changed our plans and she was accommodating us??? My reservation was made in January 2013 and a revision was made a few days later, for my September 14th arrival; therefore sufficient time to make scheduled changes. I think the family of 3 was as surprised as we were. We were given 2 towels (no cups or glasses) for the bathroom. I had not brought sleep attire to shuffle up and down stairs ( no handrails and a timed light that went off halfway between rooms) and possibly in front of strangers. Of course, the next morning the 5 of us were jockeying to see who would go next, etc. My hippy, hostel days are long gone and this was NOT my idea of a wonderful vacation in Amalfi. We explained to Rina this was not expected; again, she explained of “changes” in the reservation..I said the changes were made in January. Then she explained she had to charge us for the reserved 4 days because of her commitment to pay Booking.com and also she would not be able to offer the room in such short time. She agreed not to charge us the 80.00 Euros for the previous night's dinner. She also offered the breakfast before we departed. It started out pleasantly until her husband, seated in the living room started an Italian outburst. I know little Italian, but I do know the swear words..and [--] l was placed between every other word. I tried to get a record of it on my camera but was too grainy ( could have been a hit on Youtube) BTW..Rina's husband has an almost permanent position in front of the TV, watching soccer with headphones on,...so, whenever you have to go to and from your room, you have to pass by him. It could make one feel like an intruder.---After paying for 4 days and walking down the 400 steps and then 3 blocks to retrieve our car..we thought this was the end of story---no way. A week later we were contacted by Booking.com (actually 3 times via Email) . The first time they wanted to confirm we were a “NO SHOW”. I advised that was not the case and that we indeed were there, one night, and paid 400 Euros to satisfy our reservation requirements. It seems Rina had a lapse in memory about our stay, and then later remembered and changed her response to Booking.com In my last Email to Booking.com I informed them that the room we were presented was NOT as the description states. It IS external, BUT also on the floor below the bedroom.
I do have to add, the food is excellent and the views are spectacular. Just BEWARE and INFORMED. If you are 60+ you may have some extra challenges. EVERY time you want to leave the premises you have the steps to contend with...and IF going out after dark, the lighting and handrails are minimal or non-existent. If staying at the villa for every meals, you may want to ask what will be served because Rina presents whatever she plans that day. If you have food allergies or dislike certain food items you will need to tell her.
In closing; this villa is perfect for the younger set or those that enjoy the vigorous climb daily and a set menu with fresh, wonderfully prepared local ingredients. Senior travelers may want to heed this review. NOTE: I have pix and Emails available to support my review.

Room Tip: Economy Room has bathroom on the floor below the room.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2013

Villa Rina was the highlight B & B in a trip full of highlights. Rina is a lovely and warm host of a small B & B just outside Amalfi, with a beautiful view of the Mediterranean, a piece of Amalfi and vineyards. Her home-grown and cooked meals were delicious and varied. She makes her own olive oil and wine, grows many of the vegetables and herbs she cooks, and of course the lemons for the lemonade she serves when one arrives, with breakfast and upon returning from a day's activities. We stayed 4 nights (one more than we had originally planned) and ate dinner their every night. Each meal was different and sublime. Her pasta and pasta sauce are as good as we have ever had. Each evening we ate on the patio enjoying the view and the company of the other guests. Rina arranged with Carmela, the young woman who helps with dinner, to lead a group of the guests on a 2-1/2 hour walk down from Scala through Valle Delle Ferriere to Amalfi. She had access through a locked gate to a spectacular waterfall. The next day she arranged a private boat tour of the coast and finally the driver back to the airport. The rooms are comfortable with larger than usual (for Europe) shower and a small balcony. There are 255 steps from the road to the inn, according to a guest who said he had counted them. We had one heavy bag, which she arranged to have carried up and back down. That sounds like a lot of steps, but it is a fraction of the number of step most people will climb each day they are on the Amalfi Coast. If steps aren't your thing, you should probably think about vacationing elsewhere! We can't recommend Villa Rina highly enough and look or ward to returning soon!

Room Tip: There are no bad rooms!
Toronto
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2013

Villa Rina is a very special place and Rina's hospitality, the delicious food that she prepares from her organic garden, and the views from our terrace totally blew us away! The hotel is a bit of a hike up the hill (about 15 mins from Amalfi center if you're in decent shape), but is totally worth it and probably necessary considering how delicious the food is. You wake up to the smell of freshly baked croissants, served with butter and jam made from the variety of fruit trees that grow on Rina's property. They're followed by fresh tomatoes and eggs and seasonal fruit (persimmons for us). Make sure to allow Rina to prepare dinner for you at least once during your stay (we paid 35EUR each for dinner + wine + limoncello). The pasta she made for us was the best we've had over our whole trip and the highlight for me was whole fish wrapped in lemon leaves. The dinner changes daily based on what's in season at the shore and in Rina's garden. Staying at Villa Rina was definitely one of the highlights of our trip. Thank you, Rina!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have the same fantastic view. The top room has a terrace and a private external bat...
Tel Aviv, Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

You should climb 300+ steps to get to the villa. It is not fancy but located in a very special and old building surrounded by grapes lemons and vegetables. A great and quite place to rest, amazing view from the balcony. You will probably spend the evening seating on the veranda drinking homemade wine and listening to Rina's stories. This place is unlike any other, but may be difficult for long stay and using it as a base to sightseeing because of the stairs. We had a great time!

Room Tip: Amalfi is so amazing, make sure to visit !
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple