“Beyond Perfect” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
South
“Beyond Perfect”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 8, 2009

We have just returned from a four night stay at this hotel to celebrate our 20th wedding anniversary, I can tell you that I have been using trip advisor for the last seven years and must confess that notwithstanding the fantastic guidance it has always provided to me I have never written a review before. This time however our experience was so good I felt it would have been unfair not to comment.

Let me start by telling you that I travel extensively for business and have stayed in hotels all over Europe and North America and never have I come across a hotel quite as unique and remarkable as this one. First of all Amalfi is a beautiful traditional Italian town the life of which centres around the hustle and bustle of the main street and square. The hotel itself is just off the main street up a number of steps. For someone who stays at nothing less that 4 and 5 start hotels I was apprehensive about staying here given its 3 star rating but the reviews were so positive I had to try it. From the outside the hotel looks like any other traditional Italian building in the town but its only when you step in that the experience begins. All I can say is that you immediately feel “at home”. Agnes and Eva are two of the most pleasant people I have ever encountered. Upon our arrival they immediately greeted us by name (first name that is) and offered us refreshments which were most welcome (given it was 30 degrees and we had come down on the boat from Naples (a fabulous experience in itself). Once we had cooled down Eva showed us to our Junior Suite which has to be seen to be believed. Let’s just say that you would never believe such a beautiful room exists in this building and the hotel is spotless and I mean spotless. Large comfortable double bed, loft with Jacuzzi tub, separate shower / bathroom (with automatic violet lights which switch on when entering and don’t wake you up if you need to use the bathroom during the night!) LCD TV, bathrobes, slippers, best priced minibar I have ever seen and all this for the price of a standard hotel room in the general area! The service in the hotel in beyond description – the best thing to say is that you know you are welcome and appreciated as a customer. Each evening Agnes and / or Eva recommended a fabulous restaurant and on the night of our anniversary they had already made a reservation at a fantastic sea front restaurant. Couple this with the fact that when we came home from our day trip to Capri that day we found a complimentary bottle of Prosecco on ice in our room and I think you will start to get a sense of how fantastic this hotel truly is. Finally Angnes helped us with out travel arrangements back to Rome and printed out all the required ferry and train times. As someone who spends more nights in hotel beds than my own bed I can tell you that this was the first time I was truly saddened to have to check out.

Just to ensure some balance to my review I should comment on some of the negative observations in other reviews about the lack of a view from the rooms and the breakfast. It is true that the hotel does not have seafront views but then again it doesn’t advertise itself to have any! If that is what you want then you need to pick another hotel at twice the price and half the service. It is also true that the hotel serves a “light” continental breakfast consisting of cold meats, cheese, cereal, fruit, natural yogurt and some pastries. While the choice could be extended the breakfast is consistent with my experience in several 4 and 5 star continental hotels (with the exception of American branded hotels but then again if that is the experience you are after then you are staying at the wrong hotel anyway). Why not try instead to wake up to a truly Italian experience where you feel part of the community rather than an unwelcome visitor passing through.

Thank you Agnes and Eva for a wonderful experience. You both helped greatly in making our 20th wedding anniversary a truly special occasion for us.

PS. We visited Capri, Positano and Revello while there. Capri and Positano are far more commercialized than Amalfi and very “geared” towards tourists. Revello is beautiful but having consider our options if we had it all again we would stay at the Hotel Floridiana in Amalfi.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We chose this hotel because it was rated #1 in Amalfi on Tripadvisor. Our honeymoon began in Sorrento (we did our day trips to Capri and Pompeii from there, but they are also possible from Amalfi, just a bit further distance), and the Amalfi side was the second part of our trip. We searched other hotels before we left and thought about staying in Positano instead, but decided to go with this one in the end. We drove in, which would have been tricky since the hotel is in a restricted traffic zone so few cars are allowed, but Agnese at the hotel provided us with thorough instructions on how to find their parking garage. The garage is just a 5 minute walk from the hotel and if you require, the porters in town will gladly transport any luggage for you within about 10 minutes (free of charge). At first glance, the hotel appears old and nondescript, which might scare some travelers. To us it looked authentic for the area. Inside we were greeted by Eve, who was genuinely friendly and seemed to actually care that we arrived. The place was well decorated and immaculate. We had a ton of questions, and she answered each one without any attitude (I'm sure she gets the same questions from every guest). After showing us to our room and providing us with bus and ferry schedules, Eve rejected my tip - again, she was just doing her job -- how refreshing!

The hotel rooms are basic, but very clean and offer everything you would need. The breakfast is also pretty good (typical for what you would get at most hotels in Italy). Internet is available on their computer and is free. There is also a supermarket next door to pick up extra water, snacks, and drinks at a fraction of the price you will pay on the street from overpriced vendors.

The hotel is located in the most ideal location in Amalfi right on the main street, just steps to the major restaurants, shops, beach, and port (including all ferries, buses for local and longer distance day trips). We decided to stay in Amalfi because it was less expensive than Positano for similar types of hotels. Instead, we took a 20 minute ferry ride to Positano for about 6 Euros. It was definitely the right choice. Positano is very picturesque and one day trip there was enough. Another quick, but essential day trip was to Ravello, just 30 minutes on the open air bus up the hill with full commentary for just 3 Euros each way.

The Floridiana was perfect as our base during our stay in Amalfi and offered amazing value. It is clearly rated #1 for a reason...we would stay there again in a heartbeat. Thanks Agnese, Eve, and staff!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2009

We had a wonderful stay at the Floridiana in Amalfi. We have only good words to describe this small hotel. Located off the main street of Amalfi, this is a smartly converted mansion. Bedrooms (we got a superior room) are large and well appointed, well ventilated and cool even without turning the AC on. Bathrooms are updated and sparkling clean, as is the rest of the hotel. Breakfast is adequate, could be stepped up though. The breakfast room has an outstanding original painted ceiling. Staff was very attentive, giving us directions and suggestions on how to visit the area, they even signed us for a free 2-h tour of the city before we had arrived. Suggestions for eating out were also right on. But what really amazed us is their parking arrangements and the crew they have to cart our luggage in and out of the hotel (Amalfi is practically built on the vertical, very narrow streets linked by stairs).

Newcastle, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2009

We adored this small and lovely hotel. The central location was perfect (for accessing local attractions and also close proximity to bus station and ferries). Staff were extremely helpful. Our highlight was going to Ravello and getting the view from Villa Rufolo (the one on the front of all the amafli coast guide books!) and eating in the Albergo Ristorante Garden (right next to the Ravello bus stop). My partner and I both agreed we had the best meal we have ever had here and the views were breathtaking. The only negative thing about Amalfi is the price of taxis! We would higlhy recommend the hotel Flourdiana to everyone.

Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Silver Spring, MD
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

I can’t say enough good things about the Floridiana Hotel. It was rated #1 on tripadviser in Amalfi and I can see why. It’s really almost like a bed and breakfast as it has only 13 rooms. The location is outstanding - a 5 minute walk to the center of Amalfi. Plus it is a really neat historic building dating from the 12th century. You have to see the breakfast room to believe it. Most importantly, the owner & staff make you feel welcome & cannot do enough for you.

Boston area, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2009

Very happy with our stay at Floridiana Hotel. Anges and Eva were extremely welcoming and informative. Rooms are clean and comfortable, and the location is excellent. The only negative thing to report is that we found the evening staff member (Luigi) not as prepared to help when we had questions for the next day's activities (English is not his strong suit), so make sure to catch Agnes and Eva during the day.

West Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

I am a traveler that usually bypass reviews. This time I looked for a hotel in this region. I will say that I am glad I did. The service in this small hotel is wonderful. The fact that when you call you can talk with the owner and she will help you with anything you need.. "when was the last time you could do this" Upon our arrival, we parked the car and the hotel sent their baggage service to take our bags straight to the hotel. I have stayed at many hotels in Europe and I can says that this one was the cleanest and modern of all. Please try this hotel... you can't beat the location and the PRICE is amazing giving the location. I have priced other hotels and they are double the price. Keep doing what you are doing and we will be back..

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to Floridiana Hotel? Share your experiences!