“Brilliant location and great value for money!” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Fontana
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Duomo 7, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
London, United Kingdom
“Brilliant location and great value for money!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

I came to Amalfi for a friends wedding and this hotel is fab. I read other reviews about the noise and breakfast etc but was not put off. Firstly the location is bang smack in the middle of things so you would be silly not to grab breakfast out, nevertheless there is a continental style breakfast that will suffice if you so wish. The staff are super friendly and the place has a laid back family feel. My room was huge for the price and I had a window overlooking the square. Now yes it is noisy-ish as you are facing the main square in Amalfi but the view of the cathedral was spectacular and I enjoy listening to the hustle and bustle! I left my windows open at night and at 6am you can smell bread being baked which was divine! This is a 3 star hotel but it has everything you need and the hairdryer in the room was good. (I bring my own wherever I go!)

Getting up to the reception is difficult because there are stairs if you are by yourself and have a lot of luggage. However if you are in twos just wait with the bags and ask at reception for help. This is typical of a few hotels in amalfi as the place is all stairs! Not great if you have mobility issues in general and Amalfi is definitely not the place if you use a wheelchair.

The only thing I would have liked is a safe in my room (unless I couldn't find it!) .

I'd stay here again the price point is brilliant!

Room Tip: For bread smells and a view of the square go with a square facing room, for quiet and the sea ask f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2012

Hotel Fontana is so easy to reach, 2 minutes down from the bus and you are there, in the middle of Amalfi town. Cathedral, cafes and beach on your doorstep. Arriving and leaving was so easy. I loved its location, so central. And also the fact that I got a sea view room, so nice!! Also the service was quite good, particularly the lady in the morning shift, she is so attentive and friendly. The only problem for me was that the wi-fi can be used only in the main public area and it's not free. I may pay for wi-fi, no worries, but definitely not if I cannot use it in the room.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
Norfolk, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

This hotel was actually worth every penny. We had an amazing view, 300 feet from where the buses drop you and Sea Front. It's at the foot of the beautiful Cathedral of Amalfi. The owners are all family and couldn't be more friendly! The only reason I did not give this 5 stars was because the noise can be a little unsettling if you are use to complete silence when you sleep. We just got up when everyone else in the town seemed to be up, ate the wonderful free breakfast and took a nap around 1400 everyday. It was just great! We will go back!

Room Tip: Corner rooms have 3 HUGE windows, floor to ceiling, that open to the city!
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

"HOTEL FONTANA, AMALFI: This was booked through our Australian travel agent, and despite being a 3-star "cheap" hotel, it was almost as expensive as our 4-star hotels in Florence and Rome. Fortunately a friend had warned us about the steep flights of stairs from the road, so we left our bags and asked reception to fetch them, and took the lift from the ground floor restaurant. We had booked a "non-smoking twin-bed Junior Suite with sea-view terrace", and when we opened the door the room reeked of stale tobacco smoke, the curtains were grubby, and there was only a tiny Juliet balcony - no terrace, a double bed and a single bed. We immediately went back to reception to complain and were told that this was their interpretation of our booking, however they would upgrade us. We were then given a huge suite, with an enormous terrace: Still grubby curtains; a mezzanine with a double bed and 2 single beds on the lower floor; a box room/wardrobe, and a bathroom. The beds were so uncomfortable (thin lumpy mattresses) that my friend had to use my inflatable airplane seat to get any rest at all. The linen was clean but shabby. The lavatory seat roamed freely. The tiled floors were dusty. The breakfasts were minimal. When I asked for a beach towel at 5.30 pin, the grumpy man on reception said he didn't know where they were kept. When I got one off the maid the next day, it was full of holes. This family hotel has seen better days, and the only thing going for it is the ideal location."

Room Tip: choose another hotel!
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Florence, AL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

So, not everyone who works here speaks English. I didn't go to Italy to be at home. It sits between the sea and the main plaza. Its basic and clean, maybe a little quirky...but quirk never killed anyone, it only enhances the experience. High ceilings in the rooms, with French doors leading out little balconies. The breakfast buffet was various sweets, but a croissant and Nutella with espresso is a marvelous way to begin the day. The staff was helpful, especailly the morning manager. I found it to be affordable and charming with the best possible location. The bus stop is just out front. The only trick was finding the entrance as the lower floor is dedicated to other shops. Go to the far side of the building and there's the stairs up.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front face the sea, rooms to the back face the piazza, rooms on the side get a slice of...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Location was perfect in amalfi to use as a base for the coastal area. I stayed 2 nights and enjoyed my time - room was large but no view and quiet noisy as its above the main square but i was fine with this as it adds to the experience. Staff weren't too helpful with tips but that was ok as its easy to find information out. The breakfast was good with variety and set me up for the day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Waterloo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Hotel Fontana. It is a 3 star property. It was a great stay. The hotel was very clean. The rooms are basic but exactly like the website shows. There were no surprizes. If fact our room had beautiful 12 feet ceiling - french doors with little balcony - full of charm - it is an older, family run hotel. You are right in the heart of Amalfi. The buses, ferries etc are right outside your door. Excellent location. If you keep your doors closed at night - noise is not an issue and the air conditioning worked perfectly. The staff were very polite and friendly - they genuinely cared. We loved our stay here. I would have no hestiation staying at this hotel again. If you know Italy this is exactly how the 3 stars properties are. Just to note if you have trouble walking - there are approx 10 fairly steep steps to walk up to the hotel enterance - but that's Italy!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Fontana? Share your experiences!