“Location Doesn't Get Any Better” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Fontana
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Piazza Duomo 7, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #25 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Florence, AL
“Location Doesn't Get Any Better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2011

So, not everyone who works here speaks English. I didn't go to Italy to be at home. It sits between the sea and the main plaza. Its basic and clean, maybe a little quirky...but quirk never killed anyone, it only enhances the experience. High ceilings in the rooms, with French doors leading out little balconies. The breakfast buffet was various sweets, but a croissant and Nutella with espresso is a marvelous way to begin the day. The staff was helpful, especailly the morning manager. I found it to be affordable and charming with the best possible location. The bus stop is just out front. The only trick was finding the entrance as the lower floor is dedicated to other shops. Go to the far side of the building and there's the stairs up.

Room Tip: Rooms on the front face the sea, rooms to the back face the piazza, rooms on the side get a slice of...
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Location was perfect in amalfi to use as a base for the coastal area. I stayed 2 nights and enjoyed my time - room was large but no view and quiet noisy as its above the main square but i was fine with this as it adds to the experience. Staff weren't too helpful with tips but that was ok as its easy to find information out. The breakfast was good with variety and set me up for the day.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Waterloo
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2011

We have just returned from 3 nights at the Hotel Fontana. It is a 3 star property. It was a great stay. The hotel was very clean. The rooms are basic but exactly like the website shows. There were no surprizes. If fact our room had beautiful 12 feet ceiling - french doors with little balcony - full of charm - it is an older, family run hotel. You are right in the heart of Amalfi. The buses, ferries etc are right outside your door. Excellent location. If you keep your doors closed at night - noise is not an issue and the air conditioning worked perfectly. The staff were very polite and friendly - they genuinely cared. We loved our stay here. I would have no hestiation staying at this hotel again. If you know Italy this is exactly how the 3 stars properties are. Just to note if you have trouble walking - there are approx 10 fairly steep steps to walk up to the hotel enterance - but that's Italy!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Niagara Falls, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

This hotel is in need of repair very old, part of the ceiling fell out in the hall while we were asleep. I heard nothing but hubby sure did. The breakfast was okay, the staff served coffee etc the food was buffet. This was a great base for us as we wanted to visit Ravello, Positano and Amalfi in 3 days and we did it. Sita buses are right out front as well as the beach. 2 beds an umbrella and table on the beach for La Fontana guests is 10 euros. Not too bad in price. No porter to help carry the luggage up to the main level, but a nice young man helped us and the nice woman helped as well.

Room Tip: book in advance if you have a preference
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
London UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The location of this hotel was absolutely perfect. Right on the seafront, a few steps from the buses & ferries, and also in the heart of the town square opposite the cathedral. Fontana is a clean, characterful, quite basic, family run hotel and the people running it were friendly, kind and helpful. I felt welcome right through making booking arrangements to departure.

The hotel doesn't have many facilities, but who needs them with the beach in front, town square out back, and restaurants and cafes all around! There is an elevator that also goes down to the restaurant below. One restaurant below seved truly delicious meals with good wine and I enjoyed having dinner outside on the busling town square, steps from my hotel.

I specially booked my single balcony room after seeing it on TripAdvisor. So I knew in advance it was a tiny, quite basic, and overlooked the beach and the coastal part of Amalfi. I enjoyed being able to see Amalfi and watch the world go by even from my room (I had my a firework display outside my balcony one night!). When the doors/shutters were closed the noise from outside was also shut out.

I wasn't too keen on the tiny en-suite bathroom as it had no external window (I couldn't see if the extractor fan was working) and the shower spilled over onto the bathroom floor so the bathroom smelled a bit damp after a couple of days - though not so much it bothered me through in the bedroom. Breakfast was to my mind a bit uninspiring with lots of cakes (I don't like sweet things) as well as a few basic savouries and coffee.

For price, location and character this hotel was quite a bargain. It made my stay in Amalfi perfect and I would stay there again. If I was staying for a few days I'd probably be happy in the same little balcony room. However if I was staying any longer and, it were affordable, I would probably go for a bigger room with better bathroom. However most solo travellers will appreciate the rarity of having a single room, with beach view balcony, in the best part of town, at an affordable price - a fact not to be overlooked!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

A middling hotel, average in every sense of the word, including an average breakfast, but very conveniently located in the main square of town, and across the street from the SITA bus terminus. Prices are not high for Amalfi, but you get what you pay for. The primary downside is the noise (which continues well into the night), notwithstanding double-glazed windows. If you're hard of hearing, this is one of the best choices in its price range in central Amalfi. Were it not for the noise, I would be a return visitor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

As a solo traveller I often get the smallest room they have. I think the Italians brought new meaning to small. I am a small person, but even I had to turn sideways to get through a portion. I can say though that the view laying in bed was great looking out at the pier. The room was kept very neat, clean and tidy daily which is key for me. The location can't be beat, one side is the drop off point for taxi or bus, the other side is the main piazza. The front desk gal is very helpfull and seemed to know more information than I needed, but I was glad to have all the help. She even kept me updated for my lost luggage.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Fontana? Share your experiences!