“Excellent location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #26 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
London UK
“Excellent location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

The location of this hotel was absolutely perfect. Right on the seafront, a few steps from the buses & ferries, and also in the heart of the town square opposite the cathedral. Fontana is a clean, characterful, quite basic, family run hotel and the people running it were friendly, kind and helpful. I felt welcome right through making booking arrangements to departure.

The hotel doesn't have many facilities, but who needs them with the beach in front, town square out back, and restaurants and cafes all around! There is an elevator that also goes down to the restaurant below. One restaurant below seved truly delicious meals with good wine and I enjoyed having dinner outside on the busling town square, steps from my hotel.

I specially booked my single balcony room after seeing it on TripAdvisor. So I knew in advance it was a tiny, quite basic, and overlooked the beach and the coastal part of Amalfi. I enjoyed being able to see Amalfi and watch the world go by even from my room (I had my a firework display outside my balcony one night!). When the doors/shutters were closed the noise from outside was also shut out.

I wasn't too keen on the tiny en-suite bathroom as it had no external window (I couldn't see if the extractor fan was working) and the shower spilled over onto the bathroom floor so the bathroom smelled a bit damp after a couple of days - though not so much it bothered me through in the bedroom. Breakfast was to my mind a bit uninspiring with lots of cakes (I don't like sweet things) as well as a few basic savouries and coffee.

For price, location and character this hotel was quite a bargain. It made my stay in Amalfi perfect and I would stay there again. If I was staying for a few days I'd probably be happy in the same little balcony room. However if I was staying any longer and, it were affordable, I would probably go for a bigger room with better bathroom. However most solo travellers will appreciate the rarity of having a single room, with beach view balcony, in the best part of town, at an affordable price - a fact not to be overlooked!

• Stayed June 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Los Angeles, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

A middling hotel, average in every sense of the word, including an average breakfast, but very conveniently located in the main square of town, and across the street from the SITA bus terminus. Prices are not high for Amalfi, but you get what you pay for. The primary downside is the noise (which continues well into the night), notwithstanding double-glazed windows. If you're hard of hearing, this is one of the best choices in its price range in central Amalfi. Were it not for the noise, I would be a return visitor.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled solo
Seattle, Washington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

As a solo traveller I often get the smallest room they have. I think the Italians brought new meaning to small. I am a small person, but even I had to turn sideways to get through a portion. I can say though that the view laying in bed was great looking out at the pier. The room was kept very neat, clean and tidy daily which is key for me. The location can't be beat, one side is the drop off point for taxi or bus, the other side is the main piazza. The front desk gal is very helpfull and seemed to know more information than I needed, but I was glad to have all the help. She even kept me updated for my lost luggage.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 4, 2011

Good hotel for a 3-star rating. Not the most elegant or luxurious, but definitely a decent choice. Very cosy, home-like atmosphere. Nothing to complain about. Central location is unbeatable, view from the room was fantastic, just over the main square. Staff was kind and helpful. Lovely breakfast.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
PA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2011

While this was rated as a four star, it was certainly NOT. Room was uncomfortable, shower was dirty and small, not pleasant.............

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Hong Kong, China
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2011

Staff were friendly and offered information about things to do. Simple but good breakfast. Good thing about visiting in winter is that you tend to get seaview rooms. Although church bells could be heard, the location was very convenient, with good transport via SITA buses to other adjacent areas like Positano, Atriani, Minori or Ravello. The only thing is that for those with heavy luggage, you need to carry them up a flight of stairs (about 15-20 steps) before you reach the lobby. Also, the entrance to the hotel is a restricted area so it takes a 2-minute walk to cross a road to reach it.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Hotel Fontana is fantastic value for money, my room was tiny but with such a great location and view who would care!! Luana the lovely receptionist was so helpful and knowledgeable and was always only too willing to assist, with tours, maps, local info etc. The breakfasts were great, the location was fantastic, only a short walk to get the ferrries to Capri, Positano or the buses and the tabacchi was on the corner for purchasing bus tickets. I was on my own and I was happy to stroll around Amalfi at night to choose a restaurant in which to dine or to get a gelato or a glass of wine and I felt completely at ease. Great hotel, great location and I would stay there again. I highly recommend Hotel Fontana.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Fontana? Share your experiences!