“Family run hotel with excellent service” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel L'Antico Convitto
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Salita dei Curiali 4, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Singapore
“Family run hotel with excellent service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2012

This is the best hotel I have stayed in on my trip to Rome, Sorrento, Capri and the Amalfi Coast.

The hotel is centrally located within 5 minutes walking distance from the bus station, just off the main street Via Pietro Capuano. With 2 heavy luggages, it was a blessing that there is NO stairs to climb to reach the hotel.

I have travelled frequently on business and have stayed at many 5 stars hotel but nothing beats the good service and attention to details showed by the staff of L'Antico Convitto Hotel:

* Weeks prior to my arrival, Ms Antonella emailed me with 2 good maps of the Amalfi Coast and Amalfi town. 3 days before my arrival, she followed up with another mail offering help should I have difficulties in getting to the hotel.

* Coming from Singapore, I needed information on the SITA bus schedule and the ferry schedule to Capri (given it is winter season and the schedule could be different). Ms Antonella emailed me the latest and current version of both bus and ferry schedule. This helps greatly with my travel planning.

* The owners, Ms Gabriella and Mr Rino, were equally helpful. Knowing I have erroneously bought 2 full day SITA bus ticket which I didnt use, Rino offered to buy it back from me.

The rooms in L'Antico Convitto were big, new, and well furnished. Wifi is free and has good signal.

The breakfast has variety and the waiter service was prompt and attentive.

All in, it was a memorable stay and good value for money. I would definitely recommend it to anyone coming to the seaside town of Amalfi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

My wife, 18month old daughter and I stayed here for a week in September and couldn't have found a better hotel. The rooms are beautiful and well appointed (ours had a vaulted ceiling),spacious enough for a cot (provided) plus baby clutter. The double glazed windows insulate the room completely from street noise when closed and the AC works well. The hotel staff are all extremely friendly and helpful and speak fluent English and went out of thier way to assist us with ferry bookings and timings. WiFi is free and fast. The breakfast is expansive with a good range of cereals, pastry fruit and yoghurt with fresh coffee. I would recommend taking it up to the rooftop to enjoy the view.

Logistics: we parked at the big underground carpark. Note, make sure you ask the guy in duty there for the special rate as you are staying at one of the hotels - a significant cost difference! Also if parking there only the driver can park the car, passengers aren't allowed past the entrance gates so be ready. I would advise using the hotels free porter service so call ahead to arrange it. The hotel is easy to find, walking up the main street in the town just look for black and white signposts on your right at the entrance to each alley for hotel names. This hotel has a convenience store in the same alley which is very handy. This hotel, Shannon house and one other share the same building. Notably this hotel owns the front part of the roof which overlooks the town and the sea.

Minor issue: the rooftop flower pots while nice attract wasps which can be an issue at breakfast.

Would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed September 2012
Aus
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This is my second stay at this hotel, the rooms are very clean however this time around my room was much smaller then the one I had previously. Having said that , the best thing about this hotel is the staff, they are wonderful, informative and very polite. Location wise you can not get any better, very central and only a few steps from the harbour.There is also a wonderful little supermarket in the same lane that has amazing deli food at the back.The hotel also offers free baggage service to and from the taxi stand near the harbour.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

The hotel staff are all helpful to give me information for Amalfi before staying.
One of Staff Antonella was so helpful and reliable. Also all staff are kind and nice.
I inquired her a lot of the information before my trip, every time she answered perfectly.
You can not expect this kind help in even 5 star hotels.
Room is not luxury but clean as looks new. Amenities are basic as 3 star hotel.
Location is not face to sea, but you can see it from their terrace, where you can have breakfast.
Even you can see Duomo’s façade from there.
Near from Duomo and next to supermarket. Not far from bus stop.
Selection of breakfast is good enough as typical Italian. I am sorry fruits are not so fresh (may be because of season..)
If you are looking for confortable and reasonable hotel in Amalfi, I could say this hotel is really worth and you will have good memory of Amalfi.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Winchester England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012 via mobile

Step out of the door and you're in the Main Street and just a few steps from the Duomo with the seafront just a few yards further. A great choice of restaurants within a 5 minute walk. A perfect location for exploring both Amalfi itself and coast.

The staff were efficient, friendly and helpful and spoke good English - always ready to provide recommendations for both restaurants and site seeing.

Our room was spacious, clean quiet and had a lovely view across the rooftops to the cathedral and the sea. The bathroom was a good size with an efficient shower.

The breakfast buffer offered a good choice of fresh food with excellent coffee. There was a great rooftop terrace where I guess breakfast could be taken in the warmer months.

An excellent small hotel. A great base from which to make the most of a holiday in Amalfi.

Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

I stay there 2 nights and had a room in the 1st flor which was noisy room. The decoration is nice and the staff are doing their best to serve you. Breakfast is not more than average and could be much better. Why to serve cold fried egg ??

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Gabriella_Laudano, Proprietario at Hotel L'Antico Convitto, responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Dear Sir,
Thank you very mutch for Your review.
The rooms on the first floor overlooking the main street, so they are exposed to the city noise. However, all rooms are equipped with sound-insulating windows. So, just close the window to absorb street noise .
I'm very sorry that you're not quite happy with the breakfast; we consider the breakfast time an important aspect of Your stay, so we worked so hard to make it enjoyable and appreciated. Many people have considered our breakfast much better than average. Opinions are evidently very subjective, so I will just list the products we propose on the buffet.
So, we offer croissants, donuts, biscuits, sfogliatelle, fresh pastries, cakes, bread (white and brown), 3 types of cereals, butter, jam, chocolate, peaches in syrup , plums, fresh fruit, yogurt, salami, ham, wurstel, at least 3 types of cheese (mild cheese, emmental, goat cheese with pistachios or rocket), boiled eggs and fried, rustic pie, we also serve 10 different types of Twinings tea, coffee, cappuccino, chocolate and so on.
Finally, eggs are cooked in the morning at 7:00, so it is possible that after a while to cool down. Our staff is wonderful and very helpful, so, if you had asked a hot egg, they would have cooked for you with a smile.
Kind regards,
Gabriella
L'Antico Convitto Hotel***
Ottawa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

My husband and I spent ten days in this beautiful hotel. We were treated with kindness and respect - almost like family. There was always a greeting and a smile from the young lady at the desk (I thought her name was Daniella, but it might be Gabriella...). She gave us excellent advice on what activities to do, where to eat, the bus system, anything we needed. Breakfast was varied enough and we could have a choice of different types of coffee or tea. Our room was spacious and exceptionally clean. The shower was the modern type that had "jets". Very cool. The hotel was quiet at night and we had a lovely view of the local cathedral from our window. When we left, the sweet young lady (Gabriella?) gave us a bottle of limoncello with a bow on it. That was very thoughtful and VERY MUCH APPRECIATED. Thank you for being so kind to us.

Room Tip: This is a small intimate hotel. There are apartment rooms that are the same price as single (superi...