“Lacking hospitality” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #18 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Ft Collins, Colorado
“Lacking hospitality”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2009

Upon arrival we were quoted a price of 80 euro with free parking and breakfast. When asked for a price without breakfast we were told 70 euro. The young girl who was helping us had to verify the information she gave us with an older lady who appeared to be the manager. After her inquiry we were told it would be 80 euro with no breakfast. We stayed two nights and enjoyed the room. The first night I asked for hot water to make tea in our room and was told the machine was not working. The bar upstairs was not open. The second morning I went up to the breakfast room and requested hot water for tea. When we were departing the manager wanted to charge 5 euro for two teas. We advised that we had our own tea and all we got was hot water. She then wanted to charge us for sugar. We advised that we used our own sweetener and asked her if she wanted the sugar back. The manager appeared irritated.
This hotel is a nice place but the manager seems like she is lacking in charm and hospitality.

Stayed January 2009

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2008

This was one of the highlights of our trip. The rooms were a good size, and the location couldn't have been better. Absolutely a gem. We'll be back for sure!

• Stayed August 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2008

Booked the hotel through the local tourist office, was offered the choice between a single for 60 Euro or a double with single occupancy for 75 Euros. Took the latter. The room was small (there would have been no room for two suitcases, desk with only one chair - in fact a single with a comfortable king size bed). Large clean bath, clean room, tiled floor. Window overlooking a small courtyard, not much noise from the outside, but from the elevator - so earplugs in the morning (always a good idea in Italy). Breakfast room on the top floor, terrace with a view. Breakfast ok (if only accompanied by one hot drink, as the signs said - try the pasticcheria Andrea Panza for better pastry and coffee). Was told that they preferred cash payment 'if possible' while checking in.
If I had read the reviews here, I would have avoided the hotel, but apart from the noise from the elevator, room and hotel were ok and up to standard, the location is perfect. No internet in the room, though.

• Stayed October 2006, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Sydney
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2008

This is a pretty clean hotel which could not have a better location right in the centre of town. But unfortunately, while some of the staff were quite pleasant (including two women on the front desk, and the men in the garage), some were incredibly rude.

A pregnant woman who seemed to be in charge couldn't have been more nasty in our every interaction with her. The worst was that we had booked for one night, but when we went to check out, she accused of lying and said that we had booked for two nights. And because of this we could not get our car out of the garage until four hours later! Luckily the men in the garage shuffled us away from her and got our car out in a few minutes.

Also this is one of those places that has a row of switches to the air conditioners at the front desk and which turn them off at night (leaving you to wake up in a sweat in the middle of the night!) We had previously gotten agreement that ours could stay on, but when we came back at around 11pm it was switched off. When we spoke to the man there in the evening, he said we had to pay 10 euros to keep it on at night! After a few sharp words he *very* grudgingly turned it on.

What should be a good stay in a decent, central hotel was ruined by a few nasty staff members.

• Stayed September 2008
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Edmonton
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2008

Wow... Venchenzo the night porter was so good to us. He really cares about the people that stay at the Hotel. He would always have a big smile and was happy. He would always ask us if we needed anything for the children.
On the outher hand the woman who owns the hotel was crazy. We paid for a family room with 4 beds with Expedia and when we arrived at the Hotel she had a room with one bed for us! I had even call the Hotel two times to let them know we had two children with us. Both times I called she said no problem I have your booking. I was worried because the paperwork that was sent to me said family room 2 adults , base price for 4 adults with breakfast.. When I called Expedia they said no worries you paid for a family room and the base price is for 4 adults,4 beds with breakfast. You are good to go.
Well when we arrived there it was a diffrent story!!... We had just had a long day and she was making it even longer. She was yelling and telling us that every room in her hotel was a family room??? (Our children started crying because they needded to eat and go to bed.) I told her to call Expedia...She said she wouldn"t call them because it was to late in the USA. I told her they were 24 hours and she still said no. We spent the first night in the small room where we could hardly get all our bags in, and we had to sleep in one bed. The next day she gave us a new room and it was perfect. (lots of room) but she made us feel like she was doing us a favor.
If it wasn't for the big warm man named Venchenzo helping us to our room that night and telling us that everything was going to be o.k. just get the babys washed , come down to see him and he would send us some place good to eat and fast. I think I would have cryed.
We did enjoy Amalfi and this was a great location and clean.

Stayed June 2008
UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2008

Dissappointing experience with this hotel but I will stick to the facts. My trip was from 26 (Thur) checking out 29 (Sun) June 2008. I booked this on 25 (Wed) June night:

1. Clean room though very small, window to a communal verandah used by staff to dry clothing etc. Airconditioning units where also there therefore very noisy especially at night. Airconditioning unit for room did not work and bath towels where very small so bring your own;

2. I had a 10:30 flight from Naples Sunday morning. Staff on Friday morning said to me the first bus direct to Naples was at 5:30. This was not the case (7:00 and indirect with additional connection required). Had I not double checked this with the bus company I would have lost my return flight. Do not rely on hotel for bus timings as staff are not equally knowledgeable on this;

3. Friday afternoon I spoke to the receptionist and indicated that as I did not want to risk loosing my flight I would need to check out on Saturday. No problems indicated at that point. Friday night an experienced receptionist indicated that this was the first he heard that I was checking out on Saturday (the afternoon receptionist likely did not communicate this fact) and I could only settle the bill with the owner on Saturday morning (she arrived at 8:15). He also indicated that a Pompei trip (booked through hotel) which left at 8:00 would wait. The next day the owner charged me for the full stay to Sunday (due to late notification) and I missed the Pompei bus tour (no refund given).

4. The location was very good and central in Almalfi.

• Liked — Its central location in Almalfi
  • Disliked — See detailed feedback
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Flaine
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2008

Having read the reviews this was not our first choice and rightly so. Notices everywhere about what you can not do and unpleasant staff who also confidently give you the wrong information.

Room itself good and clean. A bit noisy but just from italians shouting in street and neighbouring houses - on Saturday morning it was much quieter.

Garden rooms mentioned by a few did look nice.

• Liked — room
  • Disliked — everything else
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Hotel Amalfi? Share your experiences!