“Great location, price, people, place!” 5 of 5 stars

A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel
Piazza Umberto I, 5-6 | Amalfi, Campania, Italy, 84010 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #27 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, price, people, place!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013

Could not rate A' Scalinatella highly enough.

We were greeted by brothers Gabriele and Filippo who were welcoming, friendly and extremely helpful. We had a lovely spacious room with a balcony overlooking the square, which was such a bonus. All the facilities in the room were great, including a comfy bed, a decent shower and fresh towels supplied during our stay. Breakfast was a brilliant way to start the day, especially the excellent coffee served with a smile! Such a good mix of people staying at A' Scalinatella, from backpackers, couples and general holiday makers.

Atrani itself offers an array of charming people, stunning buildings and views. Being in such a superb location, Atrani gives you a real authentic Italian experience, with a two minute walk to the beach, direct access to buses and a vast selection of restaurants and bars to choose from, and Amalfi town only being a 10 minute walk away.

We would definitely recommend A' Scalinatella, as it really is such great value for money and for anyone who wants a taste of the Amalfi Coast without the price tag.

Room Tip: rooms overlooking the Piazza is such a bonus
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

88 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Quezon City, Philippines
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hostel is located at the town right beside Amalfi called Atrani.

Perfect for budget travelers, backpackers, and people who are generally avoiding the tourist crowds. It's only about a 10-minute walk to the Amalfi, and other quiet, less crowded beaches nearby such as Castiglione beach. It's a bus ride away from the more popular places like Positano as well.

Stayed for 6 nights. Everyone at the Piazza Umberto square right in front of the hostel were so nice and fun to hang out with! I'd recommend this place to budget travelers looking for a relaxing break.

Room Tip: Ask for rooms with the balconies that are closer to the square (versus the ones located much higher...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 14, 2013

This place was a gem in a great location, literally 15 metres from the beach. Great budget price for the location, decent breakfast with very friendly service. The guys who run this place are very friendly and helpful, we booked for a dorm room and when we arrived they 'upgraded' us to a private room for no extra cost. Simple rooms, no worries. I would also like to mention the cafe across the courtyard, who were awesome!

To get here just take the bus to Amalfi and either walk the coast line for 10 -15 mins or find the walkway cut into the mountain till you get to Atrani. Its in the first square opposite the beach.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Florence, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is the 4th time I come back to this hostel! In my opinion is the best cheap accomodation you can find in the Amalfi Coast! Only 200 mt from Amalfi but less touristy. You can really get the feeling you are living in a "real place". The rooms (very clean) are spread out arount the village, up and down the stairs. They serve you a big breakfast and the owners are super nice! They have a website that I would raccomand to visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Perth, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I loved my stay at A'Scalinatella! Atrani is a gorgeous little town that has very few tourists so makes it a very relaxing and homely place to stay. The bonus is it's only a 10 minute walk to Amalfi. The owners are lovely and on my arrival I was upgraded to a twin share room (booked a six bed dorm) which was a lovely surprise! Rooms were fine, breakfast was perfect and loved the little smiley face on top of the Cappuccino. Would recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit the Amalfi coast but doesn't want to stay in a very 'touristy' place. Hopefully I'll be back one day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I sent an email the day before asking for a dorm. I wrote:
"And let me know if you have a space in the dorm for me."
Four hours before I arrived I got this email: "we have availability no problem."
When I got there, I was told the dorm was full. I wanted the dorm because I was trying to find others to hike "Via degli Incanti".
In the morning at breakfast he asked if I was staying and he could leave me in the single for below a dorm price- 20 euros. I said I rather be in the dorm because I was looking for other people to hike with. I said I wanted to talk to some of the people at breakfast. He said the dorm was full of students and they left early this morning without breakfast- strange. I then asked to see the dorm and was told not until 10 because it was being cleaned at that moment. I knew where the dorm was and went there to confirm. It was empty. I left as I do not like being cheated.

Room Tip: I would call before you arrive and negotiate a price for a room.
Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I decided to head to the Amalfi coast on a day that the public transportation employees decided to hold a strike. Unable to make it all the way to my destination, I got stuck in Amalfi (not so terrible, huh?) and thank goodness someone referred me to A'Scalinatella. Filippo was so wonderful to interrupt his dinner to meet me not once, but twice (so i could go back and check on the bus again) and get me settled for the night. I stayed in the dorm. 4 beds, 1 bathroom with shower, very basic but clean and certainly all I needed. The breakfast was lovely; breads, spreads, juice and coffee. Filippo and his brother Gabriele, who donned my cappuccino with a smiley face, are both so friendly and helpful. Amalfi is just a few minutes walk, and Atrani itself is really pretty. Plus, you won't find a better price in the area. I would absolutely recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Been to A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!