“Perfect for backpackers and low budget travellers!” 4 of 5 stars

A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel
Piazza Umberto I, 5-6 | Amalfi, Campania, Italy, 84010 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #23 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Florence, Italy
“Perfect for backpackers and low budget travellers!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2013

This is the 4th time I come back to this hostel! In my opinion is the best cheap accomodation you can find in the Amalfi Coast! Only 200 mt from Amalfi but less touristy. You can really get the feeling you are living in a "real place". The rooms (very clean) are spread out arount the village, up and down the stairs. They serve you a big breakfast and the owners are super nice! They have a website that I would raccomand to visit!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Perth, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I loved my stay at A'Scalinatella! Atrani is a gorgeous little town that has very few tourists so makes it a very relaxing and homely place to stay. The bonus is it's only a 10 minute walk to Amalfi. The owners are lovely and on my arrival I was upgraded to a twin share room (booked a six bed dorm) which was a lovely surprise! Rooms were fine, breakfast was perfect and loved the little smiley face on top of the Cappuccino. Would recommend this place to anyone who wants to visit the Amalfi coast but doesn't want to stay in a very 'touristy' place. Hopefully I'll be back one day!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
Tucson, Arizona
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I sent an email the day before asking for a dorm. I wrote:
"And let me know if you have a space in the dorm for me."
Four hours before I arrived I got this email: "we have availability no problem."
When I got there, I was told the dorm was full. I wanted the dorm because I was trying to find others to hike "Via degli Incanti".
In the morning at breakfast he asked if I was staying and he could leave me in the single for below a dorm price- 20 euros. I said I rather be in the dorm because I was looking for other people to hike with. I said I wanted to talk to some of the people at breakfast. He said the dorm was full of students and they left early this morning without breakfast- strange. I then asked to see the dorm and was told not until 10 because it was being cleaned at that moment. I knew where the dorm was and went there to confirm. It was empty. I left as I do not like being cheated.

Room Tip: I would call before you arrive and negotiate a price for a room.
Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2012

I decided to head to the Amalfi coast on a day that the public transportation employees decided to hold a strike. Unable to make it all the way to my destination, I got stuck in Amalfi (not so terrible, huh?) and thank goodness someone referred me to A'Scalinatella. Filippo was so wonderful to interrupt his dinner to meet me not once, but twice (so i could go back and check on the bus again) and get me settled for the night. I stayed in the dorm. 4 beds, 1 bathroom with shower, very basic but clean and certainly all I needed. The breakfast was lovely; breads, spreads, juice and coffee. Filippo and his brother Gabriele, who donned my cappuccino with a smiley face, are both so friendly and helpful. Amalfi is just a few minutes walk, and Atrani itself is really pretty. Plus, you won't find a better price in the area. I would absolutely recommend staying here!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

On arrival in tiny Atrani (smallest village in Italy because of the tiny shelf of rock it clings to) I met a Norwegian couple who said they chose to stay here every year. I could soon see why. Only 10 mins walk from Amalfi, yet an absolute haven of peace away from the hordes of tourists there (and in Positano and Ravello.) I breathed a sigh of relief each time I took the (spectacular) walk around there from Amalfi. Atrani is a real village not a tourist trap. An evening in the square might include a local family birthday party at a nearby table, or a meal at Osteria Luisella with warm hospitality and delicious fresh produce from their own farm. And spread around this village there is a network of rooms and apartments under the care of hosts Filippo and Gabriele. Yes the rooms are sometimes quirky and have character - this is unique (and in my experience spotlessly clean) accommodation in a unique place. In my 4 days there I actually came to worry about Gabriele's health because he worked so hard at the cleaning and had such high standards for it! And Filippo seemed to genuinely care about his guests - which these days is pretty rare. Can't imagine staying anywhere else on the Amalfi Coast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Since I discovered Atrani in 2008, I have made it a point to visit every summer since then. It has become my Italian home. And the owners of A'Scalinatella, Filippo and Gabriele, feel like family as they greet me each year with such warm enthusiasm.
I have stayed in both the hostel rooms and the apartments, and both have suited just fine. It surprises me to read bad comments such as 'there is only wifi in the breakfast room', SO WHAT!, or 'the building is a bit old', this ain't a fancy NYC hotel baby, this is Atrani, and the 'old' part adds to the village's undeniable charm. And if the shower floor is wet, and that's what you have to complain about, then life is pretty sweet if you ask me!
I love Atrani to the moon and back, and Filippo and Gabriele are always nearby to make sure my stay is perfect. So much so, that when I dropped my purse this past summer, and frantically ran around Atrani and Amalfi searching for it, I could not believe the kindness of Filippo, who after locating it from someone that handed it in, then drove back to A'Scalinatella at midnight to give it to me. Bless!
No doubt I will be back in Atrani next year, already counting down the days :o)

Room Tip: Ask for a room near to reception, if you are in the hostel, as the walls in some other rooms don'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you're a fan of bed bugs, lost bookings, constant room changes into ever smaller, dirtier rooms with charmingly defensive owners, then this is the place for you.

No? Not into that? Didn't think so. At €60 a night nor were we. Owners were 'friendly', as previous reviewers have suggested, if you didn't make a fuss.

On arrival we were told that the booking we'd made 2 months ago didn't exist. Our passports were then taken from us and were only returned to us on paying in advance for the full week we'd planned to spend there, (a practice other guests there told us they hadn't faced, they were given back their passports immediately without advance payment of any sort).

We were ushered into a tiny dank, double room with walls thin as paper. On complaining (other guests had told us they'd booked the day they arrived and got large rooms overlooking the piazza for the same price) we were taken to a slightly larger room which bore the signs of the previous guests in the form of wet hair stuck to the shower wall and the still damp wet room floor. Loose hair elsewhere on the tiled floor of the room. A couple of nights later after finding a bed bug crawling on our sheets, and a defensive owner insisting his hostel was clean and that this dead creature in my hands was just a fly, we were taken to another room, our third one. A matter of hours later another bed bug crawled on to my friend's pillow. Our fourth room didn't provide any definite signs of bed bugs, but that was it - we asked for our money back in cash and luckily managed to get one of our nights for free. We ran away to Amalfi proper and managed to get a clean! room at the charming Lidomare Hotel.

Back home now I'm considering going through bed bug treatment in our flat. These are potentially very costly problems not restricted to your dank and dirty hotel rooms.

The two star rating of this review is for giving us our money back and a free night.

So... if you're into that sort of thing - it's a treat!

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Been to A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!