“So glad I found this place” 4 of 5 stars

A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel
Piazza Umberto I, 5-6 | Amalfi, Campania, Italy, 84010 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #21 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Sydney
“So glad I found this place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

On arrival in tiny Atrani (smallest village in Italy because of the tiny shelf of rock it clings to) I met a Norwegian couple who said they chose to stay here every year. I could soon see why. Only 10 mins walk from Amalfi, yet an absolute haven of peace away from the hordes of tourists there (and in Positano and Ravello.) I breathed a sigh of relief each time I took the (spectacular) walk around there from Amalfi. Atrani is a real village not a tourist trap. An evening in the square might include a local family birthday party at a nearby table, or a meal at Osteria Luisella with warm hospitality and delicious fresh produce from their own farm. And spread around this village there is a network of rooms and apartments under the care of hosts Filippo and Gabriele. Yes the rooms are sometimes quirky and have character - this is unique (and in my experience spotlessly clean) accommodation in a unique place. In my 4 days there I actually came to worry about Gabriele's health because he worked so hard at the cleaning and had such high standards for it! And Filippo seemed to genuinely care about his guests - which these days is pretty rare. Can't imagine staying anywhere else on the Amalfi Coast.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2012

Since I discovered Atrani in 2008, I have made it a point to visit every summer since then. It has become my Italian home. And the owners of A'Scalinatella, Filippo and Gabriele, feel like family as they greet me each year with such warm enthusiasm.
I have stayed in both the hostel rooms and the apartments, and both have suited just fine. It surprises me to read bad comments such as 'there is only wifi in the breakfast room', SO WHAT!, or 'the building is a bit old', this ain't a fancy NYC hotel baby, this is Atrani, and the 'old' part adds to the village's undeniable charm. And if the shower floor is wet, and that's what you have to complain about, then life is pretty sweet if you ask me!
I love Atrani to the moon and back, and Filippo and Gabriele are always nearby to make sure my stay is perfect. So much so, that when I dropped my purse this past summer, and frantically ran around Atrani and Amalfi searching for it, I could not believe the kindness of Filippo, who after locating it from someone that handed it in, then drove back to A'Scalinatella at midnight to give it to me. Bless!
No doubt I will be back in Atrani next year, already counting down the days :o)

Room Tip: Ask for a room near to reception, if you are in the hostel, as the walls in some other rooms don'...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2012

If you're a fan of bed bugs, lost bookings, constant room changes into ever smaller, dirtier rooms with charmingly defensive owners, then this is the place for you.

No? Not into that? Didn't think so. At €60 a night nor were we. Owners were 'friendly', as previous reviewers have suggested, if you didn't make a fuss.

On arrival we were told that the booking we'd made 2 months ago didn't exist. Our passports were then taken from us and were only returned to us on paying in advance for the full week we'd planned to spend there, (a practice other guests there told us they hadn't faced, they were given back their passports immediately without advance payment of any sort).

We were ushered into a tiny dank, double room with walls thin as paper. On complaining (other guests had told us they'd booked the day they arrived and got large rooms overlooking the piazza for the same price) we were taken to a slightly larger room which bore the signs of the previous guests in the form of wet hair stuck to the shower wall and the still damp wet room floor. Loose hair elsewhere on the tiled floor of the room. A couple of nights later after finding a bed bug crawling on our sheets, and a defensive owner insisting his hostel was clean and that this dead creature in my hands was just a fly, we were taken to another room, our third one. A matter of hours later another bed bug crawled on to my friend's pillow. Our fourth room didn't provide any definite signs of bed bugs, but that was it - we asked for our money back in cash and luckily managed to get one of our nights for free. We ran away to Amalfi proper and managed to get a clean! room at the charming Lidomare Hotel.

Back home now I'm considering going through bed bug treatment in our flat. These are potentially very costly problems not restricted to your dank and dirty hotel rooms.

The two star rating of this review is for giving us our money back and a free night.

So... if you're into that sort of thing - it's a treat!

Room Tip: Avoid this place at all costs.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Toronto, ON
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

This hotel is good for budget conscious travellers who want to relax in the small town of Atrani. The location is great and the brothers who run the hotel were very friendly and helpful. That said, do not come with high expectations for the actual room. We stayed in a dorm, which was clean but old and the bathroom was not up to par. See below for further details.

Pros:
• Very affordable for travellers with a budget
• The room and linen was clean, although the building was pretty old and somewhat run down
• The brothers who run the hostel were extremely friendly and helpful
• Breakfast was served in a common area and included a hot beverage, OJ and croissants
• The location was great for accessing both Atrani and Amalfi (Amalfi was only a 10min walk away)
• We loved the town of Atrani, which is very quiet and relaxing with a beautiful beach (located just minutes from the hotel)

Cons:
• The biggest problem with this hostel was the fact that the shower was not separated from the rest of the bathroom so whenever someone took a shower the floor and toilet got all wet
• Although free wifi is available, it is only available in the breakfast area, which means you can’t access it in the afternoon unless you sit outside the breakfast room (which is closed after 11am) and then the speed is pretty slow

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Madrid, Madrid, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

The room we stayed in was great: a nice double room, really close to Atrani's wonderful main piazza with a little balcony. Breakfast was included and the owners were helpful and friendly. Rooms did seem to vary a lot in quality. Ours was fantastic but the twin rooms seemed a bit small for the same price. Comparing it with other places in Italy in August, it was pretty good value.

Room Tip: Doubles seem much better than twins for the same price.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The staff are terrific. Very friendly, they made us feel especially welcome at breakfast when they would entertain our seven-month-old son so that my husband and I could enjoy breakfast together -- we're not sure if A'Scalinatella should be reviewed as an accommodation or a baby-sitting service!

Everything is expensive on the Almafi Coast, so the prices at A'Scalinatella are okay, especially given the fantastic location. The rooms are spacious and the beds are comfortable enough, but the washrooms are below par. Musty and damp, the bathrooms were more of an encouragement to head to the beach.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012 via mobile

My husband stayed at Ascalinatella 6 years ago but Filipo remembered him, so arriving in Atrani felt very warm and welcoming. We had a great room with our own bathroom, and loved how close we were to the square (and Bar Birecto) and the beach. Every morning we had great conversations with Filipo at breakfast, and they looked after us so very well. We felt that our money was well spent here and we look forward to coming back!!

• Stayed July 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
Hotel Amalfi
Ostello Brikette
Ostello Brikette
#37 of 41 in Positano
3.5 of 5 stars 100 reviews

Been to A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!