“So Awesome!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 31 hotels in Amalfi
Corpus Christi, Texas
“So Awesome!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2011

Let me start by clearing up all the nonsense bad reviews about this place. Scalinatella is a really great place to stay.

First off, it's actually located in Atrani (which is a 5 minute walk from Amalfi) so it's away from the insane tourists, but is still so beautiful!

The front desk was a little tricky to find, but manageable. The owners are so nice! Gabriele was an absolute doll! He got us set up real quick and took us to the location of our room, which was down the street in a separate building. Gabriele was so sweet; he ran from our building town to his front desk (no easy task with all the stairs) three times to get us everything we needed. He was very accommodating.

Also, I read bad reviews about how the place makes you feel dirty and diseased and how the walls don't reach the ceiling. I think we must have stayed in a new building because the rooms were flawless. They were extremely clean and spacious. It offered fantastic views of the cliffs.

The place also provides laundry services and towels. The bathroom was a little irritating though because it would flood...but nothing too crazy.

Overall, very nice stay. Oh also, make sure you go to the cafe in the main square of Atrani, and see Luigi (the owner)...he's like the Fabio of Atrani.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends

82 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Adelaide, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

My sister and I stayed here for a few nights and would gladly have stayed alot longer! we weren't sure what to expect as we hadn't even heard of Atrani before but it is literally a 10 min walk along the busy but safe road. The Brothers who owned the hostel are so friendly and helpful and remembered our names. Because the town is quite small it has a lovely community feel and isn't swamped with tourists as most other towns on the Amalfi coast are!! Everywhere in the area we walked people somehow guessed we were staying there and were so friendly! We were served a simple but stunning breakfast by the brother we hadn't met yet who greeted us by our names. our only criticism is that the internet was available only in the restaurant and not our room, however it was nice to properly escape for a few days! I would advise anyone going to Amalfi to consider Atrani's A'SCALINATELLA if they are ok with simple but cute accommodation on a budget and if your big on friendly staff!

• Stayed April 2011
Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2010

I have recently returned from my third trip to Atrani with a group of 20 walkers - they always love Atrani and Scalinatella. We have the private rooms with en suite bathrooms. They are clean, comfortable and airy. Filipo and Gabriele are great hosts and I look forward to coming back every year. Our groups love being part of Atrani life with its great piazza with bars, cafes and restaurants. I recommend Le Palme.

• Stayed September 2009
Montreal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

We really enjoyed our time in Atrani. A' Scalinatella Hostel's is situated in a perfect spot just beside a nice restaurant (with cheap beer, cheap pasta and pizza and young crowd). The owner is super friendly and helpful. He opened a dorm for 3 people for my girlfriend and I, so that if the hostel was not completely full, we would have a private room for the price of a dorm. That's what happened, so we were pretty happy!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2009

12 August 2009

I have decided on very short notice to visit the Amalfi Coast in Italy. I am a South African lady who lives near Bergamo in Northern Italy. Thx to all the other readers in Trip Advisor, I got all the relevant info AND a place to stay in Amalfi Coast. Out of the Trip Advsisor, I found very good feedback for Atrani (5 minute walk from the bigger town Amalfi) which is a small town, quiet and with a good hostel run by two brothers. Everyone in Trip Advisor raved about the good breakfast although it was the standard briosh and cappuccino. So I left from Milan station with the printout in my hand - Atrani and Scalinatella Hostel: HERE I COME! Without a booking at the hostel as I prefer to see the surroundings before I stay in Atrani, I got a bed for 30 euros. I found EVERYTHING as the other readers described: good hostel, simple, cheap and clean. The breakfast is marvellous (the one brother make the brioshes himself!) and easy to Atrani by foot from Amalfi. Atrani is very small and little attraction but therefore, you have Amalfi and the next big stop the very beautiful POSITANO! The ferry takes about 15 minutes between Amalfi and Positano and you pay 6 euro per single trip. I took the bus from Amalfi to Sorrento (3,40 eu). From Sorrento I took the boat to Capri Island but you can go from Postinao as well. I had to sleep in Sorrento for my train connection back to Milan from Naples. Thx to Scalinatella hostel, I found a hostel next to the station in Sorrento for 18 euros and it is also walking distance from the town centre and port. The train from Sorrento to Napels takes about 45 minutes and I paid something like 4 euros single ticket.

I do attach a photo for the next bunch of travellers of the famous SCALINATELLA HOSTEL BREAKFAST in Atrani! Thank you Trip Advisor and your readers for the great reviews - for me this is better than the advice from Travel Agents!

Paris
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 13, 2009

It is a GREAT place ! It is close to everything, easy to go to and the staff is VERY VERY NICE!
The rooms are pretty and clean, so are the bathrooms.
Only 2 minutes walk to the beach. You can easily go for a walk, the landscapes are wonderful, gorgeous! It is very calm and peaceful.
There are many things to do around.
If you like nature and relax on the beach, you should go! You will fall in love with the place and would never want to go home!
We just loved that place!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2009

Good location, friendly owners, and having read the reviews I didn't expect much from this hostel but a couple of things almost sent me packing to a more expensive place.
The ensuite bathrooms I was shown were half-bath size with no shower stall. The whole bathroom WAS the shower stall - damp and cramped. We used a separate bathroom along the hall that had an actual shower.
The beds had only sheets, no blankets.
The cloth tacked over the glass bedroom door to shield us from the hallway light was so thin it was pointless. Just one more piece of evidence that the bare minimum of expense is used here.
I can't believe it cost 90 euros!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family

Been to A' Scalinatella Hostel and Hotel? Share your experiences!