“Go there at your own risk” 1 of 5 stars
Review of B&B Residence Caprice

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amalfi
B&B Residence Caprice
Via Matteo Camera 5, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #30 of 32 Amalfi B&B and Inns
Viterbo, Italy
“Go there at your own risk”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2009

My sister and I spend every year a week of our summer holidays with our parents (60+) and this time we booked at the Residence Caprice 2 rooms with seaview. And so was stated in the confirmation mail we received, along with a short description of the hotel reading that *all* rooms have seaview.
Upon arrival in Amalfi´s main square we called the hotel and were told to wait for a guy who would take the car to a nearby garage (additional 18€/day) and then to walk to the hotel "across the gate and 50 metres on the left".
In that square we waited 20 minutes in the scorching heat of an August noon and eventually set off with all our luggage towards a non-well-defined place. It took other 20 minutes and big luck to reach the hotel, as it is located in an old building with no external sign unless you step inside the main gate and, surprise surprise, read that the Caprice is at the last floor.
Old building means no elevator, and unlike other lucky fellow travelers, we were not offered the pulley service for our suitcases, which again we had to carry up the 3 flights of stairs.
Panting and sweating, we were shown the famous room 5 that was assigned to our parents, and the adjacent room "so that you are close to them" (not a big deal since we are all adults and do not need to sleep next door to one another).

Now, the room 5 was large and had this terrace with the incredible view we actually booked and expected, but the other room, let alone the seaview, had no view at all, ´cause it did not actually have even a window!
This is against the regulations in force: that room did not respect the parameters of aeration and illumination, hence it could not be used for hospitality.
We complained with the owner and were told that the residence was booked out and we could try to move to another room maybe the next days.
The next days the situation did not change and the only thing the owner offered was to discuss with a couple occupying a room with balcony and to offer them a bottle of wine in order to convince them to move to our “cave”. We felt sick for the poor couple and rejected the offer. Come to think of it, they would have never ever accepted the exchange…
Apart from the illumination and aeration, our room had a tiny bathroom, with no room to sit on the toilet unless askew, a bulb hanging broken from the mirror, unmatched towels, and wardrobes which were falling apart and could not be used due to the stale smell inside.
In the room 5 the situation was better but also there the bathroom needed repairing and renovation, not to mention the danger represented by the steps leading to the shower, once they get damp and slippery .
Due to connecting reasons, I had to stay an additional night and the owner very politely moved me to a single room, tiny but with a window and a tiny terrace. No wonder that also here the bathroom was very tiny, let´s say the shower was over the toilet and both on the same level of the floor with the obvious flood after showering. Besides, the flush was leaking, therefore I needed to turn on/off the water valve behind the toilet before using it.
The only highlight of the residence was the view from the terrace of room 5, the same view that can be enjoyed from the breakfast terrace: breathtaking! Unlike the breakfast that was basic.

The service was good and we got tips on where to go swimming and eating.
The location is convenient, close to the harbor and to the centre.

What to say, it looks like there is only one room worth to be in but it undergoes “overbooking”. In low season it could be that you get it from day 1, in high season possibly you need first to spend some days in another room, or if you are unlucky you can at least try and get a discount on the price.
Overall the place has a high potential but would need refurbishment.

Personally I do not like to be cheated, and if I book a seaview room, do not want to end up in a no-window room, even though I get a discount. Furthermore I would have appreciated a bit of honesty and the mention on the webpage or in the confirmation mail that there are 3 flights of stairs with steps higher than normal, so that elderly people are warned to look somewhere else, especially in the summertime.

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with family

21 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Galway
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed in this hotel while on Honeymoon. We booked a Deluxe Room with Terrace and Seaview. We were greeted by the very unfriendly owner of the hotel. We were shown our room. I was shocked. It is the worst room I have ever stayed in. The room just fitted the bed. It has a sloped ceiling - I found it hard to stand. The bathroom was tiny. When I asked where the toilet was - I was told to pull back the shower curtain - and yes - the toilet was in the shower. I explained that there must be a mistake and that I had booked a deluxe room. I was told that this was a deluxe room. I explained that I was on honeymoon and that I would really like another room. I was told that they were all full. The experience was terrible. The room was dirty. I could not stand up in the shower because of the sloping ceiling. The water ran all over the toilet. Please do not stay at this hotel. I would hate anyone else to experience it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Newyork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

It was very difficult to locate the hotel and when we did eventually, it was very difficult to get anywhere near the hotel. When we were able to finally make contact with the hotel, we had to wait for someone to come and meet us on the road where we were parked. (if you do not have a cellphone,it will be very difficult to make contact). The entrance door to the hotel is right on the main road with no parking space at the curb. The traffic on this road is such that you need to be very careful not to get run over when coming out of the hotel. This is especially dangerous for children. There is no elevator and you need to climb 52 steps (taller than regular steps) to get to the top floor where the hotel is. As there is no elevator, they tied the suit cases and pulled them up via a pulley. The room was small but had a great view which is the only thing positive thing that can be said. The bathroom was very small and the shower was extremely rundown and dirty. The breakfast was just one cold crossant and cofee. Its the worst hotel that we had stayed in Italy during our two week trip and of the worst value. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Liked — The view from the room window.
  • Disliked — Dirty and rundown baathroom, no elevator, dangerous entrance door on main road
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

The B&B Residence Caprice was a really pleasant experience.
My friend and I were travelling around Europe, and Amalfi was definetly one of our top beach destinations. The beach had a beautiful mountain backdrop and the water was great.
We were relieved when we could see the hotel from the ferry we caught from Salerno, as we had to search for our other hotels. One problem though.....we couldnt find the entrance!! Needless to say, we eventually figured out it was in a very narrow tunnel (if you make a run for it, you can avoid getting run over!). After that, we were faced with a few flights of stairs to get to the actual hotel entrance (which because of a combo of the heat and 200 pounds of baggage, was not easy). In the end , I did appreciate the free exercise!
The staff was generally friendly, and most spoke english. Amalfi appears to be the place Romans go on holiday, so we only ran into a few non-italian tourists.
We had booked a room with a terrace, but didnt expect it to be as beautiful as it was. We had our very own terrace, beautifully designed, with a spectacular view. I recommend paying extra for it (it wasnt even that much more expensive). Word to the wise though, one couple told us they had booked for a terrace and had to spend the first day without one.
Breakfast was included and was pretty good. It was served on a general terrace with a great view.
The room was clean but a little cramped. Because we had a terrace, we had a slanted ceiling, even in the bathroom. We all know about european bathrooms, but this one took skill to wash in. I couldnt stand up in the shower area, but I eventually got the hang of showering that way. The toilet was IN the shower area, so we had to drape the curtain over it so it wouldnt get wet.
Other than that, the room was nice.
Keep in mind that it appeared that the buildings in amalfi seemed very "vertical" (because of the mountains), so you'll do a lot of stair climbing.
The ferry system is a little hectic (you have to beat the crowds to get on), but I recommend a day trip to some of the neighbouring places, like Positano. A british couple we met went to Capri, and they said that while it was beautiful, it was also crowded.

All in all, I would recommed this hotel. Good location and great view. For me, the terrace won me over as soon as I saw the view!

• Liked — terrace, view, near to beach
  • Disliked — stairs, slanted ceiling in room, entrance in a car tunnel
  • Tips/Secrets — book for a terrace
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

I would agree with all the other reviews.
We too were given a room on arrival that appeared to be part of the family's accomodation. Not a problem really, were moved after a couple of nights to room 1. Room 1 is by reception, which isn't ideal because of the noise that can be heard (eg tel phone in the middle of the night). However, does have a juliet balcony overlooking the sea - absolutely lovely. Shower was v good. Breakfast basic, and can get v boring if stay for more than a few days (but I think Italy has basic breakfasts in general).
V helpful staff, receoptionist/cleaner helped us booked some train tickets online using hotel's computer.
I believe that Room 5 is the best room, so make sure to request in advance.
Overall, would definitely recommend this hotel, the views are worth the price alone. This is not some big corporate hotel, so don't expect the Ritz, but for 130 Euros a night, good value.

Stayed July 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

Amalfi was the 4th stop on a three week tour that included Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Santorini ( Greece) and Athens. I think we paid 115E per night for a double. The hotel is very close to the port where the ferries dock. We had bought bus tickets and lined up for the Sita bus an hour early but when the bus came it was mayhem with everyone cramming on and we did not get on. So we walked over to the ferry port in Sorrento and one guy told us there were no ferries to Amalfi and to catch a bus back to the SITA station. We went to get a bus ticket and lo and behold another ferry company was selling ferry tickets to Amalfi so we learned our lesson and after that only accepted something was true after asking about 4 people and getting the same response. Anyway, the ferry was nicer than being crammed on a bus down a winding road anyway. The Caprice entrace is up a curving road to the left and up a few flights of stairs ( I think it is a given that you will climb stairs in Italy). The room was very nice and well equipped with a phone, tv, hairdyer etc. The shared terrace was really nice and we were often the only people out there. The bathroom was the only drawback. Very cramped and cave like. A word of caution, I wear glasses and took them off to shower and did not realize bc of the lowered ceiling that the shower curtain pools at the bottom and the drain is in the corner. you guessed it, I blocked the drain with the curtain and caused a flood- Ooops! I loved Amalfi and one day walked up to Ravello too. I'd suggest taking the bus though. it is a long uphill climb. We just headed for a walk to the east and found stairs that said "To Ravello" and decided to follow them. They lead to Ravello, but the signs tdon't say how far to Ravelllo and its far. I really enjoyed Amalfi though the beach it actually very tiny. I was there in April though so not a big deal for me.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2005

My fiance and I stayed in the Residence Caprice Hotel in Amalfi this past summer and thoroughly enjoyed it! It looks over the marina and the ocean. We had a small, but great little balcony and got to hear the ocean every night. We kept the doors to the balcony open. The lady and her daughter or grandaughter that run it were overlyfriendly. It was like staying at a relative's house! Our room was large with our own large bathroom for a very very good price. We stayed here for 3 nights and loved every single night. It just a walk down the stairs on one side to the city center with all of the shopping and restraunts and on the other side.. just a walk down to the beach. We used the public beach to the left of the hotel everyday. I can't say enough about how much we loved Amalfi and our stay at the Residence Caprice!!!

Been to B&B Residence Caprice? Share your experiences!