“Worst Hotel I have ever seen” 1 of 5 stars
Review of B&B Residence Caprice

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amalfi
B&B Residence Caprice
You added B&B Residence Caprice to your Saves list
Via Matteo Camera 5, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #32 of 32 Amalfi B&B and Inns
Galway
“Worst Hotel I have ever seen”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2009

We stayed in this hotel while on Honeymoon. We booked a Deluxe Room with Terrace and Seaview. We were greeted by the very unfriendly owner of the hotel. We were shown our room. I was shocked. It is the worst room I have ever stayed in. The room just fitted the bed. It has a sloped ceiling - I found it hard to stand. The bathroom was tiny. When I asked where the toilet was - I was told to pull back the shower curtain - and yes - the toilet was in the shower. I explained that there must be a mistake and that I had booked a deluxe room. I was told that this was a deluxe room. I explained that I was on honeymoon and that I would really like another room. I was told that they were all full. The experience was terrible. The room was dirty. I could not stand up in the shower because of the sloping ceiling. The water ran all over the toilet. Please do not stay at this hotel. I would hate anyone else to experience it.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple

Business
Newyork
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2007

It was very difficult to locate the hotel and when we did eventually, it was very difficult to get anywhere near the hotel. When we were able to finally make contact with the hotel, we had to wait for someone to come and meet us on the road where we were parked. (if you do not have a cellphone,it will be very difficult to make contact). The entrance door to the hotel is right on the main road with no parking space at the curb. The traffic on this road is such that you need to be very careful not to get run over when coming out of the hotel. This is especially dangerous for children. There is no elevator and you need to climb 52 steps (taller than regular steps) to get to the top floor where the hotel is. As there is no elevator, they tied the suit cases and pulled them up via a pulley. The room was small but had a great view which is the only thing positive thing that can be said. The bathroom was very small and the shower was extremely rundown and dirty. The breakfast was just one cold crossant and cofee. Its the worst hotel that we had stayed in Italy during our two week trip and of the worst value. DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL.

• Liked — The view from the room window.
  • Disliked — Dirty and rundown baathroom, no elevator, dangerous entrance door on main road
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
ottawa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2006

The B&B Residence Caprice was a really pleasant experience.
My friend and I were travelling around Europe, and Amalfi was definetly one of our top beach destinations. The beach had a beautiful mountain backdrop and the water was great.
We were relieved when we could see the hotel from the ferry we caught from Salerno, as we had to search for our other hotels. One problem though.....we couldnt find the entrance!! Needless to say, we eventually figured out it was in a very narrow tunnel (if you make a run for it, you can avoid getting run over!). After that, we were faced with a few flights of stairs to get to the actual hotel entrance (which because of a combo of the heat and 200 pounds of baggage, was not easy). In the end , I did appreciate the free exercise!
The staff was generally friendly, and most spoke english. Amalfi appears to be the place Romans go on holiday, so we only ran into a few non-italian tourists.
We had booked a room with a terrace, but didnt expect it to be as beautiful as it was. We had our very own terrace, beautifully designed, with a spectacular view. I recommend paying extra for it (it wasnt even that much more expensive). Word to the wise though, one couple told us they had booked for a terrace and had to spend the first day without one.
Breakfast was included and was pretty good. It was served on a general terrace with a great view.
The room was clean but a little cramped. Because we had a terrace, we had a slanted ceiling, even in the bathroom. We all know about european bathrooms, but this one took skill to wash in. I couldnt stand up in the shower area, but I eventually got the hang of showering that way. The toilet was IN the shower area, so we had to drape the curtain over it so it wouldnt get wet.
Other than that, the room was nice.
Keep in mind that it appeared that the buildings in amalfi seemed very "vertical" (because of the mountains), so you'll do a lot of stair climbing.
The ferry system is a little hectic (you have to beat the crowds to get on), but I recommend a day trip to some of the neighbouring places, like Positano. A british couple we met went to Capri, and they said that while it was beautiful, it was also crowded.

All in all, I would recommed this hotel. Good location and great view. For me, the terrace won me over as soon as I saw the view!

• Liked — terrace, view, near to beach
  • Disliked — stairs, slanted ceiling in room, entrance in a car tunnel
  • Tips/Secrets — book for a terrace
  • Stayed August 2006, traveled with friends
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
London, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2006

I would agree with all the other reviews.
We too were given a room on arrival that appeared to be part of the family's accomodation. Not a problem really, were moved after a couple of nights to room 1. Room 1 is by reception, which isn't ideal because of the noise that can be heard (eg tel phone in the middle of the night). However, does have a juliet balcony overlooking the sea - absolutely lovely. Shower was v good. Breakfast basic, and can get v boring if stay for more than a few days (but I think Italy has basic breakfasts in general).
V helpful staff, receoptionist/cleaner helped us booked some train tickets online using hotel's computer.
I believe that Room 5 is the best room, so make sure to request in advance.
Overall, would definitely recommend this hotel, the views are worth the price alone. This is not some big corporate hotel, so don't expect the Ritz, but for 130 Euros a night, good value.

Stayed July 2006
Winnipeg, Manitoba
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2006

Amalfi was the 4th stop on a three week tour that included Rome, Naples, Pompeii, Santorini ( Greece) and Athens. I think we paid 115E per night for a double. The hotel is very close to the port where the ferries dock. We had bought bus tickets and lined up for the Sita bus an hour early but when the bus came it was mayhem with everyone cramming on and we did not get on. So we walked over to the ferry port in Sorrento and one guy told us there were no ferries to Amalfi and to catch a bus back to the SITA station. We went to get a bus ticket and lo and behold another ferry company was selling ferry tickets to Amalfi so we learned our lesson and after that only accepted something was true after asking about 4 people and getting the same response. Anyway, the ferry was nicer than being crammed on a bus down a winding road anyway. The Caprice entrace is up a curving road to the left and up a few flights of stairs ( I think it is a given that you will climb stairs in Italy). The room was very nice and well equipped with a phone, tv, hairdyer etc. The shared terrace was really nice and we were often the only people out there. The bathroom was the only drawback. Very cramped and cave like. A word of caution, I wear glasses and took them off to shower and did not realize bc of the lowered ceiling that the shower curtain pools at the bottom and the drain is in the corner. you guessed it, I blocked the drain with the curtain and caused a flood- Ooops! I loved Amalfi and one day walked up to Ravello too. I'd suggest taking the bus though. it is a long uphill climb. We just headed for a walk to the east and found stairs that said "To Ravello" and decided to follow them. They lead to Ravello, but the signs tdon't say how far to Ravelllo and its far. I really enjoyed Amalfi though the beach it actually very tiny. I was there in April though so not a big deal for me.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2005

My fiance and I stayed in the Residence Caprice Hotel in Amalfi this past summer and thoroughly enjoyed it! It looks over the marina and the ocean. We had a small, but great little balcony and got to hear the ocean every night. We kept the doors to the balcony open. The lady and her daughter or grandaughter that run it were overlyfriendly. It was like staying at a relative's house! Our room was large with our own large bathroom for a very very good price. We stayed here for 3 nights and loved every single night. It just a walk down the stairs on one side to the city center with all of the shopping and restraunts and on the other side.. just a walk down to the beach. We used the public beach to the left of the hotel everyday. I can't say enough about how much we loved Amalfi and our stay at the Residence Caprice!!!

Arlington, VA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2005

On the positive side: good location overlooking the harbor. Noise not a factor at night due to incredibly good shutters which eliminated all the noise to a whisper--even the church bells. Everything was clean, breakfast terrace very pleasant. Decent price at 130 Euros per night.

Negatives: I think we were in a spare room as it did not have a room number and our keys were different than the other keys. Plus, our entry was via another door down the hall which opened up into a suite of rooms, all the other rooms occupied by a family as their home. Their clothes were in our closets (although there was plenty of space for our clothes). The last night I think they hid the A/C remote from us so we wouldn't use it. The hotel was up several flights of stairs and had no real entrance. Once out the door, you were in the street (not even a sidewalk).

IN all, we enjoyed it and found the negatives just quirky. However, next time staying in Amalfi would probably check out other hotels.

• Stayed September 2005

Been to B&B Residence Caprice? Share your experiences!