“#Mesmorising” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
london
“#Mesmorising”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2012

This is a modern, exquisite yet tranquil hotel that provides breathtaking views of the beautiful coast and town of Amalfi.

We stayed for one night in the Junior Suite with the hot tub in the bedroom, which was by far better than any of the worldwide hotels we have stayed in. The professional pictures do it no justice, as the room was absolutely unique.

The view from the private balcony was incredible to say the least, this is the ever lasting memory we will take from Amalfi, which says a lot considering the picturesque views offered by the entire coastline.

Would most definitely return, thoroughly recommended!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (21)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2012

i stayed at the hotel vila lara and was blown away at how cheap, clean, quality and great this hotel was, not too mention the breakfest - bellissimo.....

the service was second to none, the friendly staff were awesome - Nello, Luka, Allesandro and Peatro, they all make you feel warm, welcome and go out of their way to help you out.

the rooms cleaned everyday, fresh towels, bed made - absolute cleanliness day in day out.

breakfast was great too with fantastic service, i cant say enough about this hotel. Must choose this as your first option for Amalfi.

Room Tip: all rooms looked great.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
West Vancouver
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

We choose this hotel because of the high rating in Tripadvisor and were not disappointed. Thanks to Nello and Luca and the rest of the staff our stay was very enjoyable. We had the junior suite which is a two level room in the attic. It was a jacuzzi tub and fiberoptic lighting, very romantic. The room itself is very large, and the bathroom which is fully equipped is large as well. However the room has a great balcony where we could enjoy breakfast or just lounging. The hotel is located high on a rock (with an elevator up to it) and in a very quiet location up the valle di Mulini. However, it is also just a 5 minute walk into the center of Amalfi and 10 minute walk to the pier and buses. Yet we could hear the birds singing, goats and neighborhood dogs. Nello and Luca were very helpful, spoke great English ( and serveral other languages' including German). Breakfast was either in the lounge or outside on the deck. The double espressos were amazing, made just the way we like the. I would highly recommend this hotel and would stay here again when we return to Amalfi.

Room Tip: This hotel has only 7 rooms. Ask for the attic room.
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I traveled to Amalfi with my family.
From our entire trip to Italy, this was by far the worst hotel.
Rooms are small. No parking. Inconvenient location. Terrible breakfast.
Lousy hospitality and service as well.
Will never stay at this place again and would not even recommend it to people I dislike.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
villalara, Responsabile reception at Villa Lara, responded to this review, June 15, 2012
this review has been written by the wife of Marc Beylerian
please give up : playing cat and mice
here it is very hot ( 35° ) , lovely weather and we have no time and no mood to reply to you
Your review is too dissimilar to our normal reviews we have
A review without full names and dates is reliable for none, specially for someone who has as nickname " ontheroad " , the right place for you to sleep.
Farnham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2012

My wife and I spent a couple of nights in this little villa. We drove to Amalfi from Naples and were only to pleased to be able to get rid of the car in the car park (€18 per night) near the villa. If we travelled again I think we would try to travel by bus and taxi as there is never anywhere on this coast where you are able to park a hire car easily.

The villa is approached either by a set of steps or an elevator - first and only time I took the steps (all 200 of them), after that you understand why they put in an elevator. The villa is at the upper end of the main tourist street in Amalfi, but only 10 minutes from the coast on a gently rising road.

Our room was clean and bright but not very large. Breakfast is served on a small terrace overlooking Amalfi, but the sun had not reached the terrace when we were up and about.

The staff were very friendly and attentive.

We noticed that the villa offers a discount (amount unknown) if you pay by cash rather than credit card.

A delightful place to spend a long weekend.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

I could not recommend this place any higher, not sure about the negative review before. Located on the side of a hill, short lift ride up the hill or you can climb the steps as we did when not lugging our bags. You get a FANTASTIC view of this genuine Italian town. After a train ride from Rome I was tired and immediatly took a nap while my wife sat in the comfy sitting room drinking wine with Nelo the part owner and host. The room was clean and comfortable along with the queen bed. We stayed 5 days in Amalfi and absolutley loved the town! It was crowded during the mornings but after the tourist buses left town, Amalfi transitioned into a warm Italian small town experience. In no time at all we felt like locals. The resturants recommended by Luke and Nelo were tasty and made us feel at home. We enjoyed evenings talking with Nelo and drinking wine and Limonchelo before heading out to dinner. The breakfast was very good for Italian B&B's. This was the most relaxing town in Italy and Villa Lara beat our expectations for Italy after 15 days in country.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2012

Based on GREAT REVIEWS (despite the unexpected cancellations others experienced) I decided to book this hotel for our trip (2 nights in Amalfi). Booked directly. Paid cash to save 10 euro per night. No bad experiences with booking. However....
We rented a car from Sorento, drove to Amalfi.
If you are driving, go to the center (pier, and then drive between the 2 large white building)
Yes, it has a zillion of pedestrian... yes, you CAN drive through.... I doubted it, and had to ask 3 people to make sure I was not going to have people curse at me and throw things at the car.
We pulled to the front of the hotel gate (the hotel is a 50 sec elevator ride). I was told hotel has parking. Drive back down and pull into the left parking.
I did. And found the parking (Big Green garage door). I parked and all was good. Took the car the next day to drive to Positano and other places, and returned it until the last day when we checked out.
PROBLEM: AT NO TIME, DID ANYONE MENTION TO ME THAT IT WAS AN 18 EURO PER DAY FEE FOR PARKING.
I understand, the cost, but during my entire stay, the hotel NEVER mentioned that parking was NOT free and 18 euro per day cost. Also the Garage never mentioned it as well. I was caught by surprised and this is not right, when you are leaving, to have someone ask you to pay 36 euro for 2 days stay.
Other comments:
We were three people staying in the room. Room was small (too small for 3 persons). No WIFI in room. But there is a nice size lounge room with WIFI just outside.
Welcome drink was WATER! I mean seriously... water? you gotta be kidding. I don't expect wine, but a glass of juice would have been more suitable or should have been offered.
Breakfast was included and just OK. The juice was bad. Cereal Ok. I did not try the croissants or anything else.
There is a 50 sec elevator ride from the street to hotel and back down, or many steps.
No idea how this could be the # 4 hotel in Amalfi!
It does not say much for other hotels in the area, because though this was just OK, it was far from what we experienced at Capri (Excelsior Parco <-- BEST PLACE if you are going to Capri.. welcome drink is WINE and FREE pick up and drop off EVERYWHERE, now that is service!!)
Back to Amalfi.....If you choose to stay at Villa Lara, don't expect much.....
Best Experience here?
Besides leaving? =o)
the Jacuzzi shower was an experience...I never laughed enough... small but an experience to be had. It nailed me in all the right spots that I was in the shower laughing for at least 5 min!!

Room Tip: If you are three, consider getting 2 rooms or booking elsewhere!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
villalara, Responsabile reception at Villa Lara, responded to this review, May 30, 2012
Dear Marc Beylerian

1. Hard to find hotel (no fault of theirs) Just hard to find the place and I am bad at directions.
no fault of theirs is already a reply, only people they live on Amalfi coast can understand
how difficult to put signs and park , under Unesco Heritage, nothing is possible to do
Amalfi centre is like this since people used cars 1950’s , 1 km square for 6000 people ,
plus tourists, I don’t think it will change it for you in the next 100 years .
you can try talking with the Major I will fix an appointment with him.

2. Parking on Amalfi coast is expensive everywhere, no space for parkings , option was to
park in the municipal parking at euro 3.50 per hour.
it is marked on our website properly and travel guide books of the world

3. Elevator is 50 seconds for 40 meters ( 130 feet ) in the rock , we do appreciate only the
building work of 1972 . Quicker lifts are available in the skyline hotels.

4. Wi fi : Villa Lara is an old building ( 1900 ) with thick walls of 100 years old , plus Telecom
Italy does not provide a good service as locals know it has happened in these days
of storming and strong rains, and it was not a good line.
There is a Committee on Amalfi coast against Telecom since years , no success.

5. The room is small for a couple ( 40’s ) and the father of 70’s I agree with you .
I would advise you next time to take 2 rooms even for the privacy of your wife , but I wonder
how you can afford it , if you complained to pay 18.00 euro for parking however you paid
almost like a bed in an youth hostel, which is around Euro 25 per person ( only bed ) with
10 persons in a room – probably is your style of travelling.

6 . Usually we ask to our guests what do they like to drink .
Probably the receptionist offered you water, as you were sweat and thirsty

Been to Villa Lara? Share your experiences!