“sfogliatelle!!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #5 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
ravenna
“sfogliatelle!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2011

Nice place Villa Lara to recharge the batteries and have a pleasant starting point to visit "Costiera". Beautiful and clean rooms, quite and small hotel where Nello and all the staff will help you to organize the visit of Amalfi and the other towns of this paradise. Breakfast in the morning is served on the (small) terrace, with "sfogliatella" and other sweets; the same terrace, overlooking on Amalfi streets, is the right place to taste a glass of wine before dinner.The hotel has few rooms and this is a guaranty of silence and quite (that means good sleeping). In few words Villa Lara worths a stop of several days to appreciate Costiera with the sympathy of Nello and the professionality of Alessandro and the others guys.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

305 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (18)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for five nights with a friend - we both thought it was great. The rooms are stylish, clean and comfortable, and generally have good views over the town. The location is good - just a couple of minutes walk from the front, and the owner and staff were all really helpful and friendly and full of good advice about the best places to visit. It's a small, personable and charming hotel that's definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Madison, Wisconsin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2010

A short 15 minute walk (uphill) from the bus/ferry terminal. Easy to find, although it's a bit of an adventure to get to the B&B from the street. The 50 second elevator ride up to the building is a godsend for people with luggage. I suggest walking DOWN the steps once during your stay just to see what you're missing! The reward for all this?? From the patio, you'll enjoy one of the most beautiful scenes imaginable. We literally could have sat here for hours, surrounded by cliffs on 3 sides, the Mediterranean on the horizon, all while observing the bustle of the little town of Amalfi far below... drop dead gorgeous! The rooms themselves were small, clean, and very modern. The staff was entertaining, and this will be a place I'll remember the rest of my life.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with family
Hamilton, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 26, 2010

Great view, great location, and great service. Everything you can ask for when your on vacation. The staff is friendly and helpful with helping you arrange day excursions and at the end of the day your always welcomed back to a fresh and clean room and a warm welcome. Make sure you spend the time to enjoy the belcony with a beautiful view and a bottle of wine from the local wine store. Oh, and don't forget the chocolate that they make in Almalfi, fabulous!!!!!!!!!

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

What a gem. My husband and I are so glad we stayed here, and are just sorry we had only planned two nights in Amalfi, because this hotel was such a pleasure to stay at. The room was gorgeous, the shower was the best we came across during a three-week trip. We felt so refreshed after showering here, and so relaxed after sleeping here. Breakfast in the morning is on a terrace overlooking Amalfi and the Meditteranean. The staff was very friendly and very helpful. When we went out for dinner on our last night we mentioned as we left that we were headed to Rome the next day and wondered if it was best to go through Salerno or Naples. The man said Salerno and when we got back from dinner he had written out the times and prices for all the trains from Salerno to Rome the next day for us. And at what we paid for the room it was an absolute steal. We would come back here in a heartbeat.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
ottawa, ontario, canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2010

We recently visited Amalfi which was a great base to visit the Amalfil Coast.
We discovered Villa Lara on the internet and were not disappointed. Nello and his staff offered personal elegant service in a lovely location, perfect for exploring the town and area.
Breakfast was excellent( served on the beautiful terrace when weather permitted) and the room quiet and clean. Front desk always attentive. The pictures are an accurate representation of what we found, unlike some other places.
Nello is an excellent host and we would not hesitate to reccommend this hotel.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Redondo Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2010

We've not even arrived home yet (still in Rome) and I'm already writing a review of Villa Lara because I think I can save a lot of people a lot of unnecessary researching. My husband and I are world travelling surfers (not just for fun but also for business) so we've been to A LOT of countries and stayed in A LOT of places. For the first time in our lives, we decided to take a non-surfing vacation for our honeymoon. The Amalfi Coast always sounded like a beautifully romantic place that honeymooners go, so we gave it a shot. For such a quaint little place, I didn't realize it would take SO MUCH research to figure out what town to sta in, how to get there, how to get around, etc. And on top of that, the towns are small which means they book up fast so that added to a lot of frustration, reading review after review just to find out that the place was all booked.

Anyway, when I was on my third night of reading hotel reviews for the Amalfi Coast, I finally just went with one of the first responses I got back and it was Villa Lara. They not only responded the quickest, we totally lucked out. The B&B is located on the main street of Amalfi Town just past all the tourist chaos and up on a high hill overlooking the entire town with a spectacular view of the hills. There are 188 steps (we counted) to get up to the place BUT there's a killer ELEVATR so you never really have to take the stairs unless you ate to much pasta that night.

We stayed in the junior suite and it was really spacious, always clean and comfortable. Every morning we had a delicious breakfast served by the nicest fella (Alessandro) with fresh baked croissants and sliced ham/cheese and all the cappucinos or espressos you desire. One of th owners, Nello was usually there too and always ready to make sure you had everything you needed and were happy with your stay. He was a super smart guy too and had some classic takes on philosophy and the global economy. He runs a tight ship and it shows.

Here's the clincher for Villa Lara...I accidentally left 2 dresses in the closet after leaving for Rome and Nello wrote to tell me. I asked him if he could post them to me in Rome. He told me that the Italian post is not too reliable and that he would arrange to have the dresses delivered to me somehow. He wrote me everyday giving me an update on what plans he was trying to make to get me my 2 dresses, and finally he wrote to say that a guest was headed for Rome and would bring the dresses with him and leave them at his hotel reception. All I had to do was go to his hotel near Termini train station and pick them up. It didn't cost me a cent! That's the kind of customer service that sets Villa Lara aside from any other hotel, resort, B&B, hostel, surf palapa I've ever stayed at. It's completely refreshing and that's why I HIGHLY recommend anyone planning to go to Amalfi to stay at Villa Lara.

p.s. Amalfi is also centrally located between Sorrento and Salerno and has the quickest access to Ravello so I thought it was an ideal town to stay in. Also, if the weather is nice and the sea calm, DEFINITELY take the ferries from town to town...SO much easier, faster and less nauseating than the buses and almost the same cost!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Villa Lara? Share your experiences!