“excellent holiday” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Excelsior Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Excelsior Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Papa Leone X | Locality Pogerola, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #22 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
Leicester, United Kingdom
“excellent holiday”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Hotel views were stunning and all staff very friendly, decor was dated but did not spoil our time. We found the food really nice, but some people were complaining, I got the impression they wanted English food they should have gone to the costa del sol. Antonio the head waiter could not do enough for you. I would also recommend a visit to Gerry's bar.
Amalfi is really pretty and we also visited versuvius and pompeii which are both worth seeing but it was a bit too hot on the day we went. all in all a great place and holiday.

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Glossop, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

I stayed in Ravello as a 15 year old and have been dying to revisit the area again. Choosing the Excelsior from Thomson as a package holiday for 14 days was the best decision I have made in a long time. We arrived at 8pm and were given a wonderful welcome with a bottle of bubbly delivered to our room whilst we unpacked and freshed up before dinner. The food, despite what other reviews have intimated to, was top class. Waiter service, always with a smile and a feeling of being special by Anton and his staff. A choice of four starters and four mains meant we were always catered for and the menu was never the same for two weeks. Other reviews have said that the hotel was dated which cannot be denied; but this added to the charm and the ambience of the place - my wife even expected Hercule Poirot to come strutting in for his dinner one evening such was the atmosphere! Our room (and indeed the whole hotel) was spotless and all rooms have a sea view, which is spectacular to say the least. The pool, whilst not huge, is plenty big enough and was cleaned every night. After a particular windy night there was bourganvillea leaves and flowers floating there in the morning, but a quick clean up soon tidied this. The hotel have some rules about bringing in your own drinks and not using the room's fridge for your own purpose, but we never had a problem even though we flouted these rules. 12 minutes walk away is Perogula and Gerry's Pub which is highly recommended. He is very genial, speaks good English, and is always happy to help and advise on trips out. He even entertains his guests with his excellent piano playing and not so excellent vocal skills! Cheap drinks make a night here very enjoyable and memorable.
We got annoyed with a particular loud group of guests who were there for a short stay (wedding guests) as all we could hear were complaints, mostly about the scrambled egg and the plumbing! We couldn't understand what their problem was, and put it down to them being serial moaners who would look to find fault wherever they were.
We did not let them spoil our holiday though as we had a fanastic 2 weeks, seeing some memorable sights and staying in a wonderful hotel. Our photos from the hotel overlooking the sea do not do it justice and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Wimbledon
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

Undoubtedly, the views from the hotel are stunning and perhaps this is why the hotel continues to have guests chooosing to holiday here.The rooms are very dated as is the general appearance overall. The pool is not maintained and poses a health and safety risk. We stayed in a garden room which was sub standard for a 3 star hotel let alone one that alleges to have 4 star staus. The room was damp and stank of sewage most evenings. It was so bad one night, and as the Excelsior had no rooms available, we had to be driven down to another hotel at 1.00am in the morning! Needless to say I would DEFINITELY NOT recommend this hotel to anyone. It is a pity because it has the potential to be very good. However, the current owner, Lorenzo, has allowed it to become run down. (We stayed here 5 years ago and just couldn't believe the level of deterioration. The hotel cannot survive on its location for much longer, if essential maintenanceis not carried out soon. Whilst my holiday was not spolit entirely - we attended an amazing family wedding in the beautiful Amalfi duomo - the Excelsior's facilities did not live up to expectations. This holiday was booked with Thomson travel company, who also did little to resolve the issues raised and probably will continue promoting the hotel in next year'sbrochure. My advice would be to anyone considering staying here is to look elsewhere until the hotel becomes truly worthy of its 4 star status.

Richmond, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2010

I have travelled all over the world and have been to Italy 3x and this is the worst experience of my hotel life. They claim to be a four star hotel but I have had a two star experience.

THis is a very old hotel that has not bothered to update any of the conveniences in the rooms. When I arrived, my room was tiny and did not have workable ac. They promised to fix it the next day but this did not happen. Then I asked for a fan which they delivered but it did not work. I tried to call them but the phone didnot work either. So at 1130pm, I had to march into reception and tell them angrily that I was very frustrated. THey then found another small room for me that was actually slightly bigger than my room but they did say that it lacked ac. It is hotter than the outside.

I paid a lot for my holiday and got a terrible room. The tour operator in Italy is Auratours and they should have put me in another hotel. This experience has put a bad taste in my mouth despite being in the beautiful Amalfi Coast area.

I have notified my travel agent of my negative experience and hope to be partially reimbused. It is simply outrageous!

Stayed July 2010, traveled solo
Galashiels, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2010

We have just returned from a wonderful family holiday at The Grand Hotel Excelsior. We found the staff extremely friendly and welcoming, both at reception and the restaurants and bars. Contrary to what many people have said, the food was excellent in quality and presentation. The hotel is set in a beautiful location overlooking Amalfi, and you can see this wonderful view whilst dining. The room and all areas of the hotel were very clean, spacious and tidy, and the decor is stylish, traditional and authentic. The pool is in a wonderful setting and was always clean and was very refreshing from the heat! We took several trips up to Gerry’s pub in Pogerola, where we received lovely food at lunchtime and friendly service. Our Thomson rep, Josette, was extremely friendly, helpful and knowledgeable, and we booked several excellent trips to places such as Capri, Sorrento and Herculaneum, and Pompeii and Vesuvius. Overall we had a memorable holiday in this beautiful, relaxing location and thoroughly enjoyed every moment of it.

Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2010

We spent a week and the hotel excelsior, and we were very disappointed with the Hotel. We had a lovely holiday and the views from the hotel are spectacular, but it is very dated. It is very 70's. there has been work carried out and there is builders rubble and equipment all along the pathways. The pool was not cleaned for at least the first 4 days of our stay, it is the first time that we have been in an hotel where the pool has not been chemically treated every night. There ware leaves allove rthe place that were not cleaned up. Our very first night there was very stuffy and uncomfortable, and the staff appeared to be stand offish, however this did change as the week progressed. There is nothing at the hotel to entertain you and as it is up a mountian with the nearest village a good 15 minute walk up hill you felt a little captured, if fact we went to bed one night at 9.30pm. The bedroom was clean enough, though the TV didnt work properly and the air conditioning was very loud. We did ask if we could upgrade our room but the staff were not very accommodating and we were told that there was no rooms available to do this. We felt that the external parts of the hotel could have been bettter cleaned. In our oppinion its four star status is very overrated and we would not stay there again.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2010

I visited the Excelsior over 20 years ago and have always been keen to return but have been put off by some of the reviews.We have just returned from a 2 week stay and couldn't be happier.
Firstly the location,as everyone agrees,is spectacular.The shuttle bus to Amalfi is always punctual so,between that and the Sita bus,Amalfi is easily accesssible.We did occasionally feel it would be nice just to stroll into town after dinner but this is a a small price to pay for the tranquility of the hotel.Because of the hotel's position, it is a short stroll to Pogerola,a small village in the mountains.From there we enjoyed,despite the heat,several beautiful walks.The peace of the village and the mountains are in stark contrast to the bustle of Amalfi so we felt that staying at the Excelsior gave us the best of both worlds.Gerry's Pub in Pogerola has the most spectacular views of the mountains and Gerry is very helpful in giving information on walks.
My main concern was the food.I need not have worried.Breakfast was fine.The scrambled eggs were delicious.There was fresh fruit available but the fruit juice and the coffee could have been better.As for the evening meal,the starters were probably the best Italian food I have tasted.Eating pasta with truffle sauce while looking at the spectacular view is something I will never forget.The mains were good,although at times the meat could have been more tender but I find this is often the case in hotels on the continent.Everyone we spoke to was in agreement about the food.
The pool was not dirty.It is situated below trees so some debris and insects do fall in but I cannot see how this can be avoided.
The hotel is clean,the staff were helpul without being "in your face".
I do agree that the policy of not bringing in food and drink is annoying.We enjoy a glass or two of wine on the balcony and it became quite a game smuggling it in.At the beginning of our stay,we also smuggled the empties out but discovered that others simply left them in their room and nothing was said .It was interesting to note that the rule about wearing bathing caps in the pool was also ignored!!
In short, I was not disappointed on my second visit to this hotel and it will not be another 20 years till I return.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!