“The perfect spot for a proposal!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Grand Hotel

Save Saved
You added Excelsior Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Excelsior Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Papa Leone X | Locality Pogerola, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Manchester, England
“The perfect spot for a proposal!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2009

We travelled to the Excelsior for the first week in September and had the most amazing time. Staying at the Excelsior was definitely the best decision we made. Amalfi is a beautiful town to walk around but the view over the Amalfi town and coast from the Excelsior with a glass of prosecco can simply not be beaten! The staff were incredibly friendly and nothing was ever too much trouble. The evening meal was always excellently prepared with a good choice. We arrived late to the hotel on our first night and they had plated us a meal ready as we did not arrive until after 10, it was delicious!

The views over the Amalfi coast from the hotel are simply stunning. My partner and I actually got engaged on the Tato veranda, which is essentially a stone veranda built high into the cliff side. We loved the Hotel so much, we are now strongly thinking of holding our wedding and reception there so that all our friends & family can appreciate what a great place this is and share in our memory.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (138)
Niagara Falls, Ontario
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2009

This hotel is located at what seems to be the highest point in Amalfi, the view was absolutly amazing, and the hotel was beautiful. Nice pool, wine bar that is located inside of a cave, and restaurant with good food. A couple things though, you are a good 30 minutes from the city center, if you wanted to go buy something, you had to wait for the shuttle or pay for an expensive cab ride. If you are going to be there for a couple days and are not planning on leaving the hotel too often then this is the place to stay. I have to share a personal experience, we were in Amalfi on the last leg of our honeymoon, we were there for 6 days. One night I bought a special desert for my wife and I to enjoy in our room, when this power tripping night manager would not let us bring it into the hotel, I explained the situation but he would not let us bring this in. My wife and I had to sit outside on the curb like a couple of bums eating our honeymoon desert. After all the money we spent in that hotel we were treated like a couple of homeless bums. Other then this employee the rest of the staff were awesome, the restaurant/bar employees were almost like friends by the end of our stay.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2009

We stayed here as part of a tour group and found that the hotel exceeded our expectations. I believe we probably had an "old fashioned" room, which was
quite large and very comfortable. The view from the balcony was breathtaking
and the hotel facilities were excellent. Our TV was very small, however, since the
only English stations were the news, we simply used it as a radio and this was
just fine. The food was good and the service was excellent. I had absolutely
no problems with any of the staff or their ability to serve my needs and requests.
The view from the pool area is picture perfect.

newzealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2009

As a New Zealander I traveled 24 hours for 3 short weeks to have a taste of what you Europeans have on your doorstep!!! (i waited 50 years for the experience as it does cost us heaps!!!!) Thank goodness my husband and I arrived at Excelsior with an open mind.. First of all I can not fathom why people complain about staff speaking Italian , for goodness sake we are in Italy.. embrace it! Your language is beautiful ... why go to a different country if you don't want to immerse yourself in the culture! Secondly walking into excelsior reminded me so much of the 50's or 60's! To me, I felt like I could imagine Sophie Loren walking down the corridors... I actually mentioned this.. I liked it. it was spotlessly clean and the staff were lovely. To add to the experience the bus trip down to Amalfi was thrilling!! Gosh in NZ you pay for experiences like that!!! Come on stop complaining please ... waiting staff you were great too! I'd come back!

London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

My Husband and i spent the week at the excelsior Hotel we had a lovely time. The only down side was the weather. We both found the staff very friendly and would love to go back

Italian paradise - Amalfi
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

I am not sure whether I am dreaming but the hotel Grand Excelsior that I spent a week in was a far cry from the one described by some critics. Our second visit in 2 years. We will return.
Brilliant loation with stunning views.
Super friendly staff no matter what their duties. Antonio and Mauricio (unclear of the exact spelling for which I apologise) were stars.
Good food and a wide always changing choice
Bus service good and when vehicle was full at busy times extra trips were made.
Beach journey is a little longer than stated but the roads are very twisty and some hold ups are inevitable. The beech however is just 1000 feet below the hotel!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with friends
Wales UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 15, 2009

From the moment we arrived at this hotel (and what a drive from Naples airport!) the staff were helpful, friendly and welcoming.
Yes - it looks like a throw back from a later 1960s/early1970s Bond film, but its spotlessly clean and the old fashioned style of the hotel is part of the charm.
The hotel is way up a huge hill, which has the advantage of the most amazing views over amalfi, but the disadvantage of not really being in walking distance of anywhere other than Pegorela, the local village (which has some nice bars btw - recommend Gerrys, Gerry is a star). The hotel does run an excellent free bus down to Amalfi however, and there is a service bus stop just accross the road, so as long as you are organised you are OK.
Amalfi is gorgeous, and there is so much to see and do on the Amalfi coast we didnt seem to stop. We werent expecting much of the food in the hotel, having read some of these reviews, but found it quite superb. After busy days out it was lovely to come back to the hotel and just relax in the evening over a really nice meal and a drink in the bar.
We were told by some seasoned visitors that the food in the hotel wasnt so good a couple of years ago, but has improved massively. This may explain some of the older negative reviews but how anyone can describe the food we ate earlier this month there as "sub standard" i don't know.
The food is all local, the ingredients used are local and sometimes quite basic (eg pasta course followed by fresh fish or meat, followed by local cake or icecream or a huge bowl of fresh fruit) but I found the quality of the ingredients, and the quality of the cooking second to none, and I am a keen cook. One of our neighbours was a gentleman from Amalfi who had worked for many years as a chef in the UK - and he was also of the opinion that the food was v good. You wont get a huge choice, and it wont be international cuisine, but what you get will be v good.
The room was lovely, a little old fashioned but such a nice change from the cloned feel of a modern hotel room, with "real" old bits of furniture, it was cleaned every day, the balcony was HUGE with an amazing view and it was comfortable, which is good enough for me.
I would love to go back to the beautiful Amalfi coast, and if I do, I would be happy to return to this hotel.
Finally, Mauritsio in the Bar, and Antonio the head waiter deserve a special mention for being so very good at their jobs and making our holiday even more enjoyable

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!