“Amazing views” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Excelsior Grand Hotel

You added Excelsior Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Excelsior Grand Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Papa Leone X | Locality Pogerola, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #24 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Wales
“Amazing views”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for just a week from 1st July this year and was very pleased. I wish I'd stayed for another week, as in reality, with flights, pick-ups etc. my stay amounted to only 5 days which was nowhere near enough.

I had a grumble on seeing my room, because it didn't have a balcony or terrace which I was expecting - the trials of travelling alone! However, it have a juliet balcony, and by standing the front legs of a chair there, there were amazing views of the sea, and Amalfi itself.

The food was good - the head waiter is very old fashioned - so don't cross him by sitting at a table without being shown to it!

The shuttle bus worked very well - I wish I had gone into town on more evenings (I wish really that I could have had only b& b, but I was on a package and it wasn't an option.

I wouldn't recommend the hotel's own beach. It's much better to stay on the bus and go right into Amalfi, which has better beaches and you have the advantage of being able to wander off and have lunch or go shopping during the day. It's also cheaper - the hotel beach costs 10 euros per day - WHAT - and I paid 5 euros on the main beach in Amalfi.

I would definitely go back to this hotel. I would prefer one in the town itself, but they are so much more expensive, and with the shuttle bus (and also plenty of local buses) this is not really a problem, and I as I say, from the Excelsior, the views are magnificent.

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor - on the first couple of floors, there is probably not much of a view. Also if...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (152)
West Kirby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

Hotel staff are very courteous and professional. Especially the restuarant manager who seemed to be there morning, noon and night!
Our view from the balcony was amazing but make sure you stay on the "Amalfi" side. At least then you can watch the various boats coming in and out of the harbour.
The rooms are very much traditional and the hotel itself is very 70's. We kept refering to the lounge area as the "Gold Room" for those of you who have seen The Shining. Well, it made us laugh anyway!
Our shower wasn't great (hot, cold, hot, cold) and the shower curtain sticks to you which was very annoying. Otherwise the bathrrom was clean and well stocked on a daily basis.
We only ate breakfast there twice but were quite dissapointed that the coffee wasn't up to much and the orange juice wasn't freshly squeezed (Small things can make a big difference).
Overall the hotel could do with some modernisation but taking all things into account, we feel it was average/good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left side have a better view.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Whitby, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2013

Great views but appalling attitude from several members of staff. Having met the manager, I can see where the culture comes from. Air conditioning works but the manager will not put it on (presumably he is saving money). I was told it is run at 23 degrees set by a central computer and to lower the temperature would discomfort other hotel users! My daughter had a put you up bed for two weeks and it took them a week to provide a decent mattress. The staff do not care about your comfort, patronise any reasonable requests and it is clear the hotel is only interested in taking your money. Half-board is poor with a limited menu choice each night. You are also miles out of Amalfi and away from other restaurants so you are unable to eat elsewhere. Decor very dated- I doubt this hotel has been decorated since 1966. Only redeeming feature was pool and view (that's why it gets 1 out of 5).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Lincoln
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013

After a fab holiday in 2008 here we decided to return. Amazing location with fabulous views. Antonio the head waiter still there and running the restaurants like a well oiled machine. Food and wine is great.
Still with its 1970's James Bond charm, the Excelsior is a time warp but in a good way.
Since we were last there the area has developed and more people have 'discovered' The Excelsior and the village above. A very relaxed holiday.
The hotel would have got a 5 star review if it wasn't for the paper thin walls: I really didn't want to listen to next door bonking noisily every night! (so don't get a room on the first floor folks!) though they did take a hint when I shouted "do you want scores out of ten!"

Room Tip: go for the higher up rooms... floors above 3!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

If you are looking for a charming Italian hotel that serves good coffee and juice in the morning do not go here.

The view is more than great. Therefor we took having to shower with a sticky curtain in the room that should have been renovated in the last millennium, as part of the adventure. As well as the hotel rules that can be found on every wall.

Not the warm hospitality that we found elsewhere in Italy and on the Amalfi coast.

The breakfast buffet was totally finished half an hour before closing. We did recieve an omelette on request. At that stage the Nestle coffee with powdered milk latte and the instant orange juice made us wanting to check out after 1 day.

The friendly staff tried to convince us to stay and then let us leave without any financial fuss.

• Stayed August 2013
Montreal, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

I stayed at the excelsior grand hotel and I have to say it was a wonderful stay. The rooms were very clean, the staff courteous. When I asked the front desk for dinner options, he actually called the owner of a local restaurant and arranged a pickup service for my friends and I for free. The restaurant we went to was a little gem, fresh pasta, seafood and all made with love italian food (all at a great price I might ad, I ate like a queen there).

The hotel itself is a bit outdated in style, but who cares, you are on the amalfi coast people! the views are breathtaking! I can never get tired of waking up, getting on my pretty large balcony and just staring at everything around me. It was so amazing.

The private beach was amazing, please don't go if you are going to complain about it being a rocky beach, you are in europe. The water is stunning and I took a lot of pretty coloured rocks back home as a souvenir.

The one thing I would say is a downfall, the walls are paper thin. We had the unfortunate luck of having a very noisy neighbour and heard every little thing, but thankfully that only lasted one night.

I would definitely go back, it was a great experience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2013

My Wife and I stayed at the Exelsior for 7 nights from 12/08/13 to 19/08/13, what can we say, Wow! what a lovely Hotel. We personally can not understand the adverse comments, sorry folks this Hotel is 5 star to us, no it isn't dated it is in a typical Italian Renaisance style like every Hotel and Building on the Amalfi Coast, this area is a Unesco World Heritage site so the buildings cant be modified, The whole staff from the cleaners upto the manager were so friendly and welcoming, the food was realy good with a good choice and both the Breakfast and Lunch Rooms were to die for, around 500foot up the mountain sitting on a balconey overlooking the town of Amalfi and the coast while eating your meals was a site to behold, it was fantastic, our room number 307 overlooked the Meditereanean sea what a site to wake up to it was fantastic,just with the sound of crickets and the church bells from the many churches arround the hotel,and the sea.
Our Bedroom was not only comfortable and clean but had been redecorated recently like most of the Hotel, it is not dated it is typical old world Italian Style Hotel we thourght it was fantastic and would recomend it to any one. To get to the town the Hotel and private beech the hotel provides a courtesey bus every 45mins to an hour.
So if you want to stay in a beautiful oldy world Italian Renaisance Hotel, that serves fantastic food, has comfortable rooms and friendly staff plus a fantastic views of the Amalfi coast from your Room and Dinning Rooms we would thourghly recomend the Grand Exelsior Hotel Amalfi

Room Tip: Any upper room, they all have sea views of the Meditereanean Sea, Amalfi and its Coastline
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Excelsior Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!