“The best breakfast and location” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Marina Riviera
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Pantaleone Comite 19, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Stavanger, Norway
“The best breakfast and location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

First of all, this is the best breakfast we have had at any 4 star hotel in Italy. We love italian cured meats (ham, salami etc), cheese, tomatos and fruit and it was excellent to start our day eating this on terrace with the lovely view.

Secondly, the location is perfect. The hotel is located only 5 mins walking from the pier where you can get transport by either boat or bus. It is only 5-10 mins walking to the nearby small village of Atrani, that is worth a visit.

The size of the room and the cleanliness is also excellent. We had room 75, which did not have a private balcony, but a large window that could be opened.

The beds were too small for our comfort. We had twin beds and we always had a feeling that we were close to end up on the floor (and we are normal and skinny).

The hotel also charge extra for the WiFi and use of the guest PC. Honestly, with the room rate we paid (appox 200 EUR/day) this service should have been included.

We could hardly hear any noise from the main street below the hotel when the window was shut. However, the noise from the breakfast/kitchen area woke us up too early every morning.

Anyway, the negative issues are only minor and we would be happy to stay in this hotel next time we visit Amalfi.

The hotel has an agreement with one of the "beach owners" on the town beach where you pay 7 EUR/sunbed. This town beach is very crowded and not very pleasant. We recommend going to the beach called Santa Croce, which is only a short boat ride away from Amalfi.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
  • Polish first
New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 30, 2009

Hotel Marina Riviera is conveniently located close to the beach in the heart of Amalfi, just a few minutes from the main square. There are beautiful views of the ocean/harbor from the breakfast room/balcony and many of the rooms. It is the type of hotel where each room has been decorated thoughtfully and uniquely. Our room was very bright with a beautiful arched ceiling, large windows and a lovely balcony overlooking the marina. The bathroom was well equipped with both a rain shower and Jacuzzi tub.

The Lobby/Breakfast room is locally decorated with hand painted tiles and ceramic table tops. Breakfast includes a nice spread of fresh pastries, meats, cheeses and dishes. Eggs are cooked to order (and recommended). The Staff was very attentive and answered any questions we had about the town or how to get around the Amalfi Coast.

I would highly recommend staying here if you are in town and hope you have as wonderful a time as we did.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2009

Enjoyed a birthday treat with friends. An excellent hotel giving superb service where all the staff and owners were very friendly and couldn't do enough for you. Our room was large, very clean and stylish with a direct view over Amalfi and the beach, the only hotel I've been in where your sheets are changed daily with the towels. Breakfast is a large variety of breads, meat, cheese, fruit and pastries which are all varied daily.The Hotel is an easy five minute stroll into Amalfi along the coast road and has a lovely large and bright breakfast room and terrace. I will definitely be going back again, the only improvement I can see would be if they could install a 'hot tub' on the roof terrace, perfection!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2009

If going to Amalfi stay here. First time for us. Great location, no car needed, great views. Friendly and helpful staff. Very clean hotel nice rooms. Breakfast was good with some variety very fresh fruit and some good hot food. I would definitly stay here when going to Amalfi.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2009

From the moment we arrived we knew we had chosen a beautiful hotel. Originally we had booked a Deluxe Room but when we checked in they upgraded us to a Junior Suite – Room 70 (If you are looking at their website and click on Junior Suites it is the one with black & white bedding, probably 8 pictures into the slideshow). The Room had a nice size bathroom with sink, bidet, toilet & stand alone shower and then a jacuzzi tub in the hallway between the bathroom and the bedroom. We also had a sitting area with a huge window, couch, table & chairs. There was also a nice size balcony with a table and two chairs. The bed was very comfortable – size of an American queen made up of two beds linked together (they didn’t spread apart like in Mexico, so no falling in the crack). The room had functioning air-conditioning that we had control of the fan speed and temperature. I’ve seen some people complain that you had to put the key in a slot for the lights to work in the room – this didn’t bother us as we have to do that in Mexico and some other places too (It also means we never lost our key).

The room had a 25” flat screen TV that had BBC & CNN World along with many other Italian stations – we only watched while we were packing up. The TV also had a DVD player which was nice for playing music cds.

One thing that I thought was interesting is that not one of our three hotels in Italy had clocks in the room – so you might want to bring a travel alarm clock.

The hotel has only 34 rooms, but I’m not sure how many were in use while we were there. Saw some of the same people everyday, but I don’t think they were full. I was told that 80% of Amalfi tourism is made up of Americans and Germans – that number is down 50% at the moment. The hotel is just up the street from the main square, not far at all (the way I walk, it was a 3-5 minutes stroll, the way my husband walks 7-10 minutes).

The pictures on their website represent the hotel very well. Everything was clean. We had fresh towels daily. I think the big bath towels were softer than the towels at the Hotel Arts in Barcelona which is a Ritz Carlton property. They did have two different size hand towels that were more like American dishtowels, but they worked. We also got two wash cloths every day – nice and fluffy.

The breakfast was a nice selection of yogurts, cereals, fresh juices (including blood orange which was very tasty), fresh fruits, cheeses, breads, sweet breads, plus you could have eggs - omelets, soft boiled, etc. There was plenty to fill us up. They also made cappuccinos which my husband loved (I’m not a coffee drinker).

We arrived at the hotel around 3pm in the afternoon and they checked us in quickly, gave us a tour and took our bags to the room. From the first email inquiry to the last day of our stay they were always hospitable and helpful – we would stay at the Marina Riviera again in a heartbeat.

Some people complained of street noise in other reviews– we didn’t have a problem. Yes you would hear a car at times, yes they might honk their horn, but I hear that at home too so it didn’t bother me. I could also hear the sound of the ocean which was wonderful!!!!

We stayed at this property for three nights (and I wish we were still there). FYI - For those looking at Luna Convento – it was just a few properties up the street.

Food –
On the first night we ate at restaurant in the square – it was ok (Couldn’t tell you the name – we were just tired and hungry so we decided to eat there).

Second night we ate at the Marina Grande on the beach – YUMMMM. Really good fish cooked with a little salt, pepper and lemon juice – I can’t remember what type of fish other than it was a white flakey fish. I think I had pasta too ( I ate way too much pasta during my trip). We also had a lovely bottle of white wine, Toburno Falanghina, which we enjoyed so much we had it with almost every meal during our trip and even brought some home. (And I am happy to report that our local liquor store carries it)

On the third night we ate at Eolo (which was in the same building as our hotel). What a wonderful splurge!!!!! To start, my husband and I both got the fried Macaroni & cheese (It was sooooooo good, I told my husband we were never allowed to make this at home as it would be too deadly). For our second course my husband got a snapper dish and I had another fish dish (again with the flakey white fish) – both were excellent. Again, mine was cooked very simply and full of flavor. We were so stuffed from dinner that we decided to pass on desert (we also had thoughts of getting some gelato later). They then brought us some lemoncello and a finish (which was meringue, raspberry & crème) If I could have stuck my tongue inside the cup to lick it I would have! This was not a cheap meal, but we both enjoyed thoroughly. Funny thing was I had printed out an article about a year ago from the Guardian website that talked about “Amalfi Coast on a budget” (dated 2006). They mentioned this restaurant as being better than the some of the higher priced restaurants in the area – well I think the prices have changed since the article was written, but non the less this was one of our favorite meals during our trip.

Daytime activities
During our stay in Amalfi we took the bus to Positano one day and Ravello another. Ravello was breathtaking, but I don’t think I would want to pay $600 a night at the Cimbrone property. Positano was good for a day trip, but I really loved the feel of Amalfi (not to mention the lack of steps).

The busses in Amalfi were a trip! I think the drivers try to have near misses to scare the tourists. On the way to Positano, as we were coming around a curve we came very close to hitting another SITA bus coming in the opposite direction (not to mention hitting the side of the mountain.) Both of the busses slammed on their breaks and there were many gasps heard on our bus. I looked at the driver from the other bus and he was laughing, as was our bus driver. Oh well. It didn’t stop us from taking more busses.

Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 26, 2009

My husband and I had such a lovely time at this hotel and in Amalfi that we didn't want to leave and are still talking about what a great time we had. The Hotel staff is great and is willing to help with anything. They helped us with transportation, dinner reservations, etc.

Our room was great! We had a incredible view, beautiful balcony, fresh fruit and a jacuzzi in our room. Breakfast is included which is lovely and a combination of buffet and made to order eggs and served on a balcony with a breathtaking view.

This hotel is a great value for the money and the staff works hard to ensure you have a wonderful experience.

We love this hotel, we'll definitely return and you can;t go wrong with this choice.

Kim and Eric Abbott

NYC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2009

The wonderful owners of this property take pride in their property and their guests. The staff are friendly, accommodating and eager to please. The property is extremely clean, have comfortable beds and the breakfasts are plentiful and delicious. They really have thought of everything. In our 9 day stay in Italy, this is the only property that had turndown service, left fresh fruit in our room after our arrival, and even had slippers for the guests. Terrace doors were soundproofed and heard no other noises from other rooms. Location is wonderful - great views and a short walk to town (5-10 minutes). The view from our room offered incredible views of the sea and beach, the mountains, the coast and the quaint town. We could have sat on that terrace for hours and never get tired of the view. We truly were amazed on the attention this husband and wife team give to their property. The smell from their cleaning agents, in itself, were fragrant and inviting. And for those who don't want to spend the extra money for their own terrace, the property has a large roof deck with lounges, tables and chairs to relax and enjoy those million dollar views. You will not be disappointed.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amalfi
Santa Caterina Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
Excelsior Grand Hotel
#22 of 30 in Amalfi
4.0 of 5 stars 711 reviews

Been to Hotel Marina Riviera? Share your experiences!