“Definitely a nightmare” 1 of 5 stars

Largo della Zecca 2, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #30 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
“Definitely a nightmare”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 12, 2004

I stayed at this nightmare of a hotel in September 2002 for 3 days after a wedding in Ravello. We had to walk up 3 flights of stairs to our room. Tiring. We had no view. Fine. We had no shower. That's a problem. Both doors on our shower were broken and the showerhead dripped out water. Of course there happened to be "no other rooms available" says desk so yes, if you can believe it, we had to shower in a public shower used by the hotel help. (and i'm paying 80 euros a night for this??) By the way, which was a floor down from ours so yes, we had to bring our clothes and shoes w/ us or we could've just walked around the hotel in our towels! Our room was disgustingly old, nothing 'charming' about it. I woke up after our first night stay with conjunctivitis a.k.a 'pink eye' which i've never gotten in my life and could only make me think that i got it from this horrible hotel. We had no a/c, fine, but a fan that was at least 30 years old that made the most horrible noise when you turned it on that we had to return it because there was no way you could actually sleep. Finally, when it came time to pay, Christian, the manager gave us a hard time about getting a discount because of our hardships. He also didn't have a credit card machine, which a man and his father from CA in front of us argued with him about. What hotel doesn't have a credit card machine and doesn't even say anything about it? So the manager calls the police (that's what they like to do there as I read in another review) and the policeman who directs traffic all day tells us we have to pay this guy or else. Well, my friend and I yelled at this man so much I ended up throwing euros at him and spitting and he almost punched us in face. Do yourself a favor, stay anywhere else other than here!

5 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Solo
Business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2004

Clean rooms, nice beds, quiet and convenient location, helpful owners, excellent breakfast, and a great price... not too fancy, but is great for those who require only the basics.

My wife and I were there for 5 nights and did not have a single problem, except for getting lost in the mountains behind Amalfi for about 5 hours (but that is another story).

This hotel is highly recommended!

denver,co
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 13, 2004

Its not too bad; price is right, had what we needed, bed, shower,breakfast!

1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2002

My only advise would be not to EVER stay in this hotel. In fact everywhere website says it is hotel but when you get there it is a pensione!! A bed and breakfast and a bad one at that.
This is the worst holiday that I have ever had and I wouldn't go there again if I was paid!
The rooms are falling apart and the showers drip water rather than actually being a shower, it is noisey, in fact I could go on but I would probably bore you.
We wanted to leave after two days, we agreed upon a price EUR 190. Went down the next morning to pay and we were asked to pay full wack!! yep, we were asked to pay for the days that we were not staying!! We requested a legal document to show us that we had to pay this, if this would have been produced we would have paid. He said that he did not have one so we refused to pay the full amount....and guess what...he called the police!!! Our passports were confiscated, there was no interpretor and we dont speak Italian. As you can imagine I cried my eyes out. My suggestion is, if you like being ripped off go to this place, if you don't stay well clear of this place. I can only describe it as like staying at alcatraz and having to pay EUR 100 for it.

Been to Hotel Sole? Share your experiences!