“Simple rooms with amazing view” 4 of 5 stars

You added Miramalfi Hotel to your Saves list
Miramalfi Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Via Salvatore Quasimodo 3, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #17 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
“Simple rooms with amazing view”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012 via mobile

I agree with the comments below that the rooms at miramalfi are very simple and the beds not comfortable. However as soon as you see the amazing view, I can't imagine how anyone could give the hotel a bad rating.

Yes there is a walk to the hotel and the free shuttle buses are few and far between, but all hotels in amalfi have the same issue. This is part of the beauty of the town.

• Stayed September 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Montreal
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2012

I will start off by saying that I would stay here again after our 6 night stay. The views were serene and the staff were all extremely kind and helpful. With that being said, this cannot be a 4 star hotel with the kind of food they are serving. The only thing about the food that is 4 star is the price! Pasta is over cooked, dishes are cold, meat is over cooked and cooked from frozen, bread was hard like a rock. Italy is in economic crisis and you can just tell that by how they are cutting corners at this hotel. Paying over 100 euros for supper and receiving that kind of food is not exceptable. Of course your not forced to eat at the restoraunt and that is why I'm still giving it a decent review. Just do yourself a favor and walk into town and eat.

Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Maidstone, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I can confirm Oddsi's view that this is not a 4* hotel (what such rated hotel would replace a broken minibar fridge handle with a 15mm screw ??). My wife and I found all the reception staff very helpful and would agree that the waiting staff could do much to learn from their front counter colleagues. One night I asked for a glass of red wine for my wife and the waiter brought a bottle. When I queried this, he said they "had run out of wine by the glass" !! On this occasion, I accepted this 'alternative'. The following Saturday night (with a wedding in full flow below us) I placed the same order with the same waiter and received the same response. This time, however, I refused any drink at all (much to his surprise). Some twenty minutes later, while talking to another British couple, the waiter appeared with a tray carrying a glass of red wine ! When I asked whre it had come from, he muttered something about Fort Knox and dashed off.
Because of its location, this hotel is not suitable for those people with a heart or mobility problem. Any movement around requires the use of either stairs or one of three lifts in the building. They provide a minibus service into town which stops just after 8 p.m. So any return after that time means paying for a five minute cab ride, or making a twenty minute serious uphill trek.
Being built into the side of the cliff also means that the pool and sunbathing areas are quite narrow, only allowing a few sun loungers to actually face the sea. All the rest have to be placed parallel to the railings. I would imagine at high season, these areas would become uncomfortably crowded.
We did not let these gripes spoil our holiday in any way, but it seems that the owners are relying on the fantastic views to compensate for obvious deficiences. It is a shame because, at little expense, they could make a dramatic improvement.
Oh, and finally, take their offer of 'live entertainment' with a large pinch of salt. The 'Italian Crooner', with backing tracks, is awful ! ! !

Room Tip: Try to avoid rooms 60 >>. They are on the lowest floor and immediately above the function area...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

My wife & I have just returned after a 10 night stay, & have to say we were bitterly disappointed with the hotel & its staff. In short, food is poor, breakfast rubbish, staff very unhappy, not sure we sore one of them smile. Rooms, ok at best, decor from the 80's. Would never go back there again. Oh & by the way, the one thing that is 5 star is their pricing !!!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2012

I have stayed here before. It's a beautiful location situated on the side of a cliff overlooking the sea and town of Capri. Easy walk to town but wear comfy shoes and watch for traffic. There are two paths to town that avoid most of the road. Ask at desk. Good staff; mostly very helpful. You might have to be persistent with one desk staff member...she seems to want the path of least resistance. Rooms have balconies and are simple but clean. Each has decent AC. Only gripe is that the mattresses are not comfortable AT ALL. Either they are old or very inexpensive. This might keep me from staying here again. Food is reasonable, but I recommend going to town sometimes. Try Donna Stella for amazing local fare and homemade lemoncello (under a lemon grove and a ways up the main road) or something in the small plaza just north of the main Piazza. There are some fine delis in this small plaza, a full-service grocery and a couple of good restaurants/bars. The Marina area also has good food and is great for people-watching. I would recommend Miramalfi at the highest rating except for the mattresses.

• Stayed September 2012
North Wales, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2012

Having read many of the mixed reviews, I was nervous about spending so much on a hotel for 12 days.

When we arrived at Naples, we got a bus right outside arrivals to the train station. From here a train to Salerno. Unfortunately, our patience ran out and we hired a taxi to the hotel rather than getting on the bus for 3euros or the Ferry into Amalfi for around 8.

Upon arrival at the hotel, check-in was very simple with our luggage being taken to our room. We had booked a Superior Double. Fair size room which was bright and most importantly clean. it had a terrace balcony with table, chairs and sun loungers on plus an amazing view of the sea and coast line. Amalfi was just to our left. it was a pleasure to wake up in the morning, open the curtains to see if there as a Cruise ship outside. if you are a light sleeper, do take ear plug as i was woken by the baby in the next room most nights.

Bathroom was well equipped with a Jacuzzi shower. all toiletries etc included. Rooms and bathrooms cleaned everyday. Bedding turned back as well before we arrived back.

Breakfast. As with previous reviewers, this was the only minor 'blip' of the stay. there was 1 particular server who just didn't smile and EVERYTHING seemed too much hassle. Most morning, i would need to ask at least twice for hot water and coffee for my wife and i. Breakfast was never really busy with only around 10 tables being occupied. I cannot grumble too much as the views, (whilst waiting for the drinks) was to die for. Breakfast consisted of cereals, fruits, hams and cheeses, bacon, scrambled eggs and fresh fruit drinks.

After breakfast there were 200 steps to the pool but if you did not feel like it there was always a lift. we did the steps at least twice a day to 'try' and keep fit.

pool, couple of drinks served to your sun longer, diving into the sea is what i consider a relaxing holiday to be about and this hotel really does score 10/10.

i really cannot fault the hotel, apart from the drink prices but this is the norm for hotels in the area. alternatively, you can pick drinks (inc water) from town and bring back to the hotel.

it is perfectly situated for walking into Amalfi and going on the various excursions. around a 10 minute walk that is all. the walk back was up hill, but again no issues.

It you are visiting Amalfi and want a really nice hotel in a fantastic location, them the Miramalfi is the place to book.

Room Tip: ALL rooms have sea views. we stayed in room 2.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver Island, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2012

This hotel is pleasantly located from a fifteen minute walk into the town center but needs to update facilites to acquire the four star status it advertises. Decor is defintely from the 60's and 70's. The main reception area is depressing and dark with too many green foliage plants that makes you feel that the designer just wanted to import a green area from a nursury store. No planning at all. Wi-fi is only available from this area and works only inconsistently. Very frustating.

Rooms are clean but minimalist. Upgraded rooms offer not much more from the basic rooms. clean tile floors, basic room furnishing. After staying in rooms at a four star status such as the Grand Royal in Sorrento, the Le Agavi, in Positano, the La Palumbo in Ravello, and the Weber Ambassor in Capri, our "superior" room here was disappoining to say the least. We paid the same prices but found rooms and the hotel not up to par. I had requested a "superior" room with terrace but ended up with a standard room on the left side of the hotel that had been upgraded with a "jacuccui" tub which was a basic tub with jets in it and the tubs were not new, hey looked recycled. We had a room with a balcony that allowed two people to sit outside, in a cramped way and the fabulous view of Amalfi was above the dirty and litttered rooftop of the restaurant. Cigaratte butts, empty liquor bottles, not pretty. Then on our first, disappointing night, the air conditioning began to leak in the hall between the wardrobe and the bathroom. We called the concierage, they promised to move us to a better room, but as it was late, and I knew they were booked when I asked for a differnt room earlier, we would be taken care of in thmorning. They then moved us to a lesser room, a "standard room", which we liked better because we could sit on our miniscule balcony without the garbage.

Next day we did request a refund for the difference between the two levels of room but were told the manager said no, we had chosen to leave our room. This was over the top. We were not given the room that we had booked to start with. The superrior rooms on the right side of the hotel apparently were more like the ones advertrised. We had talked with others in those rooms with the terrace and the superior classificaiton but even they felt they were not up to four star staus.

In the end we were only given a forty Euro discount and when we returned from dinner our third night the concierge told us they had been looking for us to offer us a free dinner. Well, she saw us walking out to dinner at about six o'clock and could have stopped us to tell us this but this did not happen. She said they were busy but did acknowledge us leaving so what was going on? We were in the hotel at the pool all afternoon. Do they not have the capability to put a message on the phone to contact the concierge? We think this decison to offer the free meal came very late. We repeatedly asked to talk to the manager; he was not on site, he never made the effort to meet us or phone us. The poor concierge staff merely passed on his dictums. Never have I stayed in a hotel over thirty years of travelling throughout the world, have I been in a hotel where I felt the management did not want to make our stay pleasant and satisfying. It was a nightmare. It totally ruined our enjoyment of Amalfi. If we could have changed hotels we would have done it but it was a prepaid, non-refundable booking and no way were they going to compensate us. This is the last time I will ever do a non-refundable booking.

The staff were not unpleasant but were not really tuned to making guests feel welcome or special. We had a horrible, expensive lunch, the waitors were indifferent, not at all friendly or welcoming. We decided to not have any meals after the first lunch before the room business became an issue. They were there to do the job and that was it.

If you book this hotel, take the cheapest room, expect a salt water pool that is underfilled so that you feel like you are swimming in a hole, basic food, and really not a happy place to be. I have never written a poor review in over thirty years but now I have. I hope this place can improve service and credulity as to the rooms they offer because I really feel what was adverised was not up to the mark. A special trip we had planned for a forty year anniversary over four weeks in Campania; all four star and five star hotels delivered what was advertised but this place we would gladly have missed. It actually made me cry to see how we treated and what we received for our money.

Room Tip: Choose the cheapest rooms because the more expensive ones are not that much different other than siz...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Miramalfi Hotel? Share your experiences!