“Not quite perfection” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
A TripAdvisor Member
“Not quite perfection”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2006

Yes, this hotel is in a fabulous location. And the staff are just as charming as everyone says. But don't get carried away.

First, some areas of the hotel could do with updating. In particular, the bathroom in my junior suite was a legacy of the 1970s. Crude lighting, some mould around the bath and cracks in the tiles.

Second, noise is an issue. The tiled floors are terrific to look at and everything is scrupulously clean, but slight drawback of tiled floors is that anyone walking along a corridor in high heels sounds like a drum's being beaten - and I was woken up every morning by the maids crashing their cleaning equipment around near my room. Quite a number of rooms are near or underneath the restaurant so there's also the noise of chairs/tables being moved about.

Thirdly, it is too expensive. I'm very happy to pay top dollar for top hotels, but this is just a bit more expensive than I'd expect to shell out for the very very finest place - and it does fall short of those. The rooms are great but not out-of-this-world and the food is fine but not stellar. It's therefore the more irritating that they nickle-and-dime internet access, as one example, at a rate of 6 Euros for any fraction of 30 minutes.

None of this is to take away from many strengths. The views are wonderful, especially from the restaurant terrace. Nothing is too much for the staff (to the extent of being mildly irritating when they carry your plate back from the self-service breakfast buffet). The glass lifts down to the swimming area and the pool itself are in an excellent place alongside the sea with a relaxing deck area. But it's 4 star not 5.

• Stayed May 2006

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
Seattle, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2006

This hotel is one of the best I've ever experienced. There is only one warning to those who stay, okay two warnings...1. If you are sensitive to noise, do not stay in the rooms below the restaurant... and 2. You will not want to leave.

The views are amazing, the grounds are refreshing, the service is 5star luxury and the food is out-of-this-world. Just remember, in Italy, there is a price for it. But if you have the means, I highly recommend it… you will not regret it.

During our first night we were put in a noisy room below the restaurant. So, at 6:30AM the set-up for breakfast began and we heard it all. So, after speaking to the manager, we were moved that day, and upgraded as well. The suite he moved us to was amazing and so quiet.

The staff was always ready to assist and help and always so friendly. I would love to stay here again someday…after I save up some pennies! LOL!

• Stayed May 2006
London, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

This is a special place. Not for the location - although it is perfect, being peacefully situated above the town, allowing you a short walk down the hill to Amalfi and its picturesque central square, with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. (You might prefer a cab back if the hotle's shuttle bus is not running!) Not for the view - although it is absolutely breathtaking. Not for the rooms - beautiful though they are. Not for the food - excellent though it is, though better, for my taste, at lunch just above the sea. No, the real gem of this family owned hotel is the staff. We returned for a second visit last summer and were greeted by name and treated like old friends. Nothing - nothing - is too much trouble; it seems like a real pleasure to make the guests feel good and, although we are fortunate enough to stay at some truly great hotels, the attitude marks this one out as special. Not cheap, but worth every penny. We look forward to our third visit in June, when we shall met the couple whom we met and with whom we became friends two years ago, also on their third trip and my brother and his partner who recommended the hotel to me in the first place on their third trip too. Says it all, really!

• Stayed June 2005
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

Fantastic hotel, fantastic service--we could not have asked for more truly. This hotel is definately value for money--view, food and warmth. We came with our children and while the staff was more than gracious-- think it is better suited for couples. You will not be disapointed.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

This Hotel is Truly magnificent!
From the moment we arrived we were treated with impeccable service. The staff were extremely welcoming, helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble.
Our stay at the Santa Caterina was blissful, fantastic and was the holiday of a lifetime with fond memories which we will always treasure.
We would suggest that anyone wanting a romantic and relaxing retreat away from the rigours of everyday life should save their pennies and invest in a true gem of a hotel and a location to die for.

• Stayed April 2006
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

My husband travelled around Italy in late October, early November of 2005. We booked the Santa Caterina on a whim and it was the best part of the whole trip. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Our room had beautiful turquoise tiled floors and what I believe was the largest terrace in the whole hotel. Our terrace was right above the outdoor seating area above the lobby and it was as big as our hotel room. The views were amazing and the town of Amalfi was picturesque.

The pool area was serene and I thoroughly enjoyed donning a bikini in November. As to the person who said the pool was filled with cold seawater, what do they expect. I saw several people jump into the sea and even though it was too cold for me, my husband gave it a try. When in Rome people, c'mon.

This was the most relaxing part of our very toursity trip to Italy and I would come back in a heartbeat. I suppose if you are looking for jampacked activities than you may not want to stay here. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway with beautiful scenery and people, then Amalfi and Santa Caterina are the right choice.

• Stayed November 2005
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

My husband and I travelled through Italy by train on our way towards Sicily and stopped, as planned in Amalfi for Xmas. What a wonderful hotel. I am not referring to the property, although it was very comfortable, but to the staff. They were the best we have come across in our travels throughout the world. Nothing, and I mean nothing was too much trouble.They were charming and helpful and not at all snooty as some reception staff can be at five star hotels. The food was perfectly acceptable but nothing fantastic. The bedrooms are serene and very comfortable decorated in white with antique furniture and french doors overlooking the gorgeous bay of Amalfi. The bathroom was very well appointed with a Jacuzzi bath and a seperate room for the toilet. The hotel runs like a well oiled machine. I would love to return to this hotel in the summer.

• Stayed December 2005

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!