“Second time - already booked again!” 5 of 5 stars

Santa Caterina Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 SS Amalfitana, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #2 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
London, England
“Second time - already booked again!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 9, 2006

This is a special place. Not for the location - although it is perfect, being peacefully situated above the town, allowing you a short walk down the hill to Amalfi and its picturesque central square, with plenty of shops, bars and restaurants. (You might prefer a cab back if the hotle's shuttle bus is not running!) Not for the view - although it is absolutely breathtaking. Not for the rooms - beautiful though they are. Not for the food - excellent though it is, though better, for my taste, at lunch just above the sea. No, the real gem of this family owned hotel is the staff. We returned for a second visit last summer and were greeted by name and treated like old friends. Nothing - nothing - is too much trouble; it seems like a real pleasure to make the guests feel good and, although we are fortunate enough to stay at some truly great hotels, the attitude marks this one out as special. Not cheap, but worth every penny. We look forward to our third visit in June, when we shall met the couple whom we met and with whom we became friends two years ago, also on their third trip and my brother and his partner who recommended the hotel to me in the first place on their third trip too. Says it all, really!

• Stayed June 2005

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
new york
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 1, 2006

Fantastic hotel, fantastic service--we could not have asked for more truly. This hotel is definately value for money--view, food and warmth. We came with our children and while the staff was more than gracious-- think it is better suited for couples. You will not be disapointed.

• Stayed April 2006
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2006

This Hotel is Truly magnificent!
From the moment we arrived we were treated with impeccable service. The staff were extremely welcoming, helpful and nothing seemed too much trouble.
Our stay at the Santa Caterina was blissful, fantastic and was the holiday of a lifetime with fond memories which we will always treasure.
We would suggest that anyone wanting a romantic and relaxing retreat away from the rigours of everyday life should save their pennies and invest in a true gem of a hotel and a location to die for.

• Stayed April 2006
Dallas, TX
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2006

My husband travelled around Italy in late October, early November of 2005. We booked the Santa Caterina on a whim and it was the best part of the whole trip. The hotel is absolutely gorgeous. Our room had beautiful turquoise tiled floors and what I believe was the largest terrace in the whole hotel. Our terrace was right above the outdoor seating area above the lobby and it was as big as our hotel room. The views were amazing and the town of Amalfi was picturesque.

The pool area was serene and I thoroughly enjoyed donning a bikini in November. As to the person who said the pool was filled with cold seawater, what do they expect. I saw several people jump into the sea and even though it was too cold for me, my husband gave it a try. When in Rome people, c'mon.

This was the most relaxing part of our very toursity trip to Italy and I would come back in a heartbeat. I suppose if you are looking for jampacked activities than you may not want to stay here. If you are looking for a relaxing getaway with beautiful scenery and people, then Amalfi and Santa Caterina are the right choice.

• Stayed November 2005
london
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2006

My husband and I travelled through Italy by train on our way towards Sicily and stopped, as planned in Amalfi for Xmas. What a wonderful hotel. I am not referring to the property, although it was very comfortable, but to the staff. They were the best we have come across in our travels throughout the world. Nothing, and I mean nothing was too much trouble.They were charming and helpful and not at all snooty as some reception staff can be at five star hotels. The food was perfectly acceptable but nothing fantastic. The bedrooms are serene and very comfortable decorated in white with antique furniture and french doors overlooking the gorgeous bay of Amalfi. The bathroom was very well appointed with a Jacuzzi bath and a seperate room for the toilet. The hotel runs like a well oiled machine. I would love to return to this hotel in the summer.

• Stayed December 2005
Suwanee, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2006

On our visit to Italy, we stayed in Rome, Venice, Siena, and Amalfi. This was definitely our favorite hotel. It was clean, comfortable, and beautiful. We stayed in a standard room, which was fine. The view from our balcony was breathtaking. The bathroom was very clean and loved the heated towel racks. The service was impeccable. They bent over backwards to make us happy. The breakfast was wonderful and the view from the dining room was gorgeous. All I have to say about the person who said something about the tv, who watches tv here!

The reviews I read that sounded disappointed surprised me, but I guess there are some people that just have to complain.

I would definitely without a doubt stay here again.

• Stayed March 2004
Tallahassee, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2005

The Santa Caternia in Amalfi has an excellent location just outside of downtown Amalfi. My Girlfriend and I spent an excellent week there in Nov. 2005.

Overall the service was excellent. Staff was friendly and always helpful. The font desk most helpful recommendations and were familiar with all the restaurants and happenings in the surrounding area and were competent enough to arrange just about any outing complete with packed lunches.

From breakfast, one night of room service, and snack service, I would judge the restaurant to be excellent however we didn’t have dinner at the hotel.

Rooms were clean and the Jacuzzi was very nice after a day out on the coast. I'm not sure I would suggest a standard room as they are buried in the heart of the hotel. The pool was closed for winter but I would imagine in summer it would be amazing.

If you drive I would point out the roads are very small and parking in the area is limited.

The description of the hotel on their website is totally accurate.

I plan to return to this hotel again.

• Stayed November 2005

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!