“Great Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Ridgefield, CT, USA
“Great Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2008

We just came back from two great weeks in Italy and the Santa Caterina was the highlight hotel of the trip. We had a junior suite and the view was so amazing it was hard to do anything but sit and stare.

We travel a great deal and stay at very nice hotels, but this was probably the best ever. In my opinion the food, fish dishes especially, were excellent every time. We stayed for 4 nights and ate in th hotel 3 times because of the food. The wine list was also excellent and the head waiter chose very good, less expensive local selections, when asked for ideas.

No one mentioned that it's a very easy 5 minute walk into town. Although we are 65 years old, we walked both ways twice, both in the afternoon and evening, rather than wait for a taxi or bus. Coming back is a fairly steep hill, but not terrible. If you can walk around Positano, you'll have no trouble with this.

One of the walks to town was to get the ferry to Positano, which was a beautiful, inexpensive way to go. The ride was less than 30 minutes and the scenery was amazing.

Since we went early October, there were no crowds, great weather, plenty of pool lounges and the service was warm and helpful. We were out sightseeing each day during lunch, so never tried the pool restaurant. We'll certainly go back to the hotel in the future.

The only negative was the adjoining decks. We had an Eastern European couple who sat there and smoked incessantly. When they were on their patio we couldn't enjoy our own.

• Liked — Large suite with great view
  • Disliked — Smokers next door
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
buckinghamshire
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2008

4 night stay after visiting Rome.We had a junior suite with fantastic views over the sea and Amalfi town and the suite was very clean.Not badly appointed either although the balcony is small and overlooks adjoining suites and vice versa.Big show of bringing welcome champagne which turns out to be a half bottle of Prosecca.
Santa Caterina in general operates on 2 parallels.Staff seem efficient and helpful but the ethos underlying this appears to be one of getting as much money out of the visitor as possible together with making it clear that repeat or longer stay customers are the only customers the hotel wants.
Some examples - the sunbeds and pool.The pool is tiny and hopelessly inadequate for the number of potential users,as indeed is the sun lounger area which is a stretch of platform wholly undersized for the job so all the sunbed users are squashed in like sardu=ines.The staff here favour repaets/long stay by reserving their sunbeds leaving the few remaining inferior beds for the rest.The staff here are unhelpful and in some cases surly - no offers of water,fruit,fresh towels etc.At the level this hotel claim to set their stall,this really is below par.
Lunch is served at a restaurant on the way down to the sea/pool and is a strange option of formal waiters and full silver service for 'beach-dressed' customers.Indeed this restaurant only offers more substantial lunch options and you have to go up to the main hotel restaurant for snacks - seems the wrong way round?Here there is no opportunity lost for money=making for example I asked for some fries with my club sandwaich so the waiter brings a separate plate of fries (for 14 euros) but the sandwich already has a side of fries anyway!
I asked for an outside table for dinner but after 3 conflicting replies suggesting it may not be possible to book a table outside or maybe is was possible,I decided not to chance it but to eat in the town instead.
The hotel runs a complementary shuttle to the town (about a mile) every 30 minutes but not between 12 and 3 and not after 6.30 pm so a taxi at 10 euros each way! is the only option,again the hotel being greedy I think in trying to farce you to eat in on their terms.
Amalfi town is very pretty but again they have overcharging down to a fine art - 14 euros for 2 ice creams,one restaurant said try our lobster starter special which was delicious but cost 45 euros! and so on.
In summary,the hotel is very expensive indeed to stay,expensive to eat,very cramped for pool/sunbeds and not well disposed to other than repaets/long stays but it is a fantastic location if you can put up with all this.

• Liked — views
  • Disliked — pool/sunbed area
  • Stayed July 2008, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2008

We started our honeymoon out at the Santa Caterina for 6 days......what a beautiful place. Everything was absolutely wonderful including the friendly staff. You were addressed by your names every morning. The food was amazing at the restaurant. The views from the room were breathtaking. We are were happy that we chose Italy for our honeymoon. There really was not one thing that we could complain about it. Complete Paradise. Hope to go back eventually.

Stayed May 2006
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2008

Writing a review on such a unique property is difficult. We stayed there for 5 nights in June 2008 and I had found it difficult to reconcile all of the previous reviews until I stayed there.

I think the problem lies with the geography and history of the Amalfi coast. There is very little land available for accommodation or beaches. Steep cliffs drop down to the water. The history means very few properties are demolished and rebuilt. The result is that a 5 star property here is generally quite unlike a 5 star property elsewhere.

We thought the Amalfi coast was one of the most beautiful places we have seen. It is well worth a visit, at least once in a life time. Having said that, we heard only English spoken by the crowds around us. And I do mean ‘crowds’. The villages are tiny and the streets are narrow. I can’t imagine visiting in mid-summer. The geography not only means that water access is difficult, it also means that moving around the area is not much fun (tiny winding roads that are very busy). Good hotels are often built outside the center of the village. The cost of –everything- in the Amalfi coast bears no sensible relationship to what you get. It is not possible to rationally conclude anything here represents “good value”. Once you get over these issues, you can enjoy the place!

We went to the Amalfi for the purpose of lying in the sun by the sea for 5 days at the end of a week and a half of frantic tourist stuff in Rome, Florence and Venice. The hotel was ideal for this purpose. Everything you need is there. The service is excellent with delightful staff. The food is very good, without being excellent. (I personally like my olives with a large flavour, so I disagreed with a previous writer who thought those at the hotel were excellent!) We would get up in the morning, eat a great breakfast on our balcony, wander down to the sunbeds (via the superb lift to the water) and lie in the sun for the day and read. Every hour or so we would rouse ourselves and dive into the Mediterranean. Very nice! In June there are a few beds which get sun from first thing to about 4.30. Return visitors appear to ensure that pool staff reserve their beds with towels before opening time. I assume money changes hands. It is a practice that unfortunately says much about the character of both the return guests and the staff (and no, the offenders were not from the European jurisdictions usually accused of such behaviour).

Although the restaurant at the pool level looks formal (white suited waiters) they were kind enough to serve us when we presented barefoot and in shorts and t-shirts. If you choose carefully, it is possible to have a lighter meal if you wish.

We stayed in Suite Follia Amalfitana and it is simply delightful. Older, but beautifully maintained. The ceramics are wonderful, the view is to die for. I felt the bed was getting a little saggy.

The village of Amalfi is not much. There is a very handy hotel shuttle which goes down regularly, but one visit is more than enough. Positano was much more interesting. If it is important to be a short distance from an interesting village, I suggest it might be worth exploring Hotel Il San Pietro.

One thing which is a “must do” is to hire a launch for a day trip to Capri. We decided to do it one afternoon. You can be picked up from the pool area at the hotel. We left around 12 and stopped for lunch at one of the “beach restaurants” along the way. There are at least four accessible by boat at various villages on the peninsular and the concierge will help you choose. It was a great way to lunch. Capri was an hour or so further. We spent a couple of hours there. To be honest, although Capri was beautiful and interesting it was very claustrophobic. The funicular down was madness with half hour queues. The boat ride itself though was simply magic. There are a large number of boats of various sizes available through the pool staff. This is obviously a routine request and is a superb way to get a sense of the area. If you get one with a rear deck suitable for sun baking you can lounge in the last light of day up to about 7pm on the way back. A beautiful treat!

My last observation mirrors some comments around functions at the hotel. Other reviewers noted that functions in the hotel can severely disturb guests. I would also like to note that functions in the pool function area have the same effect, particularly on the specialist suites. We weren’t concerned with comments in previous reviews about weddings because we were there mid week. Not realising that local custom does not limit weddings to weekends. If you are inclined to book one of the special suites, it is worth checking if there are weddings planned. We travel with industrial ear plugs and survived, but to me this is evidence of a deeply cynical approach to guests that lies behind the veneer that is the polished service of the Hotel Santa Caterina.

• Liked — beautiful views, excellent service.
  • Disliked — property used for functions.
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled as a couple
Hoboken, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2008

We stayed here for the last four nights of our honeymoon and it was the highlight of our trip! Santa Caterina is amazing from the service, to the location RIGHT down to the olives that they serve with drinks! I would stay here again in a heartbeat. The room was fantastic and the views from all over the hotel are amazing!
I can not say enough about the service!
There is a short ride (maybe a mile, if that) into the center of Amalfi from the hotel(which, after the hotel shuttle ends at 6:30pm is a 10E taxi ride). The concierge will call you a taxi to go whereever you choose! The hotel was worth every penny and I can NOT wait to go back! ESPECIALLY for the olives!!! ;)

• Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2008

Here is a copy of the e-mail I sent to the GM of the Santa Caterina, and I received a lovely e-mail back the next day from her thanking me.

To the attention of the manager,

I have just left your hotel, (we stayed in room 5) and wanted to let you know how DELIGHTED we were with our choice. I work as a manager in a hotel myself so I would like you to know my professional opinion.

1) The welcome to the hotel from Concierge was the most hospitable I have encountered in a hotel, and in fact, your staff seem to understand the true meaning of hospitality. We really felt at home, welcome and cared for throughout our stay.

2) Our room was beautiful, comfortable and relaxing and the views and bathroom were superb. We loved the decor, and the bed was large and comfortable.

3) The room was extremely clean on arrival and housekeeping did an excellent job of keeping it nice, morning and night. Housekeeping worked to our schdual effortlessly and there was always a warm "good morning" from the ladies in the corridors.

4) The quality and choice of the food and drinks available in the hotel were excellent, with service to match, and although prices are higher than Scotland, it is well worth it.

I would love to mention particular names, but unfortunately I can not remember them all, Franco and Gennaro, and the evening bar man, (Andrea?) stand out in my mind most strongly as providing exceptional service which exceeded all of my expectations.

True warm and sincere service does not happen everywhere even if the hotel possesses 5 stars, but every single member of your team has this magic quality. We would return if we had another chance to visit Italy, and would certainly recommend your hotel to my friends and guests of my hotel. Well done!

Warmest Regards

For those who want practical information, we stayed in room 5 which was a Junior Suite and booked through the hotel direct for 334 Euros per night including breakfast. (Out of season rate being April although the weather was lovely.) Quality of food and drink are very high and service is just really attentive at all times. Every area, reception, concierge, bar, restaurant and housekeeping exceeded all expectations and everyone was so warm and sincere. I meant every word of my letter to the General Manger.

Prices in the hotel are high, but I believe well worth it. Although you may pay 15 euros for a cocktail, it's made well, served well, you're welcomed to the bar like family, and you'll enjoy it on the
spectacular terrace overlooking the sea. If that's not something special, I don't know what is. They also didn't overcharge for little extras, in fact, internet, newspapers (British), and bottled water at turn down were all FOC. We even received complimentary cookies, fruit and prosecco on arrival, and there were fresh flowers in the room on arrival.

Like many others, we did not want to walk the road to Amalfi as there is no side walk for most of the way, and the road is very narrow. However, the hotel has the free shuttle and the local bus service stops right outside the hotel, (Although you have to buy the tickets in town.) A taxi back to the hotel at night after dinner is arround 10-15 euros. Taxis are pricey if going to the surrounding towns because of the distance covered. Expect to pay 100 euros to Sorrento via a private car for example. I recommend booking a private car through the hotel rather than using a metered taxi as you will get a better price. We booked a transfer to the hotel from Naples Airport for 120 euros through the concierge department and it was very convenient. The local bus service is very good as well, running until around 10pm.

Where this hotel is stand out though, is in the service provided. For example, we were too late for one shuttle, and the other didn't get there in time for our bus to take us to the train station. No problem, they offered to drive us down at the best time for us. We called for food after hours. No problem, they made us toasted sandwiches and didn't even charge for them. They don't seem to know the meaning of the word no, and are in fact offering to do things for you before you even think of them! This is a truly professionally run operation, with a good management presence. I believe great service comes from the top down and this is certainly the case here.

If any one needs any other info on the hotel, the area or transportation, please do not hesitate to contact me. sarahjanelowe@lycos.com

• Liked — Service and hospitality
  • Disliked — Orange juice at breakfast
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
Rye, New Hampshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2008

After spending hours pouring over many reviews of hotels on Trip Advisor, we decided to stay at the Santa Caterina. WOW! This was an incredible hotel. We stayed 5 nights. Location is fantastic, full breakfast buffet is amazing, the scenery is to die for......every square inch of the hotel is clean, clean, clean. They offer a free shuttle to downtown Amalfi (within walking distance but this was a nice touch). The staff is so warm and welcoming. The location is great - close by the ferries (we went to Capri), close to town. They were running a special since the hotel was not at full capacity. April is a perfect time to go. This was an amazing experience and a grand way to spend our 25th wedding anniversary.
Stay here and you will not want for anything.

• Liked — Beautiful room, patio and clean
  • Disliked — Nothing - this was the best experience
  • Stayed April 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!