“Needs an upgrade!” 2 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
New York City, New York
“Needs an upgrade!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

I've stayed here back in May/June for part of my pre-wedding trip with my husband and friends. The hotel is extremely disappointing.

We stayed at the largest suite which was 1500USD a night. Totally not worth the money. We wouldn't mind paying for 1500 USD a night if the hotel provide a 5 stars experience and service. Some hotel staffs were nice but we've encountered a few that were very rude. Our suite was large and spacious, but extremely boring with no character. We did not feel cosy at all. Bathroom was decent size but jacuzzi looked old and dirty. I found hair in the bathtub upon check in. I didn't feel comfortable to use the jacuzzi due to its questionable cleanliness.

The Bar again lacks atmosphere and character. The quality of linens were horrible. It was hurting my skin and I am not even exaggerating. We did not have lunch/dinner at the hotel. I was quite disappointed at the quality of breakfast item and especially the quality of coffee. The food was uninspiring. We were in ITALY for God's sake!! How can you mess up the coffee!!

It's about 15 minutes walk to town, they do not offer convenient schedule for shuttle bus service. We did have a car with us but it is very difficult to find parking in town.

The view was nice, but definitely it's not the best view in amalfi coast.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (120)
Brooklyn, NY
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and it is truly Amazing. The service is great, courteous and friendly. The rooms are large and clean. The view is breathtaking. The staff really do go above and beyond to make sure your stay is as comfortable as possible. If you are planning on staying in Amalfi, definitely stay in this hotel, it is truly an experience.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Norwich, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

My GBF brought me for an unforgettably luxurious break here. Our arrival was unauspicious - it was all I could do to keep from vomiting all over the reception's elegant marble floor after our taxi driver's enthusiastic style of driving around the winding coastal road from Naples. The concierge took one look at my white face and upgraded us to the honeymoon suite. Never before has a honeymoon suite been less used for its intended purpose but hey. What's not to like about a free upgrade to a private suite of rooms with a balcony overlooking the Bay of Naples, a huge jacuzzi, and free champagne on arrival? And between us and the rest of the hotel, a pathway through a terrace of lemon trees, which in May was full of scented blossom.

The staff continued to spoil us throughout our stay and called us their favourite couple. They seemed not to mind two idiotic 25 year old Brits cantering along their marble floors making horse noises, reading 19 century novels at the breakfast table, or J's screams as he attempted a swim in the Med (apparently he usually only swims in the West Indian sea, the git). This is the sort of hotel in which you only really need to go out for dinner. Otherwise eat in so you can spend the rest of your time lounging on the private beach terrace, reading, sleeping, sunbathing, and swimming. And yes, the sea is about 6 storeys down, but there's a handy lift set into the rock which saves your legs and lungs.

Thanks, O Santa Catarina, for a perfect honeymoon.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Lexington, Kentucky
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

This is the finest hotel I've ever been to. Not only is it in a magical, beautiful place. It's where the stars stay (literally and figuratively!) This was a once in a lifetime trip. Save your $ it is worth every penny (euro). The food is great. Staff is wonderful. The views are breathtaking. And the hotel itself-lush! The memories/experiences you make here will forever be ingrained in who you are!

• Stayed October 2012
Connecticut
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My partner and I were traveling with our 20 year old niece who wanted ocean proximity. The swimming dock was quite lovely and we enjoyed the sunbathing. We also enjoyed the easy walk or cab to downtown Amalfi.

Both our rooms had "terraces" but the street noise was so loud and intrusive that we did not wind up using them. otherwise the rooms were quite comfortable.

The Concierge service was exceptional.

The hotel has two restaurants - the poolside "casual" place, and the more formal dining room off the main lobby. Both were, in my opinion, extremely overpriced (we're not cheap, but expected better quality and better waiter etiquette/service). The restaurants in Amalfi were quite pleasant and a better value.

One thought I will leave you with - we visited Ravello, up in the hills -- and fell in love with it. It was quiet, artistic, out of the way. If ocean proximity is not your driver, you may want to explore accomodations there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

So enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful hotel with fabulous views and an amazing pool. Above all the most fantastic staff, they really went above and beyond and were so welcoming and friendly. Loved it here and very much hope to return.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The first thing to mention about this hotel is the location. In Amalfi, as far as I know and I made a good amount of research, there is no other hotel with a private beach and direct sea access. This is what makes Santa Caterina unique in the area especially for those like me who want to enjoy the sea, although it is not the best sea you will swim in. It looks better on photos but I did not see anything very special about the sea here like a great color etc... The rooms are very nice but do not expect a modern style, like almost all hotels in Amalfi Coast, this one is also classically furnished, which is very nice though. The size of the room is really good, we stayed in a superior seaview one. The view is amazing from the breakfast and the rooms. The hotel is around 10 mins walk from downtown Amalfi, they have a shuttle too if you do not want to walk. The lunch is very nice and the service is great, staff is very friendly and smiling all day. My only question mark was the price tags. Almost 700 Euros per night could be a little too much and increase the expectations of the customers to a different level about the facilities. I believe the sea access part I mentionned is the main reason for the extra charge on the prices. Overall, I would recommend the hotel but definitely go with a standard sea view room, I do not see any reason to go up to 700 Euros or more unless you have a special occasion. All rooms have sea view anyway and the extra you will pay will be just for the size of the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!