“Mixed thoughts” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
Connecticut
“Mixed thoughts”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

My partner and I were traveling with our 20 year old niece who wanted ocean proximity. The swimming dock was quite lovely and we enjoyed the sunbathing. We also enjoyed the easy walk or cab to downtown Amalfi.

Both our rooms had "terraces" but the street noise was so loud and intrusive that we did not wind up using them. otherwise the rooms were quite comfortable.

The Concierge service was exceptional.

The hotel has two restaurants - the poolside "casual" place, and the more formal dining room off the main lobby. Both were, in my opinion, extremely overpriced (we're not cheap, but expected better quality and better waiter etiquette/service). The restaurants in Amalfi were quite pleasant and a better value.

One thought I will leave you with - we visited Ravello, up in the hills -- and fell in love with it. It was quiet, artistic, out of the way. If ocean proximity is not your driver, you may want to explore accomodations there.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

563 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (109)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

So enjoyed our stay here. Beautiful hotel with fabulous views and an amazing pool. Above all the most fantastic staff, they really went above and beyond and were so welcoming and friendly. Loved it here and very much hope to return.

Room Tip: Definitely go for a sea view.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Istanbul, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

The first thing to mention about this hotel is the location. In Amalfi, as far as I know and I made a good amount of research, there is no other hotel with a private beach and direct sea access. This is what makes Santa Caterina unique in the area especially for those like me who want to enjoy the sea, although it is not the best sea you will swim in. It looks better on photos but I did not see anything very special about the sea here like a great color etc... The rooms are very nice but do not expect a modern style, like almost all hotels in Amalfi Coast, this one is also classically furnished, which is very nice though. The size of the room is really good, we stayed in a superior seaview one. The view is amazing from the breakfast and the rooms. The hotel is around 10 mins walk from downtown Amalfi, they have a shuttle too if you do not want to walk. The lunch is very nice and the service is great, staff is very friendly and smiling all day. My only question mark was the price tags. Almost 700 Euros per night could be a little too much and increase the expectations of the customers to a different level about the facilities. I believe the sea access part I mentionned is the main reason for the extra charge on the prices. Overall, I would recommend the hotel but definitely go with a standard sea view room, I do not see any reason to go up to 700 Euros or more unless you have a special occasion. All rooms have sea view anyway and the extra you will pay will be just for the size of the room.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

This hotel is amazing. I travelled with my wife and three kids in August to amalfi and found the hotel just by browsing trip advisor. It is extraordinary in almost all respects: service levels are beyond anything I have experience, the suite (I had 37) swallowed us all and had a fantastic sea view, the breakfast terrace is amazing and the beach/rock face is good, well supervised and kid friendly - the elevator ride to it is also an amazing experience. There are things that could be better but few:so for me improvements in food (other than breakfast which is great) could be made for the price charged -particularly at lunch. The shuttle service to Amalfi is ok but not excellent - half hourly is too infrequent and the last run at half six gets you to town an hour before the restaurants open which is too long with kids. The timing also means that the is no longer a return shuttle for the ferries that return from a day away from amalfi which is poorly thought through. Particularly as the walk back (which is doable in 10 minutes) is not entirely safe for kids due ri lack of pavement for stretches. Everything else however is impeccable. Take a deep breath before asking for the bill!

• Stayed August 2013
Biggleswade, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

I booked this hotel for as part of a 2 centre holiday in Italy for my wife's 'special' birthday.

We booked through C'Italia, and after reading reviews on their site and on trip advisor I was pretty sure we'd made a good choice

From the second we arrived outside the hotel and a 'doorman' opened our car doors for us, and another took our cases, and another opened the hotel doors for us and....well you get the picture...the services was stunning.

We had a delightful room with sea view balcony( and what a view)

The room was fairly large, superbly clean, air conditioned and had a fair size bathroom with a massive Jacuzzi bath and huge shower,.

The 'beach club' which is actually on the rocks is something else...a short journey in the lift or a lovely walk though the Hotel's lemon grove and you are met by more staff that take you to a sun lounger (of your choice), lay out towels, adjust umbrellas, constantly bring you iced/lemon water and are always just there for anything else you may need...food drink etc

Breakfast was of course fantastic, with superb service again and I'm sure there must have been everything for everyone available including the ubiquitous bottles of Prosecco and a great Egg chef...and of course you get to eat it sat on the restaurant balcony overlooking the Amalfi coast...wow!

We only had one meal here (preferring a stroll down the hill to the town of Amalfi..though the hotel provides a courtesy bus for this as well!) a sort of late lunch / early dinner on the day we arrived, down by the beach club and it was superb.

We were looked after impeccably during our stay, even down to being handed a bottle of water each as were escorted to our car to take us back to 'normality'

A superb hotel, 10 out of 10 doesn't really cover it.

Room Tip: One with a Sea View Balcony
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

Amazing hotel with outstanding service, beautiful view, access to private beach, well located next to Amalfi, nicely decorated rooms, staff is very attentive to customers from restaurants staff to concierge
expensive though but similar price than top properties on sea side of Italian coast
recommand the Spa and lemon message simply amazing experience

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

After staying here for several days, I am convinced that this is the best hotel in the world. The service was absolutely impeccable, everyone remembered our names, our room, when we like to wake up, when we'll be out and when we'll return. Everything was done to our schedule and our preferences without us ever asking it! The location is divine, the room and food were luxurious, the pool and seaside platform make for an incredible Mediterranean experience. I rarely sleep well in hotel beds but the bed and pillows were so comfortable that I slept like a baby, especially after a long flight from the States. The continental breakfast buffet was the best I've ever had, with dozens of choices of meats, cheeses, and pastries, and the coffee was so good that we sought it out after coming home and are still buying. The dinners were cozy, delicious, and full of stunning nighttime views. I was completely relaxed, rejuvenated, and utterly happy with my stay. Some tips: arrive for breakfast early to get the best seats with the least direct sun. Make reservations for dinner early. Make sure to snack because the poolside bar closes earlier. Take advantage of the hourly shuttles into Amalfi. Don't bother bringing back take out because there aren't mini-fridges in the room.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!