“..Very comfortable stay in Amalfi..” 4 of 5 stars

Santa Caterina Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 SS Amalfitana, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“..Very comfortable stay in Amalfi..”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

The Santa Caterina in Amalfi is a very nice hotel.. It is a five minute walk or the shuttle goes up and down to town until 6.30pm. If you can't be bothered walking, a taxi is usually €10 and takes about 45 seconds! There's a wee path and stairs you can walk down to Amalfi town centre if you want to avoid walking round the roads with all the crazy motor bikers!

It could probably be described as a little bit 'tired' but the pool and sea platform was nice. The service was great and if you order drinks down at the pool - they come with incredible green olives..best olives I've ever tasted!

If we go back to Amalfi, we might try somewhere like the Luna Convento which is just a bit closer to town..

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

538 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (96)
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2012

This is a great hotel. I can't begin to say enough. They go out of your way to make you feel welcome and relaxed. They treat you like family. Before I go on, I will say one thing as a caution when booking. If you have any walking issues, accessability issues, make sure you call the hotel and ask for the main building when reserving. I didn't know and booked a junior suite and got a room in the villa which means walking to the other building. For me that was a major issue with back problems. The hotel went out of their way and bent over backwards to accomodate me, but what if it would not have been possible? My tripe would have been ruined, and I mean that in the technical sense. I could not have done the walk everyday for 6 days and there was no other way in or out. I would have had to try to find another hotel and probably pay for both. Or never leave my room (not an option). So beware about this. Otherwise, the food, the service, the room and the view, all are top notch. The staff is wonderful, Franco, the concierge is such a nice gentleman the front desk (forgot their names sorry) lovely lovely people and we hope to return. I can't say enough good things about this place. Thanks for a great week and for going above and beyond to accomodate me.

Room Tip: All I can say is that if you have trouble walking ask for a main building room, if you can walk then...
Greenwich, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2012

We have stayed in many luxurious places, with Exclusive Resorts and on our own, and this was possibly our favorite travel experience--ever. We were traveling with our three young adult children, 22-, 20, and 18, all of whom loved it as much as we did--an pleasing everyone in a large family is a tough mission to accomplish as anyone knows who's traveled with the whole family. The service at this resort made the trip. To a person, the staff was warm, helpful, sincere and gracious. It is also a beautiful combination of natural beauty and Italian culture. The hotel has an authentic Italian grace to it that many other luxury hotels lack, which made is special and unique for us.

Room Tip: The rooms vary significantly in their location and therefore you'll experience the hotel differe...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2012

This is the best hotel I have ever stayed at-- I usually don't go the high end route, I have never stayed at a Ritz or 4 seasons, but splurged on this hotel for the sea access and pool. Wow, did I get so much more -- the service, the beautiful, well maintained room with balcony (and I did get the lowest level room), the breakfast, wifi, shuttle to town (this could have been more frequent). My only gripe is they would give the man a menu with the prices, and the woman no prices...I complained, for MY higher paying successful career was funding this -- get with the times.

But the sea....ahhh. If you are going to be visiting other spots along the coast, and just sleeping in a hotel at night, might not be worth it. But if you are like us and want the sea and the sun and the relaxation....worth every penny. (we did positano and capri from sorrento prior to arriving in amalfi).

Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My wife and I stayed four nights on our 40th anniversary trip to Amalfi. We were very pleased with the hotel. The restaurant had the best fried Zucchini flower that I have ever tasted. Breakfast was always more than we could want, choices from the buffet were difficult to make as there was such a large selection along with fresh pastries. We were afraid dinner would be well above our budget but after eating one night in Amalfi. we were pleasantly surprised to find that the superior meal and service at the hotel was not much more than we had paid the night before. The hotel shuttle service into town was great but did not run for two hours after lunch. The walk to town is an easy five minute walk but beware of traffic and crazy drivers as there are no sidewalks. The room exceeded our expectations and we felt like housekeeping was there the minute we left the room. The pool is well worth the elevator ride to poolside and the pool restaurant made a reasonable price lunch. Would stay again if we were in Amalfi.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

Agree with the other reviews. My wife and I stayed here for 4 nights in May. We were in a room in the 80s, forget the number. The weather was less than ideal, but the stay was great nevertheless. I think the other reviewers already gave a great picture of the place, so I will just mention a few things others have not mentioned. In no way would these prevent us from returning.

1. 18 euro for drinks - expensive, but you're paying for the experience, the view, etc. Not just the drink.
2. Sheets - believe they were linen - actually fairly stiff/rough - I think they could either cut back on the starch or switch to more comfortable cotton sheets.
3. Everything is tile and stucco so you will hear doors slamming and footsteps and echo's.
4. Free breakfast except omelets - breakfast is very good, but kind of odd to give free champagne at breakfast - as much as you want and then to charge 10 euro for an omelet. For the extra say 100-150 euro they make per day on those who order an omelet, I'd rather just have them charge me an extra 5-10 euro a night to stay there.
5. Kids!!! - in the dinning room - there were a pretty high number of very young children/babies here when we stayed. It was strange that they list specifically that men must wear long pants (no jeans) for dinner and no cell phones allowed in the dinning room, and then there were babies crying and children screeching. I presume the goal of the rules is to create an elegant and quite atmosphere (which they do - with a piano player playing wonderful songs) but then why do they allow young children in high-chairs? Also, kids by the pool essentially monopolized the area for a while making my wife and I (as well as pretty much everyone else) avoid the immediate pool area until they left and it was quite again. Overall, I realize it's hard for the hotel to avoid children, but it is sort of like flying first class sitting next to a crying baby. Cannot do much about it, but makes the experience a little less than "first-class". Obviously, the parents are the ones that are to blame, but perhaps the hotel could discretely and quietly request those traveling with children use the pool only at certain hours or that children not be allowed in the dinning room after 8pm...I don't think many babies/young children want to be there anyway to be honest.

Don't take this review to be a negative. I listed 5 negatives, when there were 1000s of positives...from the amazing staff, the views, the prosecco before dinner, the flowers and gardens everywhere, the fruit and cookies in the rooms, the breakfasts, the views, the views, the views, etc. Overall 100% would return again.

New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012

The views are priceless. The luxury and classiness was just timeless. The service was warm, thoughtful...just exceptional. I wish I can think of something remotely negative to say. Most of all, Pino epitomized the standards of a maitre'd.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!