“Not going back” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #3 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
NYNY
“Not going back”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

Maybe it was the creepy UK boozers or the mean German mom with her 8 year old son she ignored during her dinner (she actually read a book while he just looked out at the sea.. all while wearing her Richard Gere tee shirt and no bra..and no smiles or affection..no she was not the nanny...looked too much like the boy) I digress...
Anyway the piano played way too late and the sheets were too itchy for me. I am not someone who thinks crunchy linen is a comfortable substitute for fine cotton like Frette Hotel sheets.
The room had a nice terrace but we could see and smell the boozers next to us and at the bar.... we could not wait to leave. Amalfi is close to Ravello...we will stay there next time.
The positives: the room was very clean and it was THE most expensive room we had from Capri to Rome..and not worth 1500 USD a night.
The staff was very good and the breakfast buffet was divine. The pool and the area around it were nice. I did not sleep well at this place and the shower was a handheld.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

546 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

The entire experience at Santa Caterina was amazing, from our first day when Francesco gave us the tour of the hotel immediately upon our arrival all the way thru our stay when they staff waited for us to return from dinner to thank us and say our goodbyes before we left the next day.

We stay at very nice hotels all over the world and this by far was the most amazing and personal experience we have ever had. The entire hotel is beautiful and the staff is always available to make sure ANYTHING you need is completely taken care of from dinner reservations to excursions. We even called them the night before we left the hotel and they booked us a personal driver to take us the the train station.

Francesco and Matteo are the absolute best! I must empahsize we are not easily impressed with good service but the service we received was so far above amazing I had to write a review.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We have had the pleasure of staying at Santa Caterina several times, although we had not been there for 9 years. Notwithstanding the time lapse, we were greeted as old friends by virtually every member of the wonderful staff. Our rooms were unique and well appointed, and the views were unparelleled. The food and the dining staff overseen by the ever present and delightful Pino were first rate.
Over the years we have consistently recommended this hotel to friends and can say without question that this is one of the finest hotels we have enjoyed in our travels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Actually stayed in May 2010 on our honeymoon. My wife and I still talk about it and dream that someday we will return. If I hear of someone going to Italy and they want to do Rome and one other location, I tell them to go to Amalfi and stay here. It is expensive, no doubt about it, but if you can afford it, you should stay here. We had a large room with beautiful white tiles overlooking the endless sea. You couldn't ask for a better view. Yes, the room had a tile floor and was somewhat spartan, but it's Italy and it's a coastal resort, so that's what it is.

The service was impeccable. We had drinks each night on the patio before either dining out or dining in the hotel. The wait staff knew our names and our drink orders after only sitting once. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was probably the best breakfast I had in all of the 5 hotels we stayed in during our two week stay throughout Italy. Try anything with lemon in it.

We ate two meals besides breakfast at the hotel during our 3 night stay. Dinner was excellent and again the wait staff was perfect. We ate lunch at the outdoor dining patio above the pool and it was also great. Expensive but it's a resort of course.

The pool area is unmatched on the Amalfi Coast. While the water in the pool was freezing, it was still great to lounge on sea level while only being a quick elevator ride away from the hotel.

In terms of accessibility to Amalfi, it is a 15-20 minute walk down a windy road, but we utilized the free hotel shuttle or a taxi. Taxis cost 10 euro each way, which is expensive for the distance, but it makes the ride faster and easier on the calves versus walking. Use the shuttle but it only runs in the mornings and early evenings. Amalfi is a good base from which to see the rest of the coast. You can catch a ferry very easily to most other port cities on the coast.

I don't know what else to say about this hotel other than when I daydream or when I feel down, I think of the time I spent here with my wife and smile. If I go back to Italy ever again, it will include a lengthy stop at this hotel. If I could retire here, I would.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Santa Catarina Hotel for an entire week this May. We had high expectations based on the reviews and word of mouth, but were completely blown away by the level of service. It far exceeded our expectations, as the hotel was classy and elegant, yet maintained a friendly atmosphere at the same time.

Breakfast every morning was a treat, as we delighted in anything you could wish for available to eat while enjoying the view from the open-air dining area. The staff was very attentive and treated us as if we were guests in their own homes.

Many other amenities were available to make the stay wonderful, including, but not limited to: shuttle service to and from the main town during the day (a short walk or even shorter taxi ride if not during the shuttle times), pool area with bar, restaurant, spa, and even a DVD library available upon request. The hotel staff goes the extra mile to make sure you have a wonderful stay.

This was the best experience I've ever had at a hotel and would gladly return.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I were treated to this luxury hotel as a gift for our wedding. Boy do I wish I had more money, because I would go back in a heartbeat. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. We stayed there for a couple days and the concierges all knew our names. The buffet breakfast was phenomenal-- kept us full all day! The view was amazing -- we missed it immediately when we left. We also enjoyed the private beach area. We didn't try the hotel restaurant, but heard it is delicious. So we probably can't afford to go back anytime soon, but we will definitely try to once we earn some money :).

Wiesbaden, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We recently stayed at the Santa Caterina Hotel in Amalfi, Italy and simply put, there are not enough superlatives to describe the experience. The staff took service to a level that we found to be unparalleled. The hotel is a family owned business and the employees act as though they are part of that family. It was common to find personnel who had worked there 15, 20, 30 and more years. The hotel restaurant featured dinners that made us look forward to returning the next evening for another culinary feast. If something was not on the menu, they were very amenable to preparing a meal to our wishes. For example, a day in advance, we requested tiramisu for dessert the next evening, and they were happy to grant my request. It was the best tiramisu we’ve ever had! Bruno, who played the piano during dinner, made two of our nights in the hotel restaurant absolutely unforgettable, as he played American and Italian songs with great talent and interpretation. The waiters also made every meal a special event and were friendly without interfering into the private feel of the dinner.

The hotel décor was elegant, and the painted ceramic tiles in the lobby were breath-taking. Lemon trees were blossoming during our stay, and their fragrance added to the ambiance. The rooms are clean and well decorated. The suite in which we stayed the final four nights was private, modern, and a welcome retreat from our busy lives. The large square Jacuzzi tub built into the floor of the suite was amazing.

Two additional comments for prospective guests – if you miss the hotel shuttle service, the 1 km cab ride from Amalfi to the hotel is 10 Euros. Secondly, bring your clothes pressed or bring clothes that travel well, because we were told the hotel cannot provide an iron due to an Italian fire code. To have two shirts and one pair of pants ironed costs 28 Euros.

Finally, because our wedding took place in the hotel garden, we must add that the hotel staff truly went the extra mile in ensuring that every detail of our wedding plan was executed to perfection. It was an amazing, magical stay at the Hotel Santa Catarina! We look forward to going back someday.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!