“Spectacular setting and service” 5 of 5 stars

Santa Caterina Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   9 SS Amalfitana, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #3 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Chicago, Illinois
“Spectacular setting and service”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2011

We have had the pleasure of staying at Santa Caterina several times, although we had not been there for 9 years. Notwithstanding the time lapse, we were greeted as old friends by virtually every member of the wonderful staff. Our rooms were unique and well appointed, and the views were unparelleled. The food and the dining staff overseen by the ever present and delightful Pino were first rate.
Over the years we have consistently recommended this hotel to friends and can say without question that this is one of the finest hotels we have enjoyed in our travels.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (110)
Hoboken, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2011

Actually stayed in May 2010 on our honeymoon. My wife and I still talk about it and dream that someday we will return. If I hear of someone going to Italy and they want to do Rome and one other location, I tell them to go to Amalfi and stay here. It is expensive, no doubt about it, but if you can afford it, you should stay here. We had a large room with beautiful white tiles overlooking the endless sea. You couldn't ask for a better view. Yes, the room had a tile floor and was somewhat spartan, but it's Italy and it's a coastal resort, so that's what it is.

The service was impeccable. We had drinks each night on the patio before either dining out or dining in the hotel. The wait staff knew our names and our drink orders after only sitting once. Breakfast was included in our room rate and was probably the best breakfast I had in all of the 5 hotels we stayed in during our two week stay throughout Italy. Try anything with lemon in it.

We ate two meals besides breakfast at the hotel during our 3 night stay. Dinner was excellent and again the wait staff was perfect. We ate lunch at the outdoor dining patio above the pool and it was also great. Expensive but it's a resort of course.

The pool area is unmatched on the Amalfi Coast. While the water in the pool was freezing, it was still great to lounge on sea level while only being a quick elevator ride away from the hotel.

In terms of accessibility to Amalfi, it is a 15-20 minute walk down a windy road, but we utilized the free hotel shuttle or a taxi. Taxis cost 10 euro each way, which is expensive for the distance, but it makes the ride faster and easier on the calves versus walking. Use the shuttle but it only runs in the mornings and early evenings. Amalfi is a good base from which to see the rest of the coast. You can catch a ferry very easily to most other port cities on the coast.

I don't know what else to say about this hotel other than when I daydream or when I feel down, I think of the time I spent here with my wife and smile. If I go back to Italy ever again, it will include a lengthy stop at this hotel. If I could retire here, I would.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Santa Catarina Hotel for an entire week this May. We had high expectations based on the reviews and word of mouth, but were completely blown away by the level of service. It far exceeded our expectations, as the hotel was classy and elegant, yet maintained a friendly atmosphere at the same time.

Breakfast every morning was a treat, as we delighted in anything you could wish for available to eat while enjoying the view from the open-air dining area. The staff was very attentive and treated us as if we were guests in their own homes.

Many other amenities were available to make the stay wonderful, including, but not limited to: shuttle service to and from the main town during the day (a short walk or even shorter taxi ride if not during the shuttle times), pool area with bar, restaurant, spa, and even a DVD library available upon request. The hotel staff goes the extra mile to make sure you have a wonderful stay.

This was the best experience I've ever had at a hotel and would gladly return.

Washington, DC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2011

My husband and I were treated to this luxury hotel as a gift for our wedding. Boy do I wish I had more money, because I would go back in a heartbeat. The staff was extremely friendly and welcoming. We stayed there for a couple days and the concierges all knew our names. The buffet breakfast was phenomenal-- kept us full all day! The view was amazing -- we missed it immediately when we left. We also enjoyed the private beach area. We didn't try the hotel restaurant, but heard it is delicious. So we probably can't afford to go back anytime soon, but we will definitely try to once we earn some money :).

Wiesbaden, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2011

We recently stayed at the Santa Caterina Hotel in Amalfi, Italy and simply put, there are not enough superlatives to describe the experience. The staff took service to a level that we found to be unparalleled. The hotel is a family owned business and the employees act as though they are part of that family. It was common to find personnel who had worked there 15, 20, 30 and more years. The hotel restaurant featured dinners that made us look forward to returning the next evening for another culinary feast. If something was not on the menu, they were very amenable to preparing a meal to our wishes. For example, a day in advance, we requested tiramisu for dessert the next evening, and they were happy to grant my request. It was the best tiramisu we’ve ever had! Bruno, who played the piano during dinner, made two of our nights in the hotel restaurant absolutely unforgettable, as he played American and Italian songs with great talent and interpretation. The waiters also made every meal a special event and were friendly without interfering into the private feel of the dinner.

The hotel décor was elegant, and the painted ceramic tiles in the lobby were breath-taking. Lemon trees were blossoming during our stay, and their fragrance added to the ambiance. The rooms are clean and well decorated. The suite in which we stayed the final four nights was private, modern, and a welcome retreat from our busy lives. The large square Jacuzzi tub built into the floor of the suite was amazing.

Two additional comments for prospective guests – if you miss the hotel shuttle service, the 1 km cab ride from Amalfi to the hotel is 10 Euros. Secondly, bring your clothes pressed or bring clothes that travel well, because we were told the hotel cannot provide an iron due to an Italian fire code. To have two shirts and one pair of pants ironed costs 28 Euros.

Finally, because our wedding took place in the hotel garden, we must add that the hotel staff truly went the extra mile in ensuring that every detail of our wedding plan was executed to perfection. It was an amazing, magical stay at the Hotel Santa Catarina! We look forward to going back someday.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 15, 2011

We stayed in this hotel for 6 nights between 1st May - 7th May. We had booked a partial sea view/garden view room. When we arrived we were showed to our room which was initially disappointing. It did have a parital sea view but the garden view was not what I would call a garden. It was overlooking some very untidy lemon groves. The road was also very close by and you could hear traffic constantly. The other disappointing factor was the restaurant was above this room (room number 66) so during our first night we hardly slept a wink between the traffic noise and the noise from the restuarant. Finally the heating is not indpendent in the main hotel and was still on so it was scoarching hot which meant we had to have the window open which compounded the noise.

The next morning I spoke to the concierge Genaro and explained the situation. He could not be more helpful. He upgraded the room to a full sea view room suite (room 74) for the duration of our stay and that completely changed the holiday for us.

The view was spectacular - the room was exquisite and extremely tranquil. We only had birdsong to interrupt our sleep.

The only very small negative to this room was that the bed was clearly 2 beds that had been pushed as one which meant that there was a bit of a crack in the middle. HOwever, I think I am being extremely picky on that front.

I would say that if you are intending on staying at this hotel then it's probably worth booking a more expensive room if you can, as the cheaper rooms don't really compare and to be honest had we stayed in the initial room we were given it would have altered our experience altogether.

That said, if we had paid the rack rate for the larger room which I think was to the tune of 550Euro -650 EUros a night then we would have felt hard done by.

This is a problem with hotels in the region I feel, they do not represent very good value for money. Although the views and the service were spectuacular and if you were staying in the region it is by far and away the best hotel there. To qualify this statement we did a rekke of Hotel Caruso/Il San Pietro/La Sireunse etc and hands down Santa Caterina won. For our initial rate of 297 Euros a night I think we were expecting a more luxurious experience. We are well seasoned travellers and have stayed in some of the best hotels in the world and the room we were initially given does not tally up with the rate that we paid.

That said, we were extremaly happy and satisfied with the service we received from this hotel and I would not heistate to recommend it. Breakfast was a real treat too!
All the other staff were extremely friendly and obliging. All the front of house staff were truly experts in providing excellent customer services. There was a conference in the hotel for a couple of days which meant that the business centre was out of use. My husband needed to check his work e-amil and we hadn't bought our laptop with us, and the lady on reception offered us her own personal laptop just as another example of the sort of kind and out of their way gestures that staff are willing to offer.

The gym although small has the most spectacular view of the ocean. The pool is a sea water pool. Its a on the small size and doesn't get any sun from abotu 4.00 pm but the deck is right on the ocean and which makes sunbathing a unique experience.

If you are transferring from Naples airport it is possible to get cheaper fares. We paid 90 Euros in the end and they are readily available online. Giovanni [-] ask for his driver Michael who was just the most delightful person you wil ever meet. He gives you a tour of the Naples bay area while you are in the car. Utterly charming.

Overall I would give this hotel a 4/5 rating. I deducted a point really for the value for money bit otherwise it really is the best hotel in the region.

Hope this helps!

Room Tip: rooms 66-69 are a no no 74 is lush
Bangkok, Thailand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2011

We were on a two weeks vacation in Italy driving through tourist destinations from Sicily to Rome ,and we have no doubt Santa Caterina in Amalfi is the best hotel we have stayed in out of some 9 hotels on our trip. Excellent personal service in all areas,excellent facilities.Just read reviews of guests who were there. A must stay!

Room Tip: Book a room with seaview,and early bird special.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Santa Caterina Hotel? Share your experiences!