“Perfect hotel for traveling the Amalfi Coast” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Luna Convento
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Via Pantaleone Comite, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #11 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
Long Island, NY
“Perfect hotel for traveling the Amalfi Coast”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2013

My wife and I booked a 3 night stay at the Luna Convento for our honeymoon. It is a beautiful and Charming hotel. It has wonderful views, a beautiful courtyard and the staff was very nice. If there was any drawback, it was the room we received upon check-in. Room 41 (and 42 will have the same problem) is located directly under the dining room, and at 6am when the staff starts setting up for breakfast, the dragging of tables on the floor makes a lot of noise and woke us up. If you are staying for more than one night, I would suggest avoiding these rooms. If you are staying for a single night, chances are you'll be up early and the noise probably won't be an issue. The good news is, the rooms both have fantastic views from their balconies. When I approached the staff with my issue, they were very gracious and moved our bags for us while we were out enjoying the sights of Amalfi. A stay at the Hotel Luna will not be disappointing

Room Tip: see comments above
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

353 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2013

Especially if you are driving this hotel is fantastic. Just leave your car in the small pull in access, get the lift to the reception (in a wonderful cloister) and hand over the key. The parking costs (€20 per day) but given how scary the roads are, having someone park (when there is no free parking), bring your car round when you need it and deal with your bags after a long day is worth it.The hotel is very well kept, the rooms have an amazing sea and coastal view (as does the breakfast balcony). The most wonderul thing for us was the private access to the sea across the road. Forget having a pool (although there is one), taking a ladder into the Med at 8.30 before a varied and tasty breakfast was priceless. The staff were also all dedicated to providing us with any information we might need.

jimmhk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2013

just stayed here on a walking holiday...the Luna Conventa has lovely staff, a good breakfast buffet but its location on the busy road is a little noisy, and there is a dangerous walk to either the tunnel that takes you to the town or the road that goes down there...the room I stayed in was comfortable but bare...the Ibsen suite it was called and some of the furniture isa little worn, and the bathroom could be better...overall though , its a four out of five.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2013

This hotel delivers on all fronts. From the amazing location, to the oceanview rooms and the amazing breakfast, it has everything a couple could ask for and more.

We got engaged here in August 2012. I booked this trip and had e-mailed the hotel in advance to advise them I was going to propose while there. They upgraded our room for free to a superior ocean-view room. The room had amazing ocean-views and you could see the city of Amalfi from the balcony.

Breakfast was excellent with lots of variety for every taste. Had both warm and cold foods. The balcony of the restaurant is perched over the ocean and also delivers an amazing view.

Rooms are basic and clean, typical Italian style. No complaints. Internet only available in the courtyard was a downside.

The courtyard is beautiful to hang out in before going out into town or to check your e-mail!

The pool is just a few steps down from the hotel and overlooks the ocean with access to the ocean also if you prefer to swim in the ocean. Both excellent choices!

The hotel is right off the main street. We took the bus in from Milan which was challenging but an adventure. We asked the driver several times to let us off at the hotel, but the language barrier was too big! We got out twice a t the wrong spot but in the end found it!

We rented a motorboat for the day for 50 euros (+ gas which was close to 50 EUR also), probably the best thing we did all week! We drove the boat all over the coastline, stopping in several places and swimming in some small coves! Highly recommended, esp since neither of us had driven a boat before (it's easy!)

Don't hesitate to book!!! THIS IS THE BEST HOTEL IN AMALFI!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Henrietta, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in Rome and Amalfi this year. Our tour operator, Perillo Tours, arranged for us to stay at this former convent for 4 nights in early October 2013. I read and absorbed almost every posted trip advisor review before our arrival. We were both excited to be staying at the Luna Convento. This is a very small 40+ room hotel as close to the ocean edge you can get. The hotel entrance is a very small non descript door and small hallway leading to two small elevators taking you to the 2nd floor reception desk, restaurant and courtyard (cloister). We were warmly greeted by Aldo who, because we were part of a 30 person tour group, asked us to make ourselves comfortable in the cloister while waiting for the entire group to assemble. Once all assembled, our keys were passed out and we were each escorted to our rooms.
About the rooms. Due to the construction originally as a convent in the 12th century and converted to a hotel in 1920's, the hotel does not resemble your normal boring square box we are all used to. The rooms all face the ocean with the most breath taking view of the town of Amalfi to the west and the Amalfi coast to the east where you will see Ravello and Salerno. You will read in other reviews about rooms that amazed and rooms that were probably used to send bad nuns to be punished. We only heard of one couple who were not happy with their room. I, on the other hand, wanted to make sure we had a balcony room to enjoy sitting and taking in the view. I tried to make sure our room had a balcony by attempting to upgrade through Perillo but they said that they pay a flat discounted rate only for standard rooms. If I wanted to upgrade, I should speak directly with the hotel staff upon arrival. Instead, I sent a short email to the hotel asking if it was possible to pay additional money to guarantee a room with a balcony. I didn't expect a reply but was pleasantly surprised by a response from Aldo the next day. In the email, he explained that it would not be possible to upgrade since the hotel was booked full for the week. He did assure me that they would make every effort to accomodate us with a desirable room. I was appreciative of the reply and hoped for the best.
The best is what we received. We were booked into room 39. My wife and I have traveled extensively for the past 30 years and have stayed in some impressive rooms and have rented beautiful houses and condos but this room was by far the most awsome room in the hotel. Not only did we get our balcony but also 2 terraces, one on the first level and another on the second level. Each were tiled with hand painted blue tiles overlooking the Amalfi coast with a 240 degree panorama view. The downstairs terrace that could accomodate at least 30 people had a simple table and chairs but the upstairs terrace had two comfortable padded chairs in a small room attached and looking out to the outside portion seperated by a motorized storm screen and huge sliding glass door. There we found two lounge chairs. Our bedroom had two levels with jacuzzi bath/shower, desk and chair which sat next to a floor to ceiling double door window. It simply was amazing. We almost felt embarrased at our good fortune vs. the other rooms our tour group got but we got over that quickly.
I also read about the questionable air conditioning systems at the hotel. I believe every room had its own electric non window air conditioning system that kept our room very cool. I did not hear of any complaints from others in our group. Only one couple complained about their room and were quickly escorted to another room.
The hotel offers a free breakfast buffet each morning. It has a huge variety of fruits, breads, meats, cheeses and cereals that should meet everyones morning needs as well as some of the best espresso you can find anywhere. The restaurant in the hotel where it is served has an expansive open view of Amalfi one could not put a price on. The staff was always attentive and cheerful.
They have a small bar off of the restaurant with a very comfortable sitting area or you could take your drinks out to the open cloister/courtyard. Once again, I can not say enough about every staff member from the bellhops, desk clerks, restauant staff and cleaning staff. Everyone goes out of their way to greet you in the traditional Italian greetings.
There is a restaurant across the road in the tower. Six of us decided to try the restaurant since we had been touring Positano and Sorrento all day and did not want to venture into Amalfi. I was looking forward to a nice dinner with friends. The food was delicious but it appeared that the service was less than excellent. There were not more than 12 people in the room which, by the way, was a beautiful open space also with the most awsome view of the coast. As I said, the staff was out of sorts that night. I will not go into detail but the delivery did not match the quality of the food or venue.
40 steps or so below the restaurant is the hotel pool. We did not visit until just before sunset one night but it looked inviting with a very small private beach area and stone platform to enter and exit the ocean. I am sure it would have been great to use but it was starting to get cooler that time of year. From the clarity of the water, snorkelers would be wise to take their gear with them.
On the second last night of our stay, we decided to invite some people to our terrace for wine. I purchased a couple of bottles of the local wine from the bar downstairs and they were happy to deliver them along with glasses and snacks to our room. It was wonderful sitting there, drinking wine and watching the sun go down in the west. After an hour we all decided to go into Amalfi and try one of the suggested local restaurants. Upon leaving, my wife slipped on the corner of the bed spread touching the laminated portion of the floor, falling backward and hitting the corner of the entrance to the bathroom. The front desk was informed that my wife had injured herself and that we needed to go to an emergency room for an xray. By the time we arrived, a bellhop and car were waiting for us to take us to the emergent care facilitiy just a mile east of the hotel. He waited for us while she was xrayed and found to have a broken humerus. Upon our return, we were informed that a car and driver/interpretor would be at our service the next morning to take us to the hospital outside Salerno. Once we got to our room, the night manager called and said, despite the restaurant being closed, would we like some food and beverages sent up on the hotel since we missed our dinner. The desk then helped us contact Perillo tours and Travel Guard via phone as well as offer up their fax so we could get the proper insurance paperwork for our visit to the hospital the next day.
The next morning we found a late model Mercedes driven by Christiane who turned out to be the brother of the night clerk waiting for us at the hotel entrance.He turned out to be worth his weight in gold. He stayed with us every minute of the 5 hour process interpreting for us all the way. My wife held it together until we parted as she hugged him goodbye. That night we also recieved room service on the hotel and rested as comfortably as possible until we had to leave for the airport.
I included this story because under normal circumstances a good hotel should be able to accomodate your normal needs. It is when something goes wrong that a truly good hotel and staff rises to the occasion and goes out of their way to make the situation as pleasant as possible. This hotel and all of their staff earned an A+. I highly recommend this hotel for its location, food, and most of all its accomodating and friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed in room 23 at the Luna Convento for four nights in September. Our suite was lovely; it was a junior suite (room 23) with two rooms, a decent sized hall with storage and a bathroom with separate bath and shower. The view was to die for! We looked straight out over Amalfi and the harbour and it was just lovely to watch the sun rise and set over the steep countryside. The room itself was comfortable (we like hard Italian beds!) and the air-conditioning and sound proofing worked a treat.

The cloister is a lovely place for a drink (watch the mosquitoes though!) but as a wifi hub (the hotel has two; it and the bar) it's not up to scratch. I know hotel wifi is often slow but this was stoneage slow. A hotel of that calibre needs to a) get faster wifi, and b) have it available in the rooms. Back to the cloister, the central well even has a family of turtles living in it whcih kept our son endlessly amused.

The breakfast was very good - a wide range of pastries, fruit and cheese and cold meats. They even did very good bacon and eggs - a rarity in Italy! My only complaint with breakfast was that the service towards us was a little frosty until they figured out that our son (4 years old) was capable of behaving himself in the restaurant. Until that point they seated us inside rather than on the balcony which, considering, we were paying for a suite was more than a little churlish!

We ate at the restaurant one night for dinner and I'd recommend it on the basis of the view alone. The food was fine, not excellent, ... but then again we found that a lot of the restaurants in Amalfi were a little underwhelming. If you want great food in such a touristy area, make the effort to explore the backstreets of the town! The menu was very traditional Campania - clam spaghetti, lots of seafood including a casserole for two (they tried to charge us twice for this on the bill but we happy to amend it when we pointed out the error). One thing that I did like about the restaurant menu was that the wine was not exorbitantly priced which at a place like this is always the danger.

The pool was another highlight even if you have to run across the scary road to get there. We really liked being able to use the ladders from the pool area to access the sea. The pool attendant, Pepe, was very friendly and even brought out an inflatable pool toy for our son to play with. Pepe can also arrange boat hire for you, although when we compared his prices to those downtown his options were on the expensive side.

Overall, Luna Convento is beautiful faded grandeur. It is not a Hilton so do not expect everything to be smooth and in full working order. You might get stuck in a lift (we did) and the door might fall off the wardrobe (it did). But, the views are GLORIOUS. The pool is a true slice of luxury, and the cloister is a lovely place to read and relax (albeit with s-l-o-w wifi).

Room Tip: Room 23 has a wonderful view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Hotel Luna Convento in Amalfi recently.
As the name suggests it used to be a Convent and still has a private chapel which is used for Masses regularly.
The hotel is quirky and different from the more international type of place the staff are local, the breakfast excellent, and the location means wonderful views are visible for the bedrooms.
Light spaces, high ceilings, comfortable bed, scrupulously clean bathroom and character with each room being different - what more could you want.
Even when there was no hot water one morning the staff had a typically Italian, yet amusing response. "I am sorry Signora it is a penance of the convent"! What can you say!
I would recommend to anyone who likes authentically Italian hospitality.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the lovely harbour view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Luna Convento? Share your experiences!