“Luna Convento October 2013” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Luna Convento
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Via Pantaleone Comite, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Henrietta, New York
“Luna Convento October 2013”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary in Rome and Amalfi this year. Our tour operator, Perillo Tours, arranged for us to stay at this former convent for 4 nights in early October 2013. I read and absorbed almost every posted trip advisor review before our arrival. We were both excited to be staying at the Luna Convento. This is a very small 40+ room hotel as close to the ocean edge you can get. The hotel entrance is a very small non descript door and small hallway leading to two small elevators taking you to the 2nd floor reception desk, restaurant and courtyard (cloister). We were warmly greeted by Aldo who, because we were part of a 30 person tour group, asked us to make ourselves comfortable in the cloister while waiting for the entire group to assemble. Once all assembled, our keys were passed out and we were each escorted to our rooms.
About the rooms. Due to the construction originally as a convent in the 12th century and converted to a hotel in 1920's, the hotel does not resemble your normal boring square box we are all used to. The rooms all face the ocean with the most breath taking view of the town of Amalfi to the west and the Amalfi coast to the east where you will see Ravello and Salerno. You will read in other reviews about rooms that amazed and rooms that were probably used to send bad nuns to be punished. We only heard of one couple who were not happy with their room. I, on the other hand, wanted to make sure we had a balcony room to enjoy sitting and taking in the view. I tried to make sure our room had a balcony by attempting to upgrade through Perillo but they said that they pay a flat discounted rate only for standard rooms. If I wanted to upgrade, I should speak directly with the hotel staff upon arrival. Instead, I sent a short email to the hotel asking if it was possible to pay additional money to guarantee a room with a balcony. I didn't expect a reply but was pleasantly surprised by a response from Aldo the next day. In the email, he explained that it would not be possible to upgrade since the hotel was booked full for the week. He did assure me that they would make every effort to accomodate us with a desirable room. I was appreciative of the reply and hoped for the best.
The best is what we received. We were booked into room 39. My wife and I have traveled extensively for the past 30 years and have stayed in some impressive rooms and have rented beautiful houses and condos but this room was by far the most awsome room in the hotel. Not only did we get our balcony but also 2 terraces, one on the first level and another on the second level. Each were tiled with hand painted blue tiles overlooking the Amalfi coast with a 240 degree panorama view. The downstairs terrace that could accomodate at least 30 people had a simple table and chairs but the upstairs terrace had two comfortable padded chairs in a small room attached and looking out to the outside portion seperated by a motorized storm screen and huge sliding glass door. There we found two lounge chairs. Our bedroom had two levels with jacuzzi bath/shower, desk and chair which sat next to a floor to ceiling double door window. It simply was amazing. We almost felt embarrased at our good fortune vs. the other rooms our tour group got but we got over that quickly.
I also read about the questionable air conditioning systems at the hotel. I believe every room had its own electric non window air conditioning system that kept our room very cool. I did not hear of any complaints from others in our group. Only one couple complained about their room and were quickly escorted to another room.
The hotel offers a free breakfast buffet each morning. It has a huge variety of fruits, breads, meats, cheeses and cereals that should meet everyones morning needs as well as some of the best espresso you can find anywhere. The restaurant in the hotel where it is served has an expansive open view of Amalfi one could not put a price on. The staff was always attentive and cheerful.
They have a small bar off of the restaurant with a very comfortable sitting area or you could take your drinks out to the open cloister/courtyard. Once again, I can not say enough about every staff member from the bellhops, desk clerks, restauant staff and cleaning staff. Everyone goes out of their way to greet you in the traditional Italian greetings.
There is a restaurant across the road in the tower. Six of us decided to try the restaurant since we had been touring Positano and Sorrento all day and did not want to venture into Amalfi. I was looking forward to a nice dinner with friends. The food was delicious but it appeared that the service was less than excellent. There were not more than 12 people in the room which, by the way, was a beautiful open space also with the most awsome view of the coast. As I said, the staff was out of sorts that night. I will not go into detail but the delivery did not match the quality of the food or venue.
40 steps or so below the restaurant is the hotel pool. We did not visit until just before sunset one night but it looked inviting with a very small private beach area and stone platform to enter and exit the ocean. I am sure it would have been great to use but it was starting to get cooler that time of year. From the clarity of the water, snorkelers would be wise to take their gear with them.
On the second last night of our stay, we decided to invite some people to our terrace for wine. I purchased a couple of bottles of the local wine from the bar downstairs and they were happy to deliver them along with glasses and snacks to our room. It was wonderful sitting there, drinking wine and watching the sun go down in the west. After an hour we all decided to go into Amalfi and try one of the suggested local restaurants. Upon leaving, my wife slipped on the corner of the bed spread touching the laminated portion of the floor, falling backward and hitting the corner of the entrance to the bathroom. The front desk was informed that my wife had injured herself and that we needed to go to an emergency room for an xray. By the time we arrived, a bellhop and car were waiting for us to take us to the emergent care facilitiy just a mile east of the hotel. He waited for us while she was xrayed and found to have a broken humerus. Upon our return, we were informed that a car and driver/interpretor would be at our service the next morning to take us to the hospital outside Salerno. Once we got to our room, the night manager called and said, despite the restaurant being closed, would we like some food and beverages sent up on the hotel since we missed our dinner. The desk then helped us contact Perillo tours and Travel Guard via phone as well as offer up their fax so we could get the proper insurance paperwork for our visit to the hospital the next day.
The next morning we found a late model Mercedes driven by Christiane who turned out to be the brother of the night clerk waiting for us at the hotel entrance.He turned out to be worth his weight in gold. He stayed with us every minute of the 5 hour process interpreting for us all the way. My wife held it together until we parted as she hugged him goodbye. That night we also recieved room service on the hotel and rested as comfortably as possible until we had to leave for the airport.
I included this story because under normal circumstances a good hotel should be able to accomodate your normal needs. It is when something goes wrong that a truly good hotel and staff rises to the occasion and goes out of their way to make the situation as pleasant as possible. This hotel and all of their staff earned an A+. I highly recommend this hotel for its location, food, and most of all its accomodating and friendly staff.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
Sydney
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed in room 23 at the Luna Convento for four nights in September. Our suite was lovely; it was a junior suite (room 23) with two rooms, a decent sized hall with storage and a bathroom with separate bath and shower. The view was to die for! We looked straight out over Amalfi and the harbour and it was just lovely to watch the sun rise and set over the steep countryside. The room itself was comfortable (we like hard Italian beds!) and the air-conditioning and sound proofing worked a treat.

The cloister is a lovely place for a drink (watch the mosquitoes though!) but as a wifi hub (the hotel has two; it and the bar) it's not up to scratch. I know hotel wifi is often slow but this was stoneage slow. A hotel of that calibre needs to a) get faster wifi, and b) have it available in the rooms. Back to the cloister, the central well even has a family of turtles living in it whcih kept our son endlessly amused.

The breakfast was very good - a wide range of pastries, fruit and cheese and cold meats. They even did very good bacon and eggs - a rarity in Italy! My only complaint with breakfast was that the service towards us was a little frosty until they figured out that our son (4 years old) was capable of behaving himself in the restaurant. Until that point they seated us inside rather than on the balcony which, considering, we were paying for a suite was more than a little churlish!

We ate at the restaurant one night for dinner and I'd recommend it on the basis of the view alone. The food was fine, not excellent, ... but then again we found that a lot of the restaurants in Amalfi were a little underwhelming. If you want great food in such a touristy area, make the effort to explore the backstreets of the town! The menu was very traditional Campania - clam spaghetti, lots of seafood including a casserole for two (they tried to charge us twice for this on the bill but we happy to amend it when we pointed out the error). One thing that I did like about the restaurant menu was that the wine was not exorbitantly priced which at a place like this is always the danger.

The pool was another highlight even if you have to run across the scary road to get there. We really liked being able to use the ladders from the pool area to access the sea. The pool attendant, Pepe, was very friendly and even brought out an inflatable pool toy for our son to play with. Pepe can also arrange boat hire for you, although when we compared his prices to those downtown his options were on the expensive side.

Overall, Luna Convento is beautiful faded grandeur. It is not a Hilton so do not expect everything to be smooth and in full working order. You might get stuck in a lift (we did) and the door might fall off the wardrobe (it did). But, the views are GLORIOUS. The pool is a true slice of luxury, and the cloister is a lovely place to read and relax (albeit with s-l-o-w wifi).

Room Tip: Room 23 has a wonderful view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Hotel Luna Convento in Amalfi recently.
As the name suggests it used to be a Convent and still has a private chapel which is used for Masses regularly.
The hotel is quirky and different from the more international type of place the staff are local, the breakfast excellent, and the location means wonderful views are visible for the bedrooms.
Light spaces, high ceilings, comfortable bed, scrupulously clean bathroom and character with each room being different - what more could you want.
Even when there was no hot water one morning the staff had a typically Italian, yet amusing response. "I am sorry Signora it is a penance of the convent"! What can you say!
I would recommend to anyone who likes authentically Italian hospitality.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the lovely harbour view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you are following my reviews, after Massa Lubrense (Villa Pina) we had booked 2 nights here.(18-20 Sept.) We could have stayed a lifetime!!!! Just the idea of staying in a convent/monastry founded by St. Francis of Assisi in 1220 is mind-boggling but it is breathtaking to come up in the lift to the reception (it is above street-level) which is actually in the cloisters. Our room was unfortunately not ready so we were offered refreshments in the cloister courtyard and were able to look forward to investigating the rest of this lovely hotel.We got room number 18, huge balcony and sea-view. We ate mostly in their restaurant, Torre Saracena across the road, i haven't reviewed it as it belongs to the hotel, but the food was excellent with fresh fish from the region and impeccable staff. We also made use of their private pool down by the sea and would thoroughly recommend the whole. It's a little pricey but you can't stay in an almost 800-year-old convent for nothing (even if you are a monk!)
If the hotel owners read this- Gracie Mille!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is situated on a headland just east of the centre of Amalfi, in fairly easy walking distance from the town (though bear in mind there is no pavement!): entrance from street level is via a lift which takes you to reception, in one of the cloisters. The history of this wonderful building now begins to become clear as the cloisters surround a beautiful courtyard, set with tables and chairs: a fine spot for a pre-dinner drink. We were initially placed in room 12: a 'standard' room and though fairly small, it had a beautiful painted ceiling and one of the original arched windows. It was however right by the lift lobby, and being above a bend in the road was too noisy for light sleepers such as us. We asked for a move and this was facilitated the next morning without fuss. We were given room 7 which was ideal as we were then next to our friends. Again, a small room, but it did have a tiny balcony with views across the bay, and was much more peaceful. Breakfast was a generous buffet affair, with the option of sitting on an outside terrace on a fine morning. We loved this hotel: the service was polite, friendly and attentive and the hotel itself a real gem. We especially liked the tiled floors throughout, the painted ceilings in the restaurant, and the sense of history. It was also refreshing to note the lack of nagging notices in the bedroom and bathroom: the towels were changed regularly without the plea to consider the environment (which actually translates as a plea to consider the hotel's laundry bill!) Would return like a shot and recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had a deluxe sea view room that was great as it had a separate lounge and small balcony with great views. This is a 400 year old building and the bathroom was not as modern as you might expect but fine. The location is a five minute walk to town. The swimming pool is across the road and down a staircase right beside the sea. I swam in the sea but the pool looked very inviting. Breakfast was great on the balcony over looking the Med

Room Tip: overlooking the sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything and I mean everything was excellent. The view from the room took my breath away. The staff was amazing and helpful in every way possible. Pepe who managed the pool was a very gracious and wonderful human being and very helpful with my wife who was not feeling to well. The pool and the swimming off the rocks into the sea was fantastic. The breakfasts were off the hook and my favorite meal of the day. I wish I could go back every summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna Convento? Share your experiences!