“Worth it for the views and pool alone” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Luna Convento
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   33 Via Pantaleone Comite, 84011 Amalfi, Italy   |
Ranked #12 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
Sydney
“Worth it for the views and pool alone”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We stayed in room 23 at the Luna Convento for four nights in September. Our suite was lovely; it was a junior suite (room 23) with two rooms, a decent sized hall with storage and a bathroom with separate bath and shower. The view was to die for! We looked straight out over Amalfi and the harbour and it was just lovely to watch the sun rise and set over the steep countryside. The room itself was comfortable (we like hard Italian beds!) and the air-conditioning and sound proofing worked a treat.

The cloister is a lovely place for a drink (watch the mosquitoes though!) but as a wifi hub (the hotel has two; it and the bar) it's not up to scratch. I know hotel wifi is often slow but this was stoneage slow. A hotel of that calibre needs to a) get faster wifi, and b) have it available in the rooms. Back to the cloister, the central well even has a family of turtles living in it whcih kept our son endlessly amused.

The breakfast was very good - a wide range of pastries, fruit and cheese and cold meats. They even did very good bacon and eggs - a rarity in Italy! My only complaint with breakfast was that the service towards us was a little frosty until they figured out that our son (4 years old) was capable of behaving himself in the restaurant. Until that point they seated us inside rather than on the balcony which, considering, we were paying for a suite was more than a little churlish!

We ate at the restaurant one night for dinner and I'd recommend it on the basis of the view alone. The food was fine, not excellent, ... but then again we found that a lot of the restaurants in Amalfi were a little underwhelming. If you want great food in such a touristy area, make the effort to explore the backstreets of the town! The menu was very traditional Campania - clam spaghetti, lots of seafood including a casserole for two (they tried to charge us twice for this on the bill but we happy to amend it when we pointed out the error). One thing that I did like about the restaurant menu was that the wine was not exorbitantly priced which at a place like this is always the danger.

The pool was another highlight even if you have to run across the scary road to get there. We really liked being able to use the ladders from the pool area to access the sea. The pool attendant, Pepe, was very friendly and even brought out an inflatable pool toy for our son to play with. Pepe can also arrange boat hire for you, although when we compared his prices to those downtown his options were on the expensive side.

Overall, Luna Convento is beautiful faded grandeur. It is not a Hilton so do not expect everything to be smooth and in full working order. You might get stuck in a lift (we did) and the door might fall off the wardrobe (it did). But, the views are GLORIOUS. The pool is a true slice of luxury, and the cloister is a lovely place to read and relax (albeit with s-l-o-w wifi).

Room Tip: Room 23 has a wonderful view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

337 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (44)
London, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Hotel Luna Convento in Amalfi recently.
As the name suggests it used to be a Convent and still has a private chapel which is used for Masses regularly.
The hotel is quirky and different from the more international type of place the staff are local, the breakfast excellent, and the location means wonderful views are visible for the bedrooms.
Light spaces, high ceilings, comfortable bed, scrupulously clean bathroom and character with each room being different - what more could you want.
Even when there was no hot water one morning the staff had a typically Italian, yet amusing response. "I am sorry Signora it is a penance of the convent"! What can you say!
I would recommend to anyone who likes authentically Italian hospitality.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the lovely harbour view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you are following my reviews, after Massa Lubrense (Villa Pina) we had booked 2 nights here.(18-20 Sept.) We could have stayed a lifetime!!!! Just the idea of staying in a convent/monastry founded by St. Francis of Assisi in 1220 is mind-boggling but it is breathtaking to come up in the lift to the reception (it is above street-level) which is actually in the cloisters. Our room was unfortunately not ready so we were offered refreshments in the cloister courtyard and were able to look forward to investigating the rest of this lovely hotel.We got room number 18, huge balcony and sea-view. We ate mostly in their restaurant, Torre Saracena across the road, i haven't reviewed it as it belongs to the hotel, but the food was excellent with fresh fish from the region and impeccable staff. We also made use of their private pool down by the sea and would thoroughly recommend the whole. It's a little pricey but you can't stay in an almost 800-year-old convent for nothing (even if you are a monk!)
If the hotel owners read this- Gracie Mille!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is situated on a headland just east of the centre of Amalfi, in fairly easy walking distance from the town (though bear in mind there is no pavement!): entrance from street level is via a lift which takes you to reception, in one of the cloisters. The history of this wonderful building now begins to become clear as the cloisters surround a beautiful courtyard, set with tables and chairs: a fine spot for a pre-dinner drink. We were initially placed in room 12: a 'standard' room and though fairly small, it had a beautiful painted ceiling and one of the original arched windows. It was however right by the lift lobby, and being above a bend in the road was too noisy for light sleepers such as us. We asked for a move and this was facilitated the next morning without fuss. We were given room 7 which was ideal as we were then next to our friends. Again, a small room, but it did have a tiny balcony with views across the bay, and was much more peaceful. Breakfast was a generous buffet affair, with the option of sitting on an outside terrace on a fine morning. We loved this hotel: the service was polite, friendly and attentive and the hotel itself a real gem. We especially liked the tiled floors throughout, the painted ceilings in the restaurant, and the sense of history. It was also refreshing to note the lack of nagging notices in the bedroom and bathroom: the towels were changed regularly without the plea to consider the environment (which actually translates as a plea to consider the hotel's laundry bill!) Would return like a shot and recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had a deluxe sea view room that was great as it had a separate lounge and small balcony with great views. This is a 400 year old building and the bathroom was not as modern as you might expect but fine. The location is a five minute walk to town. The swimming pool is across the road and down a staircase right beside the sea. I swam in the sea but the pool looked very inviting. Breakfast was great on the balcony over looking the Med

Room Tip: overlooking the sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything and I mean everything was excellent. The view from the room took my breath away. The staff was amazing and helpful in every way possible. Pepe who managed the pool was a very gracious and wonderful human being and very helpful with my wife who was not feeling to well. The pool and the swimming off the rocks into the sea was fantastic. The breakfasts were off the hook and my favorite meal of the day. I wish I could go back every summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is utterly beautiful in every way. The staff took care of my every need with out exception they were all attentive and charming. I booked a small economy room and was thrilled to have two windows with extraordinary sea views even whilst sitting in bed! It's difficult to describe the central courtyard but it felt like soul food just sitting there. There's something about the ancient architecture and its history of St Francis that's creates a feeling of peace and enchantment. I was travelling alone which is not the easiest thing to do but the staff made me feel like I was at home with friends which put me totally at ease. I was a bit concerned that I couldn't afford the restaurant but was delighted to discover I could. Huge fresh king prawns cooked to my exact specification were about £21 and the view from the restaurant terrace left me speechless. The pool area is also divine and swimming in the pool was like swimming in silk.. I asked Pepe (pool attendant) for information on the local beaches and he proudly told me where he was born which he described in as "the best place in the world" I asked him how I could get there are he arranged a free boat for me, no hidden charge or commission whatsoever just pure kind heartedness! I'm not publicising Pepe's birthplace place because it was utterly beautiful and i don't want to spoil its charm by swamping it with tourists so you'll need to ask Pepe yourself! I will be returning as soon as I possibly can, Amalfi captured my heart.
I'd also like to add that I was very frightened to travel on the Italian roads and its quite a challenging journey. I shopped around on the Internet and found a superb company which offered the best rate and they are willing to negotiate if you are a solo traveller. Both drivers took meticulous care and travelled very slowly around the hair pin bends. Their cars were very luxurious and they took the time to explain the various areas we were travelling through. I usually get car sick but they took such care that I was fine and I can even say quite relaxed during the journey! there is no direct way to get to Amalfi from Naples airport so I highly recommend this company:
info@limoservicesorrento.com
Telephone Coppola Lucio 0039/3497573782

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Luna Convento? Share your experiences!