“Delightful place” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 30 hotels in Amalfi
London, England, United Kingdom
“Delightful place”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2013

We stayed for a week at the Hotel Luna Convento in Amalfi recently.
As the name suggests it used to be a Convent and still has a private chapel which is used for Masses regularly.
The hotel is quirky and different from the more international type of place the staff are local, the breakfast excellent, and the location means wonderful views are visible for the bedrooms.
Light spaces, high ceilings, comfortable bed, scrupulously clean bathroom and character with each room being different - what more could you want.
Even when there was no hot water one morning the staff had a typically Italian, yet amusing response. "I am sorry Signora it is a penance of the convent"! What can you say!
I would recommend to anyone who likes authentically Italian hospitality.

Room Tip: Make sure you have the lovely harbour view
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

346 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Bern, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

If you are following my reviews, after Massa Lubrense (Villa Pina) we had booked 2 nights here.(18-20 Sept.) We could have stayed a lifetime!!!! Just the idea of staying in a convent/monastry founded by St. Francis of Assisi in 1220 is mind-boggling but it is breathtaking to come up in the lift to the reception (it is above street-level) which is actually in the cloisters. Our room was unfortunately not ready so we were offered refreshments in the cloister courtyard and were able to look forward to investigating the rest of this lovely hotel.We got room number 18, huge balcony and sea-view. We ate mostly in their restaurant, Torre Saracena across the road, i haven't reviewed it as it belongs to the hotel, but the food was excellent with fresh fish from the region and impeccable staff. We also made use of their private pool down by the sea and would thoroughly recommend the whole. It's a little pricey but you can't stay in an almost 800-year-old convent for nothing (even if you are a monk!)
If the hotel owners read this- Gracie Mille!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Cuckfield, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

The hotel is situated on a headland just east of the centre of Amalfi, in fairly easy walking distance from the town (though bear in mind there is no pavement!): entrance from street level is via a lift which takes you to reception, in one of the cloisters. The history of this wonderful building now begins to become clear as the cloisters surround a beautiful courtyard, set with tables and chairs: a fine spot for a pre-dinner drink. We were initially placed in room 12: a 'standard' room and though fairly small, it had a beautiful painted ceiling and one of the original arched windows. It was however right by the lift lobby, and being above a bend in the road was too noisy for light sleepers such as us. We asked for a move and this was facilitated the next morning without fuss. We were given room 7 which was ideal as we were then next to our friends. Again, a small room, but it did have a tiny balcony with views across the bay, and was much more peaceful. Breakfast was a generous buffet affair, with the option of sitting on an outside terrace on a fine morning. We loved this hotel: the service was polite, friendly and attentive and the hotel itself a real gem. We especially liked the tiled floors throughout, the painted ceilings in the restaurant, and the sense of history. It was also refreshing to note the lack of nagging notices in the bedroom and bathroom: the towels were changed regularly without the plea to consider the environment (which actually translates as a plea to consider the hotel's laundry bill!) Would return like a shot and recommend without hesitation.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Auckland, New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We had a deluxe sea view room that was great as it had a separate lounge and small balcony with great views. This is a 400 year old building and the bathroom was not as modern as you might expect but fine. The location is a five minute walk to town. The swimming pool is across the road and down a staircase right beside the sea. I swam in the sea but the pool looked very inviting. Breakfast was great on the balcony over looking the Med

Room Tip: overlooking the sea
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Jackson, NJ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything and I mean everything was excellent. The view from the room took my breath away. The staff was amazing and helpful in every way possible. Pepe who managed the pool was a very gracious and wonderful human being and very helpful with my wife who was not feeling to well. The pool and the swimming off the rocks into the sea was fantastic. The breakfasts were off the hook and my favorite meal of the day. I wish I could go back every summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is utterly beautiful in every way. The staff took care of my every need with out exception they were all attentive and charming. I booked a small economy room and was thrilled to have two windows with extraordinary sea views even whilst sitting in bed! It's difficult to describe the central courtyard but it felt like soul food just sitting there. There's something about the ancient architecture and its history of St Francis that's creates a feeling of peace and enchantment. I was travelling alone which is not the easiest thing to do but the staff made me feel like I was at home with friends which put me totally at ease. I was a bit concerned that I couldn't afford the restaurant but was delighted to discover I could. Huge fresh king prawns cooked to my exact specification were about £21 and the view from the restaurant terrace left me speechless. The pool area is also divine and swimming in the pool was like swimming in silk.. I asked Pepe (pool attendant) for information on the local beaches and he proudly told me where he was born which he described in as "the best place in the world" I asked him how I could get there are he arranged a free boat for me, no hidden charge or commission whatsoever just pure kind heartedness! I'm not publicising Pepe's birthplace place because it was utterly beautiful and i don't want to spoil its charm by swamping it with tourists so you'll need to ask Pepe yourself! I will be returning as soon as I possibly can, Amalfi captured my heart.
I'd also like to add that I was very frightened to travel on the Italian roads and its quite a challenging journey. I shopped around on the Internet and found a superb company which offered the best rate and they are willing to negotiate if you are a solo traveller. Both drivers took meticulous care and travelled very slowly around the hair pin bends. Their cars were very luxurious and they took the time to explain the various areas we were travelling through. I usually get car sick but they took such care that I was fine and I can even say quite relaxed during the journey! there is no direct way to get to Amalfi from Naples airport so I highly recommend this company:
info@limoservicesorrento.com
Telephone Coppola Lucio 0039/3497573782

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ocean Ridge, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked Luna Convento after spending hours online reading hotel reviews. Tripadvisor's reviewers, as always, were a great help.

My husband and I traveled to Amalfi in late July. I chose this hotel because it had good reviews, and price-wise was a little above the median price of hotels during our time of travel. I booked a superior sea view room with a balcony. Prior to leaving for Italy I reconfirmed all of my reservations and, this hotel included, made sure we were clear on the "superior sea view with a balcony" room. When we checked in, we were taken to---I don't know where we were taken, but it was probably the room that was built 800 years ago for the naughty monks. It was small, dark, 2 very tiny windows (but they had sea views!), and no balcony.

I let our bellman know that the room wasn't acceptable, that it wasn't what I booked, and it wasn't what was confirmed. I wanted a different room. Without much hassle I was taken to room 29. Now we're talkin'! Not one balcony, but 2!

The larger balcony overlooked an outdoor storage area and the place they hang the linens to dry, but it was my favorite balcony. The view was nothing short of spectacular. The smaller balcony was adjacent to balconies of other rooms on my floor. One morning I walked out to the smaller balcony and on the balcony a room away was a completely naked man. Full freaking frontal. He nonchalantly picked up his swim trunks, that I presume he'd left outside to dry, then turned and walked his little white butt back in his room. If this man hadn't been about 60, bald, and probably had the nickname "Nubby", this may have been my favorite balcony, but I never went out there again.

There is a 5 minute walk to the center of town along a curving, sloped busy road. There's no sidewalk, no shoulder, and no curb much of the way. It's a little unnerving the first few times, but there are many pedestrians on the road and, as much as I thought this may be a problem, it wasn't. Besides, you're walking along the Amalfi Coast!

In reading the reviews here the breakfasts get a bad rap. I thought they were the best I had in Italy. Cappuccinos brought to the table, assorted juices, pastries and bread, fruits, tomatoes, cheeses, and scrambled eggs and bacon. It was great. The restaurant manager was a dream. He was attentive and charming. I felt bad that we already had dinner reservations at other Amalfi Coast restaurants during our stay, so on our last night we skipped our reservation and had dinner at the hotel. It was, by far, the best dinner I had in Amalfi. I had the lemon pasta. My husband had rum.

Housekeeping was fine. The linens were changed daily, and the rooms were clean. In other reviews I read about Hotel Luna there were complaints about mold in the showers. There is a small amount of mold on the grout in the showers. The hotel manager was in my room one day and I explained to him that there were complaints on Tripadvisor about the mold. I explained to him that it was an easy fix for housekeeping. He just smiled at me, which doesn't give me much confidence that if you stay here there won't be some mold in the shower. It's not a reason to skip this hotel, but, if it bothers you, pack a can of Scrubbing Bubbles. I imagine that, because of the climate and the age of ALL properties on the Amalfi Coast, mold is an issue everywhere.

It was in the high 90's (F) when we were here. Housekeeping turned the AC off in the room every time we left. If you want your room cool when you return, tell them at the front desk. Perhaps they turn the air off because its too much of a load on the small room wall AC units. I only question that because our AC broke completely on the last night of our stay. The hotel staff promptly tried to fix it, but it was late, and there was no one there who knew how. We left our belongings in our room and we moved to a room that may have originally been built as a closet for the very-very bad monks. I'm not sure this room had a window. The mattress may have been stuffed with the bodies of the very-very bad monks. But it had AC!

Now, for the best thing about the property; the pool. Simply stunning. It's built across the street, down winding, steep steps, but it's worth the walk. It's a much larger area than it looks in photos. We spent an entire day there. Pepe is there to bring you cold drinks and tend to you. He also arranged for us to rent a 19' center console boat the following day. The price was 150e for the day. I'm sure Pepe got his cut, but we were fine with that--It's how most tourist places work, and worth the convenience of having the boat delivered to the pool. These boats have a 40hp motor and if you're not a complete moron, they're easy to drive.

In summary, I tend to be a bit of a princess when I travel and I don't want issues. But I'm also realistic and I can roll with circumstances as long as they're addressed appropriately. The position of this hotel, the wonderful staff, the history, and the pool make this hotel an incredible experience. I would, with out a doubt, be overjoyed to go back.

Tips: Ask to see the chapel--it's a treasure. And note there's no wifi in the rooms. The rooms vary greatly--room 39 or the room atop the fortress seem to be the primo rooms. I think it's important to specify a room at this hotel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna Convento? Share your experiences!