“Just Beautiful” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Jackson, NJ
“Just Beautiful”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Everything and I mean everything was excellent. The view from the room took my breath away. The staff was amazing and helpful in every way possible. Pepe who managed the pool was a very gracious and wonderful human being and very helpful with my wife who was not feeling to well. The pool and the swimming off the rocks into the sea was fantastic. The breakfasts were off the hook and my favorite meal of the day. I wish I could go back every summer.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

This hotel is utterly beautiful in every way. The staff took care of my every need with out exception they were all attentive and charming. I booked a small economy room and was thrilled to have two windows with extraordinary sea views even whilst sitting in bed! It's difficult to describe the central courtyard but it felt like soul food just sitting there. There's something about the ancient architecture and its history of St Francis that's creates a feeling of peace and enchantment. I was travelling alone which is not the easiest thing to do but the staff made me feel like I was at home with friends which put me totally at ease. I was a bit concerned that I couldn't afford the restaurant but was delighted to discover I could. Huge fresh king prawns cooked to my exact specification were about £21 and the view from the restaurant terrace left me speechless. The pool area is also divine and swimming in the pool was like swimming in silk.. I asked Pepe (pool attendant) for information on the local beaches and he proudly told me where he was born which he described in as "the best place in the world" I asked him how I could get there are he arranged a free boat for me, no hidden charge or commission whatsoever just pure kind heartedness! I'm not publicising Pepe's birthplace place because it was utterly beautiful and i don't want to spoil its charm by swamping it with tourists so you'll need to ask Pepe yourself! I will be returning as soon as I possibly can, Amalfi captured my heart.
I'd also like to add that I was very frightened to travel on the Italian roads and its quite a challenging journey. I shopped around on the Internet and found a superb company which offered the best rate and they are willing to negotiate if you are a solo traveller. Both drivers took meticulous care and travelled very slowly around the hair pin bends. Their cars were very luxurious and they took the time to explain the various areas we were travelling through. I usually get car sick but they took such care that I was fine and I can even say quite relaxed during the journey! there is no direct way to get to Amalfi from Naples airport so I highly recommend this company:
info@limoservicesorrento.com
Telephone Coppola Lucio 0039/3497573782

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Ocean Ridge, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2013

I booked Luna Convento after spending hours online reading hotel reviews. Tripadvisor's reviewers, as always, were a great help.

My husband and I traveled to Amalfi in late July. I chose this hotel because it had good reviews, and price-wise was a little above the median price of hotels during our time of travel. I booked a superior sea view room with a balcony. Prior to leaving for Italy I reconfirmed all of my reservations and, this hotel included, made sure we were clear on the "superior sea view with a balcony" room. When we checked in, we were taken to---I don't know where we were taken, but it was probably the room that was built 800 years ago for the naughty monks. It was small, dark, 2 very tiny windows (but they had sea views!), and no balcony.

I let our bellman know that the room wasn't acceptable, that it wasn't what I booked, and it wasn't what was confirmed. I wanted a different room. Without much hassle I was taken to room 29. Now we're talkin'! Not one balcony, but 2!

The larger balcony overlooked an outdoor storage area and the place they hang the linens to dry, but it was my favorite balcony. The view was nothing short of spectacular. The smaller balcony was adjacent to balconies of other rooms on my floor. One morning I walked out to the smaller balcony and on the balcony a room away was a completely naked man. Full freaking frontal. He nonchalantly picked up his swim trunks, that I presume he'd left outside to dry, then turned and walked his little white butt back in his room. If this man hadn't been about 60, bald, and probably had the nickname "Nubby", this may have been my favorite balcony, but I never went out there again.

There is a 5 minute walk to the center of town along a curving, sloped busy road. There's no sidewalk, no shoulder, and no curb much of the way. It's a little unnerving the first few times, but there are many pedestrians on the road and, as much as I thought this may be a problem, it wasn't. Besides, you're walking along the Amalfi Coast!

In reading the reviews here the breakfasts get a bad rap. I thought they were the best I had in Italy. Cappuccinos brought to the table, assorted juices, pastries and bread, fruits, tomatoes, cheeses, and scrambled eggs and bacon. It was great. The restaurant manager was a dream. He was attentive and charming. I felt bad that we already had dinner reservations at other Amalfi Coast restaurants during our stay, so on our last night we skipped our reservation and had dinner at the hotel. It was, by far, the best dinner I had in Amalfi. I had the lemon pasta. My husband had rum.

Housekeeping was fine. The linens were changed daily, and the rooms were clean. In other reviews I read about Hotel Luna there were complaints about mold in the showers. There is a small amount of mold on the grout in the showers. The hotel manager was in my room one day and I explained to him that there were complaints on Tripadvisor about the mold. I explained to him that it was an easy fix for housekeeping. He just smiled at me, which doesn't give me much confidence that if you stay here there won't be some mold in the shower. It's not a reason to skip this hotel, but, if it bothers you, pack a can of Scrubbing Bubbles. I imagine that, because of the climate and the age of ALL properties on the Amalfi Coast, mold is an issue everywhere.

It was in the high 90's (F) when we were here. Housekeeping turned the AC off in the room every time we left. If you want your room cool when you return, tell them at the front desk. Perhaps they turn the air off because its too much of a load on the small room wall AC units. I only question that because our AC broke completely on the last night of our stay. The hotel staff promptly tried to fix it, but it was late, and there was no one there who knew how. We left our belongings in our room and we moved to a room that may have originally been built as a closet for the very-very bad monks. I'm not sure this room had a window. The mattress may have been stuffed with the bodies of the very-very bad monks. But it had AC!

Now, for the best thing about the property; the pool. Simply stunning. It's built across the street, down winding, steep steps, but it's worth the walk. It's a much larger area than it looks in photos. We spent an entire day there. Pepe is there to bring you cold drinks and tend to you. He also arranged for us to rent a 19' center console boat the following day. The price was 150e for the day. I'm sure Pepe got his cut, but we were fine with that--It's how most tourist places work, and worth the convenience of having the boat delivered to the pool. These boats have a 40hp motor and if you're not a complete moron, they're easy to drive.

In summary, I tend to be a bit of a princess when I travel and I don't want issues. But I'm also realistic and I can roll with circumstances as long as they're addressed appropriately. The position of this hotel, the wonderful staff, the history, and the pool make this hotel an incredible experience. I would, with out a doubt, be overjoyed to go back.

Tips: Ask to see the chapel--it's a treasure. And note there's no wifi in the rooms. The rooms vary greatly--room 39 or the room atop the fortress seem to be the primo rooms. I think it's important to specify a room at this hotel.

Jose Ignacio, Uruguay
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

repeatedly asking for the price of the daily special resulted in smiles & grins of the staff. stupidly, i believed the price would be acceptable and in the range of the rest of the menu. I had not expected the Tuna Carpaccio to be twice of anything i have paid over the last two weeks for the equivalent dish on Capri. Even if highly priced, the grilled fish was very good.
the food was worth the price (except the tuna), but feel cheated because they 'refused' to simply state the price.... not becoming of a high-end establishment

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Ghent, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2013

During our stay Luna Convento offered us an unforgettable week: magnificent setting in an old monastery, unmatched views on Amalfi. Very friendly and warm staff made our stay perfect.
Especially Alfonso who is very professional. Alfonso was always there when we needed something and made us feel comfortable.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Sotogrande, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

What a wonderful stay. The hotel is in an amayzing position overlooking this wonderful coastline. We had a great room with spectacular views.
The main thing about this hotel is the warmth and care from the staff, it's almost like being with family.
A special mention needs to go to Mauritzio, what he doesn't know about wine or customer care isn't worth knowing. Make sure you ask him for local restaurant advise - especially the amayzing Teresa restaurant.
The only feedback to the owners would be to get a new uniform for the staff - shorts and an elegant open neck t shirt would look SO much better especially in the searing Summer heat !!
All in all a joy. Go book, and have a fabulous experience. We shall be back.

• Stayed July 2013
london
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2013

A caution to travellers, this hotel is not ‘rustic and charming’, it is run down, in need of a makeover and terrible value for money.

We arrived at the hotel, expecting comfortable and picturesque accommodation, in accordance with the reviews we had read online, and indulgence in line with the high rates. Unfortunately we were severely disappointed.

The rooms (which are appropriately described within the hotels own literature as ‘cells’) are dated, drab, small and uncomfortable. We booked a ‘superior’ room which offered a lovely vista over Amalfi and a large balcony, but not much else. There was not art on the walls to distract us from the basic furnishings. The shower leaked over the bathroom floor and water spilt into the bedroom. How they can justify the 300.00€ per night rate is a mystery.

The communal courtyard and pool area are definitely the stand out features of this hotel. The staff weren’t particularly friendly, although I did appreciate their old fashioned white waiters blazers and bow ties.

Having endured 1 night at Luna Convento, we checked out the next morning, cancelling our second night’s stay. We ventured back to hotel Palazzo Murat where we had stayed the preceding nights. We were thrilled and very lucky that the gorgeous Murat had a room available for us.

I’m sorry to have written such a scathing review, but I feel that the owners either need to pour some money back into this hotel, or reduce their rates drastically.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna Convento? Share your experiences!