“beautiful but expensive” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 30 Hotels in Amalfi
Uppsala, Sweden
“beautiful but expensive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013

A former monastery, a fantastic view over the Amalfi coast and Capri, a long elevator from street level up to the hotel, fantastic menues. This hotel is really something else! But it costs, one of the most expensive places I ever visited (and it was off-season).

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
London, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

We recently stayed at Luna Convento with our two young children, my sister and my parents, who are in their 70s. The staff at the hotel were consistently helpful, provided help with all kinds of details (booking cars for transport, restaurants, etc) and made us feel very welcome. They put all of us on the same floor so we could come and go freely, which the children made the best use of, and we had the right balance of service and comfort. The hotel overlooks the sea and the views are stunning. The food was remarkably good, from evening dinners with wine to an amazingly varied breakfast that satisfied everyone from me (mostly vegan) to my carnivorous husband. As evident from the name, Luna Convento has a long history as a convent and the hotel has modernised without losing the charm of the old architecture and layout of the convent. There is free wireless in the common areas and when it rained we enjoyed being in the hotel without feeling penned in. When the weather was better, we could walk into Amalfi or into neighboring towns. We are grateful to Marjorie Shaw from Insider's Italy for recommending this hotel and I would unhesitatingly recommend it. It was more expensive than I would normally pay for a hotel but well worth it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Prague, Czech Republic
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Beautiful hotel with the spirit and magic atmosphere. Staff was very helpful and friendly. The location was amazing, just couple of steps far away from the central square. Enjoy the breathtaking view from your room.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Chicago, Illinois, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

My husband and I were recently married in Amalfi, Italy (September 2012) and choose to host our intimate wedding reception and cocktail hour at the Hotel Luna Convento. We had visited Amalfi 4 years prior and just fell in the love with the city and specifically that restaurant. We had to go back! The cocktail hour was hosted in the hotel's cloister and was absolutely breathtaking and magical. It was the perfect beginning to our fun evening. The food and service was amazing and it complemented the already beautiful scenery and historic building. We then moved across the street to the hotel's sarcena tower for dinner. It is an open-air venue with panoramic views of the ocean. Because Amalfi is tucked into a nook surrounded by mountains, you don't get a frontward view of the sunset but it is still a beautiful and romantic setting. The food and service was also perfect! We had about 30 people at the reception and everyone raved about the food and wine. The local wines paired perfectly with our menu and we felt very honored to be able to celebrate in such a beautiful place. We finished the evening with some dancing and the service never faltered -- a small task given our crazy American families!

I would highly recommend this venue for a wedding reception or any other celebration. We did not stay at the hotel but have heard it is amazing. I know dealing with the management with details of our wedding was a breeze so I'm sure the hotel accommodations are the same!

Visit Amalfi. It is a truly magical place!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

How much can one ask for in life? Blue sky and the simmering water when the bright sun shine hits the water. I was not hot nor cold, it was just perfectly comfortable with that right mediterranean weather. All of that happen right in front of you when you open the window of your bedroom. I guarantee you will step ouf of that window, walk to the balcony where you can embrace more sun shine and heat in the middle of winter which was a big deal for a Canadian like me. That was my experience when I checked in to the hotel on Dec 30 2013.

The enjoyment did not end there. The next day, I had fun chatting with the friendly staff during breakfast. That evening, I had an unbelievably memorable new year's eve ever with the hotel.

By new year morning of 2013, the staff already know me and know how I like my coffee. If you have not stayed there, I think it's every penny that you pay for. amalfi is not the cheapest place to spend your vacations, but if you have made it there, make every moment

Room Tip: 3rd floor is nice, the highest you are, the farther you are from the busy street noise.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We were overwhelmed by the friendly, helpful staff at this hotel. They made what was a good choice of place to stay in Amalfi into an exceptional holiday. Cannot praise the experience enough. Coaching in italian (camere vinte sete!) was a highlight of our trip! Many thanks to all, from Pepe at the pool to the great reception staff, the ladies who looked after our room and the ever vigilant porters who retrieved our car from the car park on so many occasions. This review has been a long time coming (August 2012) but is, I hope, worth the wait!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Round Rock, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We planned our wedding to be a private event in Amalfi Italy. This is a small village on the cliffs of the Amalfi coast. The Luna is a converted 11th century Cloister or Convent. Our room was directly over the courtyard and was two floors with two separate very large private patios. The views were spectacular. Service was excellent. The only meals we ate at the hotel were breakfasts. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who wants to experience the magic of Amalfi.

Room Tip: Ask for the room directly overlooking the courtyard. If you get it, you have the best room in the e...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Luna Convento? Share your experiences!