“All round excellent experience” 5 of 5 stars

+39 335 535 3700
Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #7 of 95 Restaurants in Amalfi
Good for: Families with children, Romance, Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Dinner, Reservations, Delivery, Late Night
Description: recipes from the kitchen of the Kingdom of Naples and the Two Siciliescold cuts, cheeses and rusticpasta dishes with homemade meat sauce topped with Neapolitan or Sicilian sauce pork, lacane and chickpeas, soupsgrilled meat and bakedcodvegetableshomemade sweets
London, United Kingdom
“All round excellent experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2013

We were on a family holiday with my parents, brother and girlfriend during May this year and I can honestly say this was the culinary highlight of our week! I'd read the reviews on tripadvisor and it seemed a lovely, intimate place to spend the final night our trip... There was a huge storm in Amalfi night and we wound our way in a taxi up the bendy roads to the tavernna. We were greeted with first class hospitality from the second we arrive till when we left...

We all choose the menu of the house... It was absolutely gorgeous - my only watch out to people would be size... If you choose this menu don't eat before as it really is a feast! The meal began with an antipasti of local cheese and cured meats which were fresh and varied in flavour, it was then followed with a beef pasta dish - the sauce was full of flavour, followed by a local specialty of rolled beef and potatoes and finished off with a fresh, just of the oven cake...

Our hostess went out of our way to make our evening special... The prosecco and house wine were high quality and she even found gluten free pasta for me so I could enjoy pasta with the rest of my family.

The view from the terrace would have been perfect for watching the sunset had there not been a torrential storm.

Overall the experience was everything we were look for and more... Definitely a must to visit during your time in Amalfi.

If you are travelling from Amalfi do try and take the bus up the hill as taxis charge a premium.

• Visited May 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

94% Recommend
Pittsburgh
“Special evening”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2013

We had a wonderful evening at this very special little restaurant. I had contacted the owner ahead to see if she could accommodate different food allergies and she went out of her way to prepare for us. Everything was very fresh and cooked over a wonderful open grill. The views from this restaurant are spectacular. We took a van/cab from the Amalfi port which took about 15 minutes and booked him to return for us. He did not feel he could make it to the restaurants main entrance so we had to walk down over 100 steps to reach the restaurant. The owner said vans come to the main entrance all the time so hopefully future guests will know its ok to proceed there. We ate so much that the walk back up was good for us......

Visited July 2013
“Highest quality food”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2013

My wife and I had lunch yesterday. We had walked up from Amalfi and looked forward to a great lunch. This expectation was met by Fedrica. The meal started with a large mixed antipasta with some smoked meats ,cheeses and some grilled vegetables. Her home made pasta with porcini mushrooms was to die for. The Tagliatelle steak reminded me of what steak used to taste like.
Fantastic flavour. Fedrica helped pick a great white wine.. All together a superb meal. Sadly we were the only ones in the restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Roma
“Excellent experience of local cuisine”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

I went there on a whim looking for a local restaurant overlooking Amalfi. I was delighted by the friendly and delightful atmosphere. The family dedication to traditional cuisine made for a wonderful experience. I had the house "antipasta dei briganti" which was a meal unto itself, filled with a generous assortment of traditional local antipasta specialties. I was warmly treated like family by the staff. I highly recommend this restaurant.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Karachi, Pakistan
“What a great experience off the beaten track!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2013

We got to La Taverna dei Briganti purely because one of our party saw the sign on the road and insisted we go there. The rest of the gang wanted to go to somewhere in Amalfi town but were overruled by her persistence for no reason other than that it was something off the beaten path.

And what a great choice it turned out to be. After the initial shock on Federica's face when 8 adults and 6 children walked into her restaurant, she was amazing. Very helpful and very proud of her cooking and of cooking from the region, refusing to serve anything from other regions of Italy! The restaurant is a family run affair with the most amazing food. A fixed menu was 28 euros which includes wine, but there was a la carte as well and when she told us that her portions were large, most of us chose the latter. The Caprese was fantastic and the steak that I had was out of this world. No one complained about anything, including the kids who loved their pizzas. The service was great, a little slow at times only because Federica was taking orders, cooking and serving herself which is what gave the place an air of personalization rarely found elsewhere. She was genuinely concerned about serving us a special meal and it showed.

All ages 12-52 in our party walked out satisfied and wished that we had discovered this place earlier in our trip instead of a day before departure. We would certainly go there again.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere