“Friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Ranked #8 of 94 Restaurants in Amalfi
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine, Special occasions, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Montecastrilli, Italy
“Friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

The food at this restaurant was better than average but it was the friendliness of the staff that made it special, particularly as in many of the restaurants in Amalfi the staff were indifferent. We went there for dinner three times and enjoyed it each time

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

• Turkish first
Sydney
“Friendly service, average food”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We chose this place in a hurry (a combination of jet-lag, a hungry child, and wanting to get away from the Cathedral crowds) and I think that if we'd had more time to peruse restaurants that we would have gone elsewhere. Positives: our waitress was very friendly and spoke excellent English. But, with one exception, the food was all quite bland. The caprese salad had tomatoes that were not quite ripe and the traditional Campanian pasta with prawns and chickpeas contained an abundance of chickpeas but it was like playing "Where's Wally?" to find a prawn! The dish that was the standout was the whole sea bass. That fish was fresh and cooked to perfection.

This restaurant also provided my first encounter with Amalfi mosquitoes - we had to go and buy repellant mid-meal. Of course, that's not the restaurant's fault but as a word of warning: if you are planning on eating outside in Amalfi take bug spray!

• Visited September 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Personal service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013 via mobile

We ate here several times. At dinner we enjoyed it very much, especially the personal service and family ownership. The food was very good but not exceptional. My eggplant parmigiana seemed a little over cooked to me. At lunch time, we ate indoors, had pizza which was good, but not exceptional. There was a problem with flies outdoors that day-- that's why we chose indoors where we did not have a problem. There was an air conditioner, but open window. It was quite warm.

Visited September 2013
Vilnius, Lithuania
“Hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

Few steps away from the main street on a nice courtyard, but what a cusine. We were 4 people trying diferent dishes and everything was just superb, melting in the mouth. Lasagna is rare on Amalfi coast, here it was excelent. Waiters are very quick and friendly and attentive, 5 star service. Leave place for tiramisu. Highly recomended.

Visited September 2013
Toronto, Canada
“Great Food..Great Atmosphere.Great People”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

We recently returned from a 16 day trip through Amalfi and Tuscany.This was my first trip to Italy and I must say it will not be my last.
L' ABSIDE restaurant is located within the main plaza in the town of Amalfi. As I did my initial walk about of the town..I stumbled upon this family run gem. I took a quick look at both the food on the plates as I walked p[ast and the smiles on the patrons faces. I quickly returned to see if we could get a table....
The staff at L'ABSIDE went out of their way to get us seated and made the evening a true pleasure.
The Food...thee were 4 in our party so this allowed us to sample the menu...I am not sure if a run down of the meals is necessary...(we actually ate here on our 3rd night as well)...on the promise that Moma's lasagna was the best in Italy....it was outstanding.
Giovanna....the daughter of the family went out of her way to suggest great food combinations and suggested wines from the region which were simply outstanding.
YES.....I will return to Amalfi....YES...I will return to L'ABSIDE to dine again....in the meantime I have wonderful memories of both the food and the warm welcome .

• Visited September 2013